Double French

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Double French

Post by atuk »

No, not a cognac -or something else not suitable for this forum- but two trips to two French cities taken in quick succession.

The first was our what has almost become an annual trip to Nice close to our anniversary date. So cue Saturday 17th February for a short flight to LHR from EDI on 321Neo OW followed by 320 NA resplendent in multi toned blue and looking very smart indeed.

All the flights were on time and it was nice to land in Nice ( pardon the pun) in daylight and get to our hotel before sundown followed by a light dinner as we had already eaten earlier in the day. The next day saw us take the train to Menton for Le Fete du Citroen; colourful as always and this year’s theme was Disney! We also visited Cagnes sur Mer and Antibes during our stay and savoured every minute of sunshine, heat, blue sea and sky. We even had a rooftop drink in the sister hotel to one we stayed in regularly from 2013 and the barman remembered us from Hotel Gounod days. Hopefully we can return next year although that will not be February but likely to be much later in the year.

Time flew all too quickly and it was soon time to return to NCE for the return flights. Old banger 320 UP took us back to LHR circling around Biggin Hill making me firstly acknowledge the bravery of those this who fought during WW2 who made today’s world possible and the fact that we can all fly in relative peace. My late father’s cousin was one of those airmen would sadly didn’t return and was shot down on a bombing raid to Berlin in 1942. Back on terrafirma and time to change aircraft for the last leg to EDI. A pleasant surprise was yet another 321 Neo this time as a result of a last minute aircraft change. OY did the honours and yet another good flight on a Neo: I think I’m becoming addicted to them - move over Boeing!

Early March saw me use miles to book a last minute flight and hotel accommodation at CDG so I could visit there and ORY. As most folks who know me well know that I’m an infrequent visitor to the French capital: my last visit was in 2017 and before that 1995! As Miss Brodie would say “an acquired taste for those that like that sort of thing” That said the allure of French wide bodies ( aircraft-of course; madame doesn’t permit largesse on her premises) :lol: and leisure carriers proved too much moreso given that the terrace in DUS has gone and FRA remains closed until late March.

Anyway I was able to visit ORY and see Corsair, no longer part of TUI, French Bee, La Compagnie, Air Caraibes, Transavia France including their first 320 Neo, Vueling, Air France 777s, Azul, WIzz, EasyJet and Air Algerie provided plenty variety; even if at times the going was slow.

CDG didn’t disappoint either: Delta 339s, lots of FedEx and UPS, Air Senegal, Air Tahaiti Nui, AF by the barrow load, easyJet, Skyteam long haul from Korean, AeroMexico, China Eastern, plus all the usual LHR regular carriers.

My outbound flights were on 320 YL followed by 319 PO and the return flights by 32N NT then 321Neo OT. All were very good and the little package of drinks and snacks for the room was much appreciated. Is attend at the Holiday In Express CDG on the CDGVAL; stop Parking place R with an apron view room.

Our next trip is with Bearsden, Ian,and spouses, again EDI: this time to CTA with EZY however June will see a GLA departure to PMI followed by an ABZ departure to MAN. The next mega mission is partially booked from GLA-LGW on the everyday that fifty years ago I flew on long lamented, much missed, BCal on the same route. This time an Airbus will replace the BAC-11 500. Watch out for more details.
bill

Re: Double French

Post by bill »

Nice report atuk. Sounds like you had a great time in the Cote d'Azur.Antibes is a great place, I love it. Have you ever gone up to Biot? Such a cool place to visit.Glad you're also coming round to Airbus over Boeing too. :lol:
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Interesting read atuk. Hope my info was up to date.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Thanks chaps and thanks Sharpal7 CDG info was useful. There has been lots of building work there so ended up using the Navette around the terminals on the Friday.
Speedbird Julie

Post by Speedbird Julie »

Sounds like you had a fab time.

I really don't get the hate some people have for CDG. I've never had a problem there and as you say the spotting opportunities are tremendous. It would be great to see AF at GLA.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Thanks all. A couple of corrections: The Nice Carnival theme was Disney and Fete du Citroen was The Olympics.

I’ve not been to Boit, Bill is it near Grasse? cDG was fine Julie and the staff at the hotel were very friendly. Mind you I did speak French which helped.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Speedbird Julie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:54 am I really don't get the hate some people have for CDG. I've never had a problem there and as you say the spotting opportunities are tremendous. It would be great to see AF at GLA.
They really should give it another shot, this time with a proper frequency on the A220.
atuk

Post by atuk »

southflyer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:14 am [quote="Speedbird Julie" post_id=11688 time=<a href="tel:1712832850">1712832850</a> user_id=415]
I really don't get the hate some people have for CDG. I've never had a problem there and as you say the spotting opportunities are tremendous. It would be great to see AF at GLA.
They really should give it another shot, this time with a proper frequency on the A220.
[/quote]

Agreed plus the A220 is a nice aircraft if a tad noisy.
Speedbird Julie

Post by Speedbird Julie »

atuk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:28 am
southflyer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:14 am [quote="Speedbird Julie" post_id=11688 time=<a href="tel:1712832850">1712832850</a> user_id=415]
[/quote]

I've only flown it once LXR-CAI with Egyptair in J but found it a little cramped at 2-3. CDG isn't too far though so it would be survivable!
atuk

Post by atuk »

Speedbird Julie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:38 pm [quote=atuk post_id=11734 time=<a href="tel:1713608928">1713608928</a> user_id=75]
[quote=southflyer post_id=11732 time=<a href="tel:1713608098">1713608098</a> user_id=201]
[quote="Speedbird Julie" post_id=11688 time=<a href="tel:<a href="tel:1712832850">1712832850</a>">1712832850</a> user_id=415]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've only flown it once LXR-CAI with Egyptair in J but found it a little cramped at 2-3. CDG isn't too far though so it would be survivable!
[/quote]

Good for you, mine was last year ZRH-LIS with LX.

In course of finalising next year’s mega holiday to Far east and OZ. Trains, boats and planes. All OneWorld with BA, QF, CX and MH. Maybe you can give me heads up re seats and onboard service.