Mega Golden Jubilee Trip.

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Mega Golden Jubilee Trip.

Post by atuk »

Well the glorious 12th saw me reach that magical age, plus pension book, yet I don’t look a day over 70! ;) 8-)

The following day saw me board a BA 320 EUUP from EDI-LHR. Fifty years previously it was a British Caledonian 1-11 ASJF from GLA-NCL. The cabin service director greeted me when boarding and I told him it was a special day for me. He asked the seat number and gave me a glass of champagne after breakfast. A nice touch and very much appreciated even though it wasn’t 0800!

Co-incidentally it was also fifty years ago since my first ever visit to LHR when on holiday with relatives in Orpington. One smooth landing later then spending some hours in the lounge it was time to board a nice NEO TTNB to Milan Malpensa, an airport I first visited in 1982 flying with BY from LGW on 737 AVRL. Milan provided lots of spotting opportunities landslide from The large glass windows behind the check in area and once airside a good cafe area with a reasonably priced breakfast. Amongst all the usual suspects were a LAN 77W in a special colour scheme and an Air Senegal 321 plus a La Compagnie 321Neo which used the EZY terminal: a business class airline using a low cost terminal!

After an overnight stop it was time to checkin for SAS flight 1686 to CPH. I wasn’t over excited given my last few flights on “Sour and Surly” had been nothing to write home about and the service, or lack of it, was woeful. However it again was a nice NEO this time EI-SII and although I was seated in economy I checked into 5F two rows behind the Plus section. The cabin crew were much friendlier and younger, and served my meal promptly without having to ask for it. Free tea and coffee were served, I had two teas, and we landed slightly late having made good time from a delayed departure from MXP.

I had around three hours in CPH and had the most expensive airport Food offering ever! Two beers and a cheeseburger with roast potatoes DKR329! Around £38! Choke! :o that said it had a great window view of arriving and departing traffic. I even saw a SAS 350 as well as a couple of 330s. The last leg was a CR9 to DUS operating SK627. Cue those DAA tags, oh how I love these, but as I checked in a bag I wasn’t subjected to this.

After a good flight I had two nights in DUS so decided to visit CGN on Tuesday before flying back to EDI via LHR next day. There were Ryanair in all their guises a plenty matched by Eurowings, UPS, FedEx and DHL.

The train ticket included both DUS and CGN public transport so decided to visit the local village of Porz close to CGN. Not before visiting the staff shop and purchasing some gifts and also the shop close to Eurowings offices which sell LH branded goods amongst others.

Porz offered shelter from the afternoon brief thunderstorm: Monday night provided lots of bangs and flashes in DUS too. The Germans,like us, haven’t had the best of summers. The train service is fast, efficient and has many new sets replacing the worn out SBahn sets. One highlight was seeing a very smart engine in the sidings close to Koln Hauptbanhof with the carriages of The Rheingold Express. Very smart, a bit like an electric version of The Royal Scot.

The next day I was back at DUS. Are these stripes I see before me? In gold, green, red and yellow?
330s, 320s, 321s and the, still, obligatory 757-300s? Very fitting as Condor was the launch customer. I still have my 757-300 badge very kindly given to me back in Airport Timetables days.
Along with these were lots and lots of Eurowings aircraft, some TUIFly, how the mighty have fallen, a smattering of LH and of course QR; my bread and butter these days. One surprise was Southwind with a 77W and a 7M8. Turkish but originally Russian! And from AYT despite the glut of Sun Express and Pegasus flights.

It was soon time to check in and board my flight back to LHR but a wee spotting tip: there is no longer a terrace at DUS. Much missed, I know, but instead use the P7 car park to level 8 the roof terrace or buy a snack, drink, light lunch in Nordsee. Their fish soup is to die for as are the Bismarks! Herring rolls to the uninitiated.

Anyway back to planes another 320 EUYD to LHR then older sister EUUH to EDI. Two good BA flights, checked in bags arrived with no issues plus nice meals and lots of gins as I wasn’t driving but instead using the X90 Dundee airport bus. One of the best, most convenient things EDI has done.

Back to Blighty before next two trips in exactly one month: MUC and OPO both from GLA.
Last edited by atuk on Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
1-11

Re: Mega Golden Jubilee Trip.

Post by 1-11 »

Atuk,
firstly congrats on getting making your Pension !

Also thank you for a very extensive trip report, it made great reading.
( There have been a dearth of TR's ever since , - you know. )

You also awakend several memories for me, my first flight was also on a BCal 1-11 (G-ASJI, way back in April 1976 ) and I also remember the Spectators terrace at DUS. ( I think I still have some old photos I took there )
I must admit I have not been in CPH since April 1998 and even then, the beer prices were eye-popping !
CGN is a regular stop for me, ( although I prefer Pils to Kolsch ) but it's a nice wee aiport with the chance of spotting a few rare birds.

So thanksagain, and I will look forward to futher posts from your next trips.
atuk

Re: Mega Golden Jubilee Trip.

Post by atuk »

Thank you 1-11. Tomorrow is GLA- MUC via LHR. Hopefully I’ll see some new aircraft from LH et al.