Proposed Metro system

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Proposed Metro system

Post by Clive »

'Game-changer' Glasgow Metro system takes step closer to becoming reality
Transport Scotland has today recommended taking forward development of the project - which involves a city-wide network of high-capacity rapid-transit lines, including a link to Glasgow Airport

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... s-19761712

Here’s the gigantic full colour report
https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler ... =45064&p=0
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
PiperOne

Re: Proposed Metro system

Post by PiperOne »

Thanks for posting Clive. Think I'll keep it for weekend reading, but I do wonder if the political will, of all parties, is there to make it happen.

F
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

They really ought to concentrate on basic things like pothole and general road repairs rather than this pie in the sky baloney!
hads

Post by hads »

Love the bit about the New M74
(paraphrase) " Despite multi million £ investment , the new road demonstrates that despite extra capacity, it is gridlocked from 7.30 am"

Focus groups should be put in charge of stationery orders.
atuk

Post by atuk »

I can’t believe the latest data is based on 2016/17 figures.

Surely the world has moved on significantly since then. At the very 'least data would be available from end 2019? On that basis it’s hardly worth the paper it’s written on or the gross expenditure and salaries used to prepare it!
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

As usual I’m far more positive about this. The airport link is only a stop in a grander scheme so as such will work. I never was quite sure about a fixed rail link from the airport that hit the buffers at Central. Couldn’t see a huge benefit for that over the far more useful bus service.

But a new station under the city centre with escalators down to it from both Central and Queen Street fits the bill. Just like Kings Cross /St Pancras.

The metro intends to serve areas which are not on suburban rail lines, like on this line to Renfrew, Braehead and QEUH.

A lot of academic cost/benefit work has gone into it so I wouldn’t write it off so nonchalantly. It’s also been approved to be taken on to the next design phases.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Clive wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:36 pm As usual I’m far more positive about this. The airport link is only a stop in a grander scheme so as such will work. I never was quite sure about a fixed rail link from the airport that hit the buffers at Central. Couldn’t see a huge benefit for that over the far more useful bus service.

But a new station under the city centre with escalators down to it from both Central and Queen Street fits the bill. Just like Kings Cross /St Pancras.

The metro intends to serve areas which are not on suburban rail lines, like on this line to Renfrew, Braehead and QEUH.

A lot of academic cost/benefit work has gone into it so I wouldn’t write it off so nonchalantly. It’s also been approved to be taken on to the next design phases.
Fix the potholes first.

They've been talking about some form of airport rail link for 30+ years and I'll bet they're still talking about it in another 30 years.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

egpffqtv wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:50 pm
Clive wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:36 pm As usual I’m far more positive about this. The airport link is only a stop in a grander scheme so as such will work. I never was quite sure about a fixed rail link from the airport that hit the buffers at Central. Couldn’t see a huge benefit for that over the far more useful bus service.

Fix the potholes first.

They've been talking about some form of airport rail link for 30+ years and I'll bet they're still talking about it in another 30 years.
The airport stop is just one of many in a Glasgow-wide green transport scheme. That’s the big difference. Give the report a read instead of just dismissing it?

egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Clive wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:23 am
egpffqtv wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:50 pm

Fix the potholes first.

The airport stop is just one of many in a Glasgow-wide green transport scheme. That’s the big difference. Give the report a read instead of just dismissing it?

I did and my point still stands.

A council that can’t do the basics like fix potholes has zero chance of fulfilling some of the stuff in the report.

Happy to be proved wrong of course.
hads

Post by hads »

It wont be Council Money or the GCC who build it or anything. Glasgow doesnt have any money. We have remortgaged Buidings to raise capital. Anyway, Hope it happens. Glasgow is a shithole and could do with anything to raise the standard.