Could United be returning??

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Could United be returning??

Post by Clive »

The GLA relevant bit

“ Asked about potential growth through other Scottish airports, she said: "For the moment what we are doing is expanding gradually, so we are building on our success. We are the only year-round service. We added the second daily to New York Newark last summer and for Washington we are expanding the season, and that is very much the way we are building the schedule, but of course we are flexible and continue to assess any other opportunities that there may be."

United will continue to monitor demand and "be nimble and strategic as we develop our network to meet the travel needs of our customers".”

So in other words they have their heads up their erse. I would wager the Transatlantic flag carrier that was mooted by GLA’s boss is either AA or EI.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:03 am The GLA relevant bit

“ Asked about potential growth through other Scottish airports, she said: "For the moment what we are doing is expanding gradually, so we are building on our success. We are the only year-round service. We added the second daily to New York Newark last summer and for Washington we are expanding the season, and that is very much the way we are building the schedule, but of course we are flexible and continue to assess any other opportunities that there may be."

United will continue to monitor demand and "be nimble and strategic as we develop our network to meet the travel needs of our customers".”

So in other words they have their heads up their erse. I would wager the Transatlantic flag carrier that was mooted by GLA’s boss is either AA or EI.
I agree with your final sentence . . . there is absolutely no profit driver to operate transatlantic to two airports in Central Scotland so once established it would have to be 'the deal to end all deals' that prises them out
atuk

Post by atuk »

I read this article today. It mentions the twenty year anniversary of United serving, presumably EDI, as UA operated from GLA briefly in the early 1990s. Mrs C and I flew with them fromGLA-IAD in November 1993; our very first trip to the USA.

I honestly don’t see UA pitching up at GLA: their business model is clearly LHR and EDI. GLA and MAN don’t get a look in. CO/UA never really set the regions on fire: NCL, MAN, BHX, BRS and STN are all past history.
McG

Post by McG »

FAA have stopped United launching EWR-FAO and NRT-Cebu this summer due to the increased scrutiny United are under from FAA.