Glasgow pips other UK cities for investment says London boss

Moderators: bill, Clive

Iain

Glasgow pips other UK cities for investment says London boss

Post by Iain »

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business ... ndon-boss/

......but not when it comes to the airport! How come other businesses like national and international hotel chains invest millions in Glasgow but airlines won't invest in the airport? I wonder......
bill

Re: Glasgow pips other UK cities for investment says London boss

Post by bill »

Iain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:54 am https://www.heraldscotland.com/business ... ndon-boss/

......but not when it comes to the airport! How come other businesses like national and international hotel chains invest millions in Glasgow but airlines won't invest in the airport? I wonder......
Good point Iain.Give me a couple of minutes to think and I'll get right back to you.Oh wait, I've got it...AGS.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Maybe Glasgow City Council should come full circle and operate GLA again ? Or in conjunction with Renfrewshire Council, where it's located ? MAN certainly seems to have prospered under similar ownership. I really think AGS are a burst baw these days.
bill

Post by bill »

It's amazing that every sector of commerce has had unfaltering confidence in the city except the airport bosses. Hotels,office blocks going up all over the place but you'll struggle to get here, unless you go via LHR from most parts of the world. There's that AGS link again,Provan is also Heathrow-centric as well as anti-loco isn't he?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

bill wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:30 pm It's amazing that every sector of commerce has had unfaltering confidence in the city except the airport bosses. Hotels,office blocks going up all over the place but you'll struggle to get here, unless you go via LHR from most parts of the world. There's that AGS link again,Provan is also Heathrow-centric as well as anti-loco isn't he?
Guilty until Provan innocent. i.e. get a Ryanair base secured or get off the plot. IMHO.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Iain

Post by Iain »

bill wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:30 pm It's amazing that every sector of commerce has had unfaltering confidence in the city except the airport bosses. Hotels,office blocks going up all over the place but you'll struggle to get here, unless you go via LHR from most parts of the world. There's that AGS link again,Provan is also Heathrow-centric as well as anti-loco isn't he?
I think these things repeatedly come back to the same issue - I suspect that it's not a lack of demand for flights to and from GLA that's the problem - its that far too much of that demand that does exist is travelling via other airports, whether down the M8 or down the M77.....

…….. and I think much of the blame of that has to lie with the people in charge at GLA because they're not attracting in the airlines and routes that people want and need.

Wrt a public buy out I'm not sure. MAN has done well obviously, but look at PIK and CWL!
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Iain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:01 pm
Wrt a public buy out I'm not sure. MAN has done well obviously, but look at PIK and CWL!
Yes, but have Prestwick or Cardiff "pipped other UK cities for investment" ? My point being perhaps city ownership now, is in the best interests of the airport and it's patrons . Lest we forget that was in the fact the case pre BAA when GLA first existed.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:01 pm
I think these things repeatedly come back to the same issue - I suspect that it's not a lack of demand for flights to and from GLA that's the problem - its that far too much of that demand that does exist is travelling via other airports, whether down the M8 or down the M77.....

…….. and I think much of the blame of that has to lie with the people in charge at GLA because they're not attracting in the airlines and routes that people want and need.

Both facilities have survived and are secure whereas if they had been purely private businesses they would have closed down. I’d suggest both are glad they were saved by public buy outs.

The ultimate owners of airports don’t really matter - it’s usually a conglomeration of overseas pension funds or an investment house at the end of the day. What’s got to be more important is the airport management board, the depths of the parent companies pockets and their outlook on risk and reward. Plus of course the global, national and regional economic situation. Plus the regional competitive situation, the government’s outlook, and world affairs like pandemics, wars and recessions.

In a perfect world GLA and GLA alone would operate in a bubble above all of that. Sadly it has to operate in the real world.

All IMHO of course.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.