New Abbotsinch Road alignment

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

New Abbotsinch Road alignment

Post by Clive »

Today I had to drive along the newly aligned Abbotsinch Road.

The end of an era for generations of enthusiasts.

Remains to be seen what actually becomes of the area of land that will become airside.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Allen McL

Re: New Abbotsinch Road alignment

Post by Allen McL »

Clive wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 pm Today I had to drive along the newly aligned Abbotsinch Road.

The end of an era for generations of enthusiasts.

Remains to be seen what actually becomes of the area of land that will become airside.
I suspect it'll lie there undeveloped for some time, given the reluctance of anyone to pass comment on the proposed MRO park we saw in the City Deal promo film, (I doubt the head of ground ops would be leaving his role if a shiny new facility was in the offing either). Spotters can no doubt continue to get there on foot until it's formally fenced off. That said, on the new road up at the Inchinnan Bridge end it looks like it's higher up than the previous road and night be a decent vantage point for photography in itself ? I must take a better look.
viscount

Post by viscount »

Your thread brought back memories

I remember walking that road in the early morning back in the 70s when I first started in working for Scotia, happy days :)
atuk

Post by atuk »

viscount wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:22 pm Your thread brought back memories

I remember walking that road in the early morning back in the 70s when I first started in working for Scotia, happy days :)
I used to cycle down there to watch the aircraft taxiing in and out. I remember Scotia they handled Britannia, amongst others, before Servisair. Now apart from Jet2its a duopoly of Menzies Swissport with the former being largest at GLA and the latter at EDI.
viscount

Post by viscount »

Yes scotia was taken over by Servisair then someone took over Servisair not sure who.
In my day Scotia handle about 90% of all airlines at GLA.

It is interesting if you look a satellite image of the alignment, they seem to be some work going on in the fields next to the road.
That area could make a good cargo zone away from the passenger area. This would allow the terminal to expand to the east.
Paris

Post by Paris »

viscount wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:37 pm Yes scotia was taken over by Servisair then someone took over Servisair not sure who.

It is interesting if you look a satellite image of the alignment, they seem to be some work going on in the fields next to the road.
That area could make a good cargo zone away from the passenger area. This would allow the terminal to expand to the east.
Terminal contraction, not expansion … Why would anyone spend the millions required to expand an underused terminal with no real prospect of growth, now or in future years …!!!
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

viscount wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:37 pm Yes scotia was taken over by Servisair then someone took over Servisair not sure who.

Yes they're building the Scottish manufacturing innovation institute. Nothing to do with GLA or aviation either.