LM drop GLA-SOU

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Iain

LM drop GLA-SOU

Post by Iain »

As it says in the title, LM have dropped GLA-SOU.

Not really a positive to go from multiple daily flights to one daily summer and only two weekly in the winter.

Unless EZY can be persuaded to introduce a more comprehensive business-friendly schedule than the likelihood here is that thousands of passengers will decamp to EDI in a similar pattern to what we've seen with BHX, which has gone from iirc about 18k a month back in the BE days to about 7k, presumably because of EZYs non-business friendly schedule.
buddyboy

Re: LM drop GLA-SOU

Post by buddyboy »

EZY really are arses at GLA. Constantly rearrange the deckchairs whilst undermining both themselves and others on routes.

Their flights to SOU have clearly had the affect of driving Logan off the route. Genuinely so frustrated.
Iain

Post by Iain »

buddyboy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm EZY really are arses at GLA. Constantly rearrange the deckchairs whilst undermining both themselves and others on routes.

Their flights to SOU have clearly had the affect of driving Logan off the route. Genuinely so frustrated.
And let's remember AGS own both GLA amd SOU, so you would guess that they have worked hard to attract EZY onto the route. Unless EZY have unreleased plans to expand the route (and perhaps they do and that's what's caused LM to quit), then it looks like a poor move.

I was just looking at EZY GLA-BHX and it's 3-4 daily/19 weekly with good biz timings over the summer and then goes back down to mostly 1 daily in W24. This schedule doesn't make sense as I don't believe GLA-BHX is a route with heavy seasonality.
bill

Post by bill »

buddyboy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm EZY really are arses at GLA. Constantly rearrange the deckchairs whilst undermining both themselves and others on routes.

EZY are indeed arses at GLA. Never a truer word spoken. I've lost count of the opportunities I thought they could have expanded on, but there's always a reason/excuse why they don't. Pretty fed-up with them these days. And FR too.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

bill wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:17 pm

EZY are indeed arses at GLA. Never a truer word spoken. I've lost count of the opportunities I thought they could have expanded on, but there's always a reason/excuse why they don't. Pretty fed-up with them these days. And FR too.
I think there's a lot to be said about the people running the show rather than the airlines themselves...
Hialflyer

Post by Hialflyer »

The full EZY winter schedule isnt released yet, They have just released a copy of last winter. New flights usually appear around June.

I use the LM service form SOU regularily. LM shot thereselves in the foot on the route. Their fares were eye watering and the wrong aircraft. It was always nice to fly on the E145 but they should have used their ATR 72 aircraft instead, More seats to sell at cheaper prices and probably cheaper to operate. Aer Lingus, using the ATR, seem to compete fine with EZY on lots of routes, admittedly from different airports in Belfast. Their flights are always a lot cheaper than LM too.

Think there are wider things going on with LM. They have pulled a lot of routes in the last few months. The flights from the east to SOU cant be doing that well either as all my existing future bookings have just been moved by LM to there so i imagine everyone elses have too.
Last edited by Hialflyer on Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

southflyer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:38 pm

I think there's a lot to be said about the people running the show rather than the airlines themselves...
Hear hear. I’ve been saying this for years. Glad others are finally catching up.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

egpffqtv wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 pm

Hear hear. I’ve been saying this for years. Glad others are finally catching up.
Lack of demand too, it seems. We used to have regular flights to the likes of NWI, CWL, MAN, LBA and more. If no one wants to fly to/from Glasgow and these places it doesn’t make sense to provide flights.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 am
egpffqtv wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 pm

Lack of demand too, it seems. We used to have regular flights to the likes of NWI, CWL, MAN, LBA and more. If no one wants to fly to/from Glasgow and these places it doesn’t make sense to provide flights.
Price on many routes rather than convenience or even frequency is the main driver nowadays

If daily, easyJet will roughly provide the same number of seats at generally a lower price

The competition is picking off chunks of the demand, you can book Ryanair to Bournemouth (< an hour from Southampton) from another 'local' airport on most days (but not daily) for less than £15 . . . it will cost almost that to park a car at the airport for an hour! And remember that free bus paases are available in Scotland at both ends of the age profile so you don't need to use a car.

Are prices like that (a) financially sustainable or (b) ecologically sound? (how many tonnes of jet fuel are burned?)
Iain

Post by Iain »

Clive wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 am
We could note that a certain airport at the other end of the M8 doesn't have flights to three of these destinations anymore either, so not an issue specific to just GLA.

It may be true that fights to close by cities like Leeds and Manchester are gone because of better rail links and many companies being less keen on very short flights for sustainability reasons. However, I'm not sure lack of demand to Southampton is the main issue - numbers to SOU are a bit down on the pre-covid BE days (iirc from about 12 to 14k per month to about 9k per month), but it's quite possible the higher faress on LM versus BE are the factor here. Moreover current EDI-SOU numbers appear v similar to GLA, if not a bit less sometimes.

BHX numbers may be a little down on pre-covid, but overall the total traffic from the two central belt airports to BHX is not wildly lower. What's happened this winter is that a vast chunk of the GLA traffic appears to have moved East because of a poor and limited schedule at GLA. Again the question that arises is as to why there's such a large discrepancy in frequency and capacity from easyJet on GLA-BHX in summer versus winter when it's a route that hasn't generally shown itself to be particularly seasonal in the past?