Ryanair: Could my prayers be answered?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Ryanair: Could my prayers be answered?

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 pm A few interesting assumptions / calculations above . . . but nothing concrete to bridge the 1.3m

The cynic in me reflects on the need for AGS to renegotiate its bank loans in June this year
Notwithstanding, the airport obviously run numbers for planning purposes and have projected they will handle over 8.5m pax this year so if that quote from Ronald is correct then something major is happening. To me it can only be a Ryanair base with a summer start which can add a million pax in a 6 month period.

Veering off topic but I hear MAG - owners of STN, EMA and MAN, may be interested in purchasing the airport from AGS.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Bearsden wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 pm A few interesting assumptions / calculations above . . . but nothing concrete to bridge the 1.3m

The cynic in me reflects on the need for AGS to renegotiate its bank loans in June this year
Airports can certainly predict to a reasonable accuracy what their pax numbers during the next year will be. If they're allegedly knowingly inflating predicted pax numbers to artificially increase the value of the airport as an asset, is that not somewhat questionable?
Clive wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:12 am Notwithstanding, the airport obviously run numbers for planning purposes and have projected they will handle over 8.5m pax this year so if that quote from Ronald is correct then something major is happening. To me it can only be a Ryanair base with a summer start which can add a million pax in a 6 month period.
What about a Wizz base?
Veering off topic but I hear MAG - owners of STN, EMA and MAN, may be interested in purchasing the airport from AGS.
Iirc there were rumours they were interested when a GLA was last sold/spun out to AGS. Personally I would see this as a positive I think.

A certain other Scottish airport also appears to be coming onto the market, so I wonder if that might attract their attention - Or perhaps they might see GLA as more attractive cause it has more untapped potential and will probably be cheaper!
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

[/quote]
[/quote]

That would support my view that AGS 'has run its course' for Ferrovial / Macquarie
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:48 am

Airports can certainly predict to a reasonable accuracy what their pax numbers during the next year will be. If they're allegedly knowingly inflating predicted pax numbers to artificially increase the value of the airport as an asset, is that not somewhat questionable?
Clive wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:12 am Notwithstanding, the airport obviously run numbers for planning purposes and have projected they will handle over 8.5m pax this year so if that quote from Ronald is correct then something major is happening. To me it can only be a Ryanair base with a summer start which can add a million pax in a 6 month period.
What about a Wizz base?
Iirc there were rumours they were interested when a GLA was last sold/spun out to AGS. Personally I would see this as a positive I think.

A certain other Scottish airport also appears to be coming onto the market, so I wonder if that might attract their attention - Or perhaps they might see GLA as more attractive cause it has more untapped potential and will probably be cheaper!
Aena are said to be interested in that off topic airport. We’ll leave it at that and not discuss the whys and wherefores of that.

A Wizz base at GLA would of course be massively welcome and a godsend in terms of connectivity, clawing back some market share and growth but I just think in terms of getting people to fly who otherwise would not be going anywhere, Ryanair can get the numbers even in routes no one would think viable. I read years ago that they don’t even bother with route analysis before launching whatever floats their boat.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
G-WATP

Post by G-WATP »

S24 flights for the existing destinations (except WMI) are now showing on the app albeit not bookable yet and showing as 'sold out' (except DUB, which has been bookable for months). All look to be done by away based aircraft.
Last edited by G-WATP on Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

G-WATP wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:13 pm S24 flights for the existing destinations (except WMI) are now showing on the app albeit not bookable yet and showing as 'sold out'. All look to be done by away based aircraft.
That could be a good sign. At least what you have pointed out shows some movement as there was nothing for S24 except DUB showing yesterday. I see they are all low frequency like twice a week. If a GLA base is about to get loaded onto the system there’s bound to be more flights to AGP and ALC for example, along with a range of new destinations. Here’s hoping.

AD1

Post by AD1 »

Hi, friend of mine is Ryanair crew who says they’ve been told they may be able to transfer from EDI based crew to Glasgow based crew depending on factors. Last time they advertised this was for Prestwick but they’ve been told it could be a mix of GLA and PIK “to support future possible flying activity in the region”.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

AD1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:56 pm Hi, friend of mine is Ryanair crew who says they’ve been told they may be able to transfer from EDI based crew to Glasgow based crew depending on factors. Last time they advertised this was for Prestwick but they’ve been told it could be a mix of GLA and PIK “to support future possible flying activity in the region”.
Good info and great news. 👍

AD1

Post by AD1 »

Don’t know if this was noticed or just changed. GLA-DUB doesn’t have a 7/8am departure loaded on Mondays and Wednesdays as was a few weeks ago. Instead first is ~9am with flight number around FR276 rather than 57XX region. Could just be bland schedule/number change or could be something else
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

AD1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:03 pm Don’t know if this was noticed or just changed. GLA-DUB doesn’t have a 7/8am departure loaded on Mondays and Wednesdays as was a few weeks ago. Instead first is ~9am with flight number around FR276 rather than 57XX region. Could just be bland schedule/number change or could be something else

The 27x number has been about since middle of last year, whenever I did the schedule update