Two trips to LGW

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Two trips to LGW

Post by atuk »

The first was to visit the annual Aviation Convention at Crawley on Sunday 7th May but nothing could get me to LGW in time for 1000 apart from an horrendously expensive flight on BA from GLA - so cue an EZY return on Saturday 6th May from my workplace airport with a short extra shift on QR followed by boarding a KL to AMS. The plus point was seeing my best friend and family and in laws before they travelled out to IST and I boarded my LGW flight

EZY provided one of the many registered A320s,EZJC, which was perfectly comfortable but the weather both up here and down south was awful. The wettest I’ve ever seen at Grotty Gatwick! I can’t help thinking that EZY have taken on too many aircraft and given the TUI seat allocations on BA have bitten off more than they can chew resulting in these mass cancellations.

The convention was excellent and purchased a very informative book about Britain’s airline entrepreneurs including the late Derek Davison, Alan Snudden,, Adam Thomson, Bill Armstrong of Britannia, Monarch, British Caledonian and Court Line respectively. A snitch at £25.

Cue return journey back to a soggy LGW and a view from the bridge plus a delayed departure back to base in the fog which stretched most of the A90 back to Dundee.

A few weeks later saw Mrs C and I journey down to GLA courtesy of Citylink and the 500 for an overnight stay and tasty dinner in Renfrew’s Piccolo Mondo with Piper One, Bearsden, Ian and Captain Offload plus spouses. An early start next morning for a right shiny 321Neo, NEOU to LGW. This was followed by a 321 ceo EUXM to PFO. A really good flight on BA Euroflyer with fantastic cabin crew and one of the best inflight meals on BA- a tasty beef stroganoff. Did I mention they ran out of G&Ts; thankfully there were some spares from down the back!

A restful week in PFO staying with friends and visiting Larnaca and Nicosia for a couple of nights. The weather was mixed, humid and cloudy then sunny then thunderstorms! Most unseasonal.

The return flight was on a 320neo TTNJ again good but not as good as BA Euroflyer - maybe BA are on a winner here. Cue an on time sunset arrival into LHR we waited a hour for bags due to a ULD becoming jammed coming out of the aircraft hold.

Anyway a quick taxi to our hotel with the Sunday spent in Windsor and Richmond and Monday in Kingston upon Thames - no visit toCentral London due to Tube strikes, rail engineering works and events in Central London resulting in street closures and diversions. We shall visit again once the summer season has ended.

A quick flight back to GLA on 320 EUUS with another overnight stay followed by the 500 then Ember electric coach back to Dundee before heading back to work next day for AC refresher training.