Glasgow soars up the rankings in latest World’s Best Cities Report

Moderators: bill, Clive

Iain

Glasgow soars up the rankings in latest World’s Best Cities Report

Post by Iain »

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/238 ... es-report/
City leaders have welcomed a new global report which has ranked Glasgow as the 61st best city on the planet.

The annual World’s Best Cities Report by global place branding advisor Resonance Consultancy has seen Scotland’s largest city soar up the rankings from its 93rd position last year.

Glasgow is the second ranked UK city after London, which came in again as the world’s best city, with Manchester 11 places behind at 72. Liverpool was ranked at 74, Birmingham at 85 and Leeds at 88.
Ekally1

Glasgow world ranking

Post by Ekally1 »

atuk

Re: Glasgow world ranking

Post by atuk »

There is also an article in today’s Herald regarding the lack of rail link. I know we are not allowed to compare this but only three of Scotland’s airports have direct link- PIK on site and ABZ/INV connected bus link.

Another airport to the east has an “interchange” tram rail bus but regards bus and coach connectivity leaves all other airports standing in the starting blocks. It’s high time thatGLA looked at opportunities on their doorstep- bus services from Ayrshire passing it door, through Citylink services from Dundee, Perth Stirling as well as connections from Lothians and Fife.
Last edited by atuk on Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

atuk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:07 am There is also an article in today’s Herald regarding the lack of rail link. I know we are not allowed to compare this but only three of Scotland’s airports have direct link- PIK on site and ABZ/INV connected bus link.

Another airport to the east has an “interchange” tram rail bus but regards bus anc coach connectivity leaves all other airports standing in the starting blocks. It’s high time that GLAlooked at opportunities on their doorstep- bus services from Ayrshire passing it door, through Citylink services from Dundee, Perth Stirling as well as connections from Lothian and Fife.
It's probably a chicken and egg scenario....but what's the point in all these bus routes to GLA when the flight destinations on offer, other than bucket and spade, are seriously lacking.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Sharpal7 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:23 pm [quote=atuk post_id=10735 time=<a href="tel:1698390458">1698390458</a> user_id=75]
There is also an article in today’s Herald regarding the lack of rail link. I know we are not allowed to compare this but only three of Scotland’s airports have direct link- PIK on site and ABZ/INV connected bus link.

Another airport to the east has an “interchange” tram rail bus but regards bus anc coach connectivity leaves all other airports standing in the starting blocks. It’s high time that GLAlooked at opportunities on their doorstep- bus services from Ayrshire passing it door, through Citylink services from Dundee, Perth Stirling as well as connections from Lothian and Fife.
It's probably a chicken and egg scenario....but what's the point in all these bus routes to GLA when the flight destinations on offer, other than bucket and spade, are seriously lacking.
[/quote]

They had plenty opportunity to do so when traffic levels were higher.
Iain

Post by Iain »

atuk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:32 pm
Yes, exactly right! A whole variety of people have been in charge at the airport over the years and they all seem to have consistenly failed to recognise the problem and/or failed to tackle it.

Even if we accept it as a chicken and egg situation, at the same time the airport maybe need to put money up front to get the ball rolling. Many years ago when the EDI-Glasgow bus started it appeared to often be pretty empty, but it was seemingly supported through that and it clearly paid off big time. Now GLA have to deal with a bus service sucking thousands of pax out the centre of thier catchment to their main rival. The failure of previous GLA managements to identify that as an issue or try to fight back was imo a major error.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Iain wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:47 pm [quote=atuk post_id=10745 time=<a href="tel:1698424328">1698424328</a> user_id=75]

Yes, exactly right! A whole variety of people have been in charge at the airport over the years and they all seem to have consistenly failed to recognise the problem and/or failed to tackle it.

Even if we accept it as a chicken and egg situation, at the same time the airport maybe need to put money up front to get the ball rolling. Many years ago when the EDI-Glasgow bus started it appeared to often be pretty empty, but it was seemingly supported through that and it clearly paid off big time. Now GLA have to deal with a bus service sucking thousands of pax out the centre of thier catchment to their main rival. The failure of previous GLA managements to identify that as an issue or try to fight back was imo a major error.
[/quote]

It’s actually two bus services now: the 900 Glasgow Edinburgh via airport overnight, the AIR all day and into late night early morning plus the new service 902 linking Monklands and Livingstone with EDI.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Geez I regret putting this on now .. a positive for glasgow city has turned into a battle with edi biased folk .. quite sad .. wasn't meant to be like that ..
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

It's always the "same" people unfortunately, this is the GLASGOW section of the forum, sadly some feel the need to constantly put the city down, if you don't have anything nice to say about GLASGOW, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND FINGERS OFF THE KEYS!

if you are only here for other airports, then there are forums for you, i personally am here for glasgow, city and airport

Dabaaby out!
atuk

Re: Glasgow soars up the rankings in latest World’s Best Cities Report

Post by atuk »

awwdabaaby wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:27 pm It's always the "same" people unfortunately, this is the GLASGOW section of the forum, sadly some feel the need to constantly put the city down, if you don't have anything nice to say about GLASGOW, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND FINGERS OFF THE KEYS!

if you are only here for other airports, then there are forums for you, i personally am here for glasgow, city and airport

Dabaaby out!
Let’s put the record straight right now. This wasn’t a get at Glasgow but simply confirming a fact raised by another forum user.

I have spent 27 years of my career in Glasgow city centre as well as a further four years in two of its suburbs. I owe a lot of living to two Glasgow founded and based companies and it’s great to see positive news about the city.

That said there is loads of scope for improvement starting with City of Glasgow Council where my wife spent all of her working career. Dirty streets, beggars at every street corner, some favourite restaurants no longer there: it requires a refresh and not too soon. I simply don’t see the civic pride of the Garden Festival, City of Culture and 2014.