Oktoberfest near MUC

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Oktoberfest near MUC

Post by atuk »

My annual trip with friend and fellow spotter took us to Munich this year. As I’m a BA frequent flyer and he is KLM we had separate flights: mine via LHR his via AMS to meet up in Munich Airport staying in Hallebergmoos between the two runways.

For me it was a GLA departure on 319 PO then 320 UB - no new Neos for me this time. Check in and security at GLA was a breeze and a 05 take off provided views of Inchinnan, my former home, then the misty lower slopes of the Kilpatrick Hills. I could almost hear Miss Brodie intone the words of Keats to her class: “Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness”. A fine view of Loch Lomond before turning south and the landing at LHR was on 9R so a quick taxi toT5A followed.

After a sojourn in the lounge it was time to board UB for the flight to Munich. Although the weather at LHR was clear there were a few bumps on the climb out then views of Margate and Kent coastline before crossing to Ostend then towards the German border before clouds obscured the views below. Onboard service was, as usual, good and food and drinks very welcome.

Both our flights landed in a mini monsoon of heavy rain and more than a gentle breeze! After a quick reccy of the gates at T1 we made our way to the DB ticket office to buy a local travel card for the next few days. The journey to the hotel involved an SBahn S8 trip two stations down the line to Hallbergmoos then a local bus to the Premier Inn. Dinner was in a local restaurant cum bier garten schnitzel and weissbier.

The next day was cloudy in the morning but it brightened up mid afternoon and we spent it at T2 where LH and Star Alliance carriers predominate: AC, CA,NH, SQ, plus EN regional flights. Plenty of aircraft but there are some unusual aircraft not seen in the UK. Dash 8-400s of Croatia and Luxair being two.

Friday was spent at T1 with Condor, Marabu (CondorLight) TUI, Eurowings, Delta Air France, KLM, BA, Icelandair,EnterAir, Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Turkish Sun Express, Pegasus, Sky, Tailwind,Egyptair, easyJet and Tunis Air. The sun shone and the wind blew and by late afternoon we both sported a Red Indian complexion despite the sun screen.

The locals take Oktoberfest very seriously and there were men in lederhosen and ladies in drindl skirts; all very traditional. At one point I looked at Alistair saying “ if you go to Mr Granger’s counter” regards a burly gent sporting a fetching hat with pins and feathers! Cue stifled laughter!
Instead of returning to the hotel we went directly to Freising a local haunt of mine and had dinner there in amongst traditionally clad locals and music to boot. Cue more food- goulash- and more weissbier. Prost!

The final day was Saturday and I left Alistair,whose flight had a late afternoon departure, for check in and security. Don’t be misled by claims of no laptops or bags ……Milan and Dusseldorf had new scanners but Munich no. So just like at home laptops and liquids out for inspection. One anomaly at GLA was my watch which had to be removed and placed in the tray - I’ve not encountered that anywhere else in the UK.

Another two flights a 319 OE to LHR then 320 OE to GLA. Heathrow was its usual arrivals mode; one UKBA staff member to check manual passports and visas plus those like me whose passports were rejected by the EGates. Up to security and once again queues laptops and liquids out although there have been trials with new scanners removing the need for these items to be removed from your hand baggage. Perhaps the targets weren’t met?

All in all a very enjoyable trip with lots to see and enough variety to whet the appetite and maintain interest. One thing I have discovered though is that I’m addicted to Neos. I wish all my flights were on Neos as they are quieter and smoother than the older, now aging, ceos.

I’ll know more on Monday when the next trip is also from GLA, this time OPO with Bearsden, Ian, their spouses and MrsC.