WorldRoutes 2021

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

GeorgeNTravels

WorldRoutes 2021

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

WorldRoutes 2021 kicks off in Milan today and GLA are attending virtually, but I’m curious as to what airlines and airports people would like to see them talk too, and what destinations they would like to see.

Me personally I would say the 3 US airlines and JetBlue are the obvious ones. Furthermore Czech Airlines/ Smartwings to help secure flights to Prague next summer.

Any ideas would be nice to discuss, but please don’t just say we won’t get any because of EDI.
Clive
Site Admin

Re: WorldRoutes 2021

Post by Clive »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:37 am WorldRoutes 2021 kicks off in Milan today and GLA are attending virtually, but I’m curious as to what airlines and airports people would like to see them talk too, and what destinations they would like to see.

Me personally I would say the 3 US airlines and JetBlue are the obvious ones. Furthermore Czech Airlines/ Smartwings to help secure flights to Prague next summer.

Any ideas would be nice to discuss, but please don’t just say we won’t get any because of EDI.
I think JetBlue and United are already secured ( or as secured a they can be these days). Probably the same for DL on the JFK run.

Turkish Airlines to me is one of the greatest potentials. A once daily 738 to IST opens up about 300 connections, many of which are not otherwise available with just one stop.

Singapore Airlines is another which has been mentioned in passing. I guess it’s a good idea to consider who does what at MAN for airlines who might potentially add Scotland (serving GLA specifically).

Closer to home, Transavia and Vueling could maybe be capable of spreading their wings our way with selected routes from their bases. If I was in charge of GLA I’d make it free of charge for 2 years based on a growth deal beyond that. Same with Ryanair but with bells on.

As GLA builds back over the next couple of years I still say there is a good market for the right kind of airlines on city routes to MXP, PSA, MAD, GVA (year round) and CPH and now we need again to secure links to MUC and BUD.

Czech Airlines is a good call. At one point in history we had something like 140k ppa on PRG-GLA. A modest 3 weekly would reach most of the target market on this one.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
viscount

Post by viscount »

I don’t see SG coming, due to the fact we have EK already.
With regards to TK yes this would be good for both GLA and TK, but it may affect EK, business
The big potential could be China. The other route I would love to see is SA to South Africa. Even if it was only once per week.
bill

Post by bill »

Do TK still operate out of EDI on the IST route? I really have no idea but would imagine if they did then GLA wouldn't happen. I think they'd choose one or the other. It's a great shout right enough as Scotland has a large Turkish population and as mentioned, IST has some great connections to offer.
Does anyone know how EDI-IST was/is performing?
bill

Post by bill »

Clive wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:55 am
As GLA builds back over the next couple of years I still say there is a good market for the right kind of airlines on city routes to MXP, PSA, MAD, GVA (year round) and CPH and now we need again to secure links to MUC and BUD.

Cue FR for above mentioned routes. It is vital in my opinion we entice them back to a GLA base. I know one airline does not an airport make but they would seriously help with recovery and growth. Get them dealt in pronto.
viscount

Post by viscount »

bill wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:56 am Do TK still operate out of EDI on the IST route? I really have no idea but would imagine if they did then GLA wouldn't happen. I think they'd choose one or the other. It's a great shout right enough as Scotland has a large Turkish population and as mentioned, IST has some great connections to offer.
Yes they are doing well and they continued to operate during covid allbe with a reduced service some days they have been using the A321. Or a odd A330
During a normal summer they have 2 flights a day. Now I believe they also have a flight to one of the south cost holiday resorts
They are will fixed into EDI

It would be a big one for GLA if we they could be attracted to open up now they have their new supper hub just north of IST
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Clive wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:55 am
GeorgeNTravels wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:37 am WorldRoutes 2021 kicks off in Milan today and GLA are attending virtually, but I’m curious as to what airlines and airports people would like to see them talk too, and what destinations they would like to see.

I think JetBlue and United are already secured ( or as secured a they can be these days). Probably the same for DL on the JFK run.

Turkish Airlines to me is one of the greatest potentials. A once daily 738 to IST opens up about 300 connections, many of which are not otherwise available with just one stop.

Singapore Airlines is another which has been mentioned in passing. I guess it’s a good idea to consider who does what at MAN for airlines who might potentially add Scotland (serving GLA specifically).

Closer to home, Transavia and Vueling could maybe be capable of spreading their wings our way with selected routes from their bases. If I was in charge of GLA I’d make it free of charge for 2 years based on a growth deal beyond that. Same with Ryanair but with bells on.

Czech Airlines is a good call. At one point in history we had something like 140k ppa on PRG-GLA. A modest 3 weekly would reach most of the target market on this one.
Definitely agree with those, I think MXP could be served by the new company replacing Alitalia, and due to Jet2 cuts they could offer summer flights to Rome as well. MAD could be an opportunity for Vueling to expand into and GVA could be served by EZY. For CPH I personally do not know what airline is best to offer that, however, for Scandinavia in general Wideroe operate into Aberdeen so ASG could offer a deal to fly to GLA as well. Long Haul Singapore airlines would be great to see, but I also think (a bit outlandish I admit) but Air India or another carrier to India for the student market could be well placed.
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

bill wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:56 am Do TK still operate out of EDI on the IST route? I really have no idea but would imagine if they did then GLA wouldn't happen. I think they'd choose one or the other. It's a great shout right enough as Scotland has a large Turkish population and as mentioned, IST has some great connections to offer.
Turkish presently 3 x weekly, Th(pm), Sa/Mo(am), the Saturday service was restored at the end of September. TK would be a good fit, as we know it nearly happened when they decided to come to Scotland in the first place, so must be a potential GLA target. Alternatively, Pegasus could be a viable alternative to pursue.

I would certainly be looking to target a 2nd hub for each of the Global Alliances to improve connectivity.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Looking at airline schedules we had better hope they find a replacement for Bucharest as well, Blue Air don't seem to have flights on sale yet from Glasgow, but they are on sale from LPL, BHX, LHR.
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:51 pm Looking at airline schedules we had better hope they find a replacement for Bucharest as well, Blue Air don't seem to have flights on sale yet from Glasgow, but they are on sale from LPL, BHX, LHR.
There are rumours that they are in difficulties. There is a possibility that some of their soon to be delivered MAXes are being redirected to Flyr.