Emirates

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

southflyer

Re: Emirates

Post by southflyer »

Currently on sale;

A388 26MAR - 31JUL
B77W 01AUG - 14OCT
A388 15OCT onwards
sunflyer

Post by sunflyer »

southflyer wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:20 pm Currently on sale;

A388 26MAR - 31JUL
B77W 01AUG - 14OCT
A388 15OCT onwards
Now showing all summer as A380 on the app
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Excellent. Good to see that it's year round.
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Bearsden wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:18 pm
Clive wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:10 pm
southflyer wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:33 am

Spoke too soon. Looks like 26th March sees the first flight, much sooner than expected.
Haha, I was hoping that would be the case. 😝

A bit of good news at last.
My definition of 'good news' is second flight to GLA and nothing to EDI!!
Indeed plus at least 1 transatlantic service to the USA.
kenneth1

Post by kenneth1 »

Some good news at last, hopefully more to come and nice to hear from “pushingtin” again,
Paris

Post by Paris »

PiperOne wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:42 pm Good to see the return of the Big Beast, useful capacity increase across all classes which will hopefully cater for the demand for a bit. Should also give EK a bit of competitive edge.
Increased offer on any route is good news, but I won’t be swinging from the lights with a bit of capacity increase from an established carrier. Moving to a bigger aircraft won’t give EK the edge over QR or TK at EDI… Increased frequency would go a long way to making up the difference and a reduction in fares…. QR to Australia have been way less in economy recently (and from reports I’m told, ‘a smashing service’) I would like to have seen the service moving to a twice daily Boeing service, than just put a bigger aircraft on the route…. With ME hub (planned) traffic, EDI still out in front by a country mile.
bill

Post by bill »

Paris wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:40 pm
PiperOne wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:42 pm Good to see the return of the Big Beast, useful capacity increase across all classes which will hopefully cater for the demand for a bit. Should also give EK a bit of competitive edge.
Increased offer on any route is good news, but I won’t be swinging from the lights with a bit of capacity increase from an established carrier. Moving to a bigger aircraft won’t give EK the edge over QR or TK at EDI… Increased frequency would go a long way to making up the difference and a reduction in fares…. QR to Australia have been way less in economy recently (and from reports I’m told, ‘a smashing service’) I would like to have seen the service moving to a twice daily Boeing service, than just put a bigger aircraft on the route…. With ME hub (planned) traffic, EDI still out in front by a country mile.
Got to agree with this 100%. I couldn't give two hoots if we never see the A380 at GLA again but then we wasted north of £2m in lounges,airbridges etc... at GLA to accomodate the thing in the worst possible vanity project ever,so we must be seen to be using it. Double daily B777 for me every time.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

bill wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:54 pm
Paris wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:40 pm
Got to agree with this 100%. I couldn't give two hoots if we never see the A380 at GLA again but then we wasted north of £2m in lounges,airbridges etc... at GLA to accomodate the thing in the worst possible vanity project ever,so we must be seen to be using it. Double daily B777 for me every time.
The only thing I could say that could counter this is what they’ve done with the 777 from GLA. They had slots for both EDI and STN and have decided to use it for STN. Plus the 777 from BHX isn’t being used for EDI either. Shows commitment to GLA and quashes what some people say about them dropping it in favour of EDI.

Plus, EDI themselves have said that they didn’t get emirates to return when they wanted despite best efforts (they were aiming for Spring 23).
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Great news to see EK significantly improving their Glasgow offer. Usual poor show/ up selling from AGS their CCO Matt Hazelwood stated “ reintroducing the A380 is tremendous news for Glasgow and the West of Scotland”. .. what happened to just Scotland or also mentioning also for the East of Scotland!

I live in Edinburgh, but just to experience the A380 , instead of the cramped QR 787, I would fly from GLA if prices similar. I just checked this out 9.4 out to Singapore back 21.4 . Business EK £4,300 and QR £4,200. Economy EK £882 and QR £1250, this EK is much cheaper than they offered 2 weeks ago and maybe pushing to sell all the additional seats with such a limited lead-in time and QR already got good load factors. Good news for GLA though at those rates.

From a long term business perspective, double daily 777 would have been better for the premium business travellers . In addition, I believe the A380 has very limited cargo capacity, especially if full with 512 passengers ( I’ve flown twice LHR-LA with BA on their A380, both times c 120 passengers bags not loaded onto plane! ). So I would have thought the amount of cargo being exported through GLA will diminish. 2 x 777 could enhance this situation, especially for shell fish exports.
rjon

Post by rjon »

Any idea what will happen to the cargo the A380 can't take, trucked south?