Sun, sea and lemons

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Sun, sea and lemons

Post by atuk »

It’s three years since our last trip to Nice. The day of our return flight was the day FlyBe collapsed followed by me initially losing my job, then reinstated, then furloughed, unfurloughed, paid off then rehired again in Autumn 21. A real rollercoaster time.

So this time I was determined there would be no dampeners; more so since our 40th wedding anniversary was spent behind closed doors, no going out, no visitors allowed in but thank goodness for telephone and technology allowing family Zoom calls with Ian and Bearsden.

Once again BA holidays provided flights and hotel flying from Edinburgh and Heathrow. All our flights were operated by A320neos “NL, NP, NR and NT”. Great aircraft, superb flights and excellent cabin crew, food and drinks. Whatever is said about BA they really have upped their game with hot meals replacing cold plates on European services.

Nice was hosting the 170th anniversary of their Carnival but we arrived in the midst of a nationwide strike against government proposals to increase pension age and benefits! Strikes are not just a UK event! Cue an expensive €40 taxi ride for the two miles or so to our hotel; the alternative was Shanks pony - not an option with a suitcase each.

It was great to return to Nice. Waking up to daylight then sunny skies we spent Friday in Nice, Saturday in Antibes, Sunday in Menton and Monday in Cagnes sur Mer then back in Nice. The local buses and trains were easy to use once you negotiated the interchange system and available tickets. Not only was it Carnival time in Nice Menton was celebrating the Fete du Citroen and very artistic and colourful it was too. With static exhibits constructed of lemons and oranges the theme was operas so there was Carmen, Aida, Lakme and Madam Butterfly complete with music to match! Be careful of your arias dear :lol: in amongst the exhibits was a statue of a supine woman displaying all her wares. Allo,allo, it eez the picture of The Fallen Fergie of zee juicy jaffas! :lol:

If I was wealthy enough I would take a villa there for every February it’s simply breathtaking and with the Italian Riviera on its doorstep too. Those BCal 1-11s to Genoa many years ago on Horizon charters from Glasgow.

All in all a lovely holiday: great weather, culture, food, drinks and flights what more could you ask for?