WTM 2022

Moderators: bill, Clive

GeorgeNTravels

Re: WTM 2022

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Clive wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:34 pm
GeorgeNTravels wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:52 pm
GKirk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:15 am Interesting that most passengers on the FI GLA-KEF are just doing there and back currently. Would have thought majority would be connecting onwards given the lack of direct flights.
Should have seen my face when he said that :lol:
He reckons the GLA tx market is weak so what chance do GLA bosses have?
The main point he raised was BA have such a strong presence on the route that people are using that, plus during covid, transferring flights in your home country was easier than an international change so that swayed people's choices. I suspect we will see a shift in 2023 when people see what happened this year.
Paris

Post by Paris »

GKirk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:15 am Interesting that most passengers on the FI GLA-KEF are just doing there and back currently. Would have thought majority would be connecting onwards given the lack of direct flights.
There are plenty of direct flights a short drive, bus ride, train & tram hop away … The choice of direct flights has probably never been better. EDI is easier to transit from some parts of the metropolitan Glasgow area than GLA is and where it’s not easier? It’s not made that difficult to get to cheaply & quickly. The present infrastructure to EDI from Gr. Glasgow & the rest of the country in general is better than ever. Not great for GLA’s International portfolio, but in the real world, GLA had these Customers & the routes they offered. The business was theirs to either grow or lose… 🤷🏻‍♂️
hads

Post by hads »

Glasgow conurbation has approx 1.7 people . Around half of that live east of the Kingston Bridge or similar.
If I left right now to go towards GLA, it would take me approx 35-40 minutes for a 16 mile journey.
If I did the same but went on M80 to EDI, it would take 45- 50 minutes for a 35 mile journey.
There the problem right there.
10 minutes longer or endure 2 flights.
A no brainer.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:26 am Glasgow conurbation has approx 1.7 people . Around half of that live east of the Kingston Bridge or similar.
If I left right now to go towards GLA, it would take me approx 35-40 minutes for a 16 mile journey.
If I did the same but went on M80 to EDI, it would take 45- 50 minutes for a 35 mile journey.
There the problem right there.
10 minutes longer or endure 2 flights.
A no brainer.
25 mins to GLA at the mo from Asda (or McDonalds, haha) according to Google Maps and 46 to Turnhoose but yes, for those in the central belt, EDI looms large. That’s a fact of life that GLA has had to live with as EDI expanded and that’s not even anything to do with public transport.

Luckily for me it doesn’t apply as I’m 1 hour west of GLA.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

25 mins to GLA at the mo from Asda (or McDonalds, haha) according to Google Maps

But you need to factor in the four lanes into two lanes on approach. Continuing till 2025...
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:08 pm 25 mins to GLA at the mo from Asda (or McDonalds, haha) according to Google Maps

But you need to factor in the four lanes into two lanes on approach. Continuing till 2025...
It factors in the traffic conditions but what I do every morning is stay in the left hand lane after the M80 merge onto the M8 right up as far as the junction at the hospital then get in, beating about 4000 vehicles in the process. Same with the never ending roadworks by Stow College. 🚙
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

I throw ginger bottles at drivers that do that!