Favourite overseas destinations

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Favourite overseas destinations

Post by atuk »

Yes , I know, we can’t travel right now but it doesn’t you dreaming and longing for the day when once again you can take to the skies, Land in a foreign country and feel the sun kiss your face.

My number one in Europe is Palma, perennial Queen of The Med. From its golden sands, busy runways, cruise terminal, Gothic Cathedral, Arab Baths, old quarter and the windmills of Es Molinar above the Paseo Maritimo take me back - hopefully on TUI 787 from Glasgow.

Outside Europe for me it has to be Hong Kong. Despite the political factions which hopefully will recede and bring back a peaceful but frenzied City on the go 24/7. A Transport lovers delight: buses, trams, ferries, metro and trains with swish terminals, shopping malls for Mrs C and add in a hefty dash of colonial history to boot. Singapore, Kuala Lumpur And Bangkok are all fantastic but HKG holds the keys to my heart.

Germany from Dusseldorf with its Konigsallee, Berlin with Brandenberg Airport replacing SXF and TXl, Frankfurt with its viewing terrace and Romer - Mainhattan on Main, Cologne with its Dom, Hanover with its lakes and palaces to Munich with the Alps close by and easy access to Salzburg or Innsbruck; Nuremberg in Franconia with its medieval turrets, castle and Alstadt, Stuttgart auto city, or classical Heidelberg with its university.

Sun kissed islands of Cyprus, Crete, Sicily, Sardinia, Santorini, Ibiza, GranCanaria and Samos all have their own attractions.

Hopefully we can travel again post 24th June: here’s hoping that many, many more have had their Covid vaccinations by then and there is no third wave.

Meantime I am waiting for 26 APR when we can travel outside our own council area and see friends and relatives once again.
Last edited by atuk on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sharpal7

Re: Favourite overseas destinations

Post by Sharpal7 »

Mrs S and I have been fortunate to be able to visit some overseas places, primarily in Europe but also in USA and Asia.

Favourites for.....
Breathtaking Scenery: Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast
Fun: Vegas and Disney
Relaxing: Crete and Lanzarote
City: Hong Kong
Planespotting: Florida east coast area from West Palm Beach down to Miami
bill

Post by bill »

Anywhere in the future we can get to safely,enjoy some down-time and return without Covid and/or having to quarantine in a bloody hotel or indoors upon our return. :(
atuk

Post by atuk »

bill wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 pm Anywhere in the future we can get to safely,enjoy some down-time and return without Covid and/or having to quarantine in a bloody hotel or indoors upon our return. :(
Even better now we can see friends and family from this weekend. Mind you booked for London in September keeping positive for that.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

bill wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 pm Anywhere in the future we can get to safely,enjoy some down-time and return without Covid and/or having to quarantine in a bloody hotel or indoors upon our return. :(
Simon Calder was talking in those lines about the likes of a Spain in July. I’ll be on it like a car bonnet just as quick as I could write a sonnet.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Winter destination - calgary , Vancouver

Summer - Phoenix , halifax , Bangkok

Itching to get away , got phoenix , washington in november so fingers crossed
atuk

Post by atuk »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 pm Winter destination - calgary , Vancouver

Well and truly taken the plunge. August Lisbon, September London, February 22 Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur returning to EDI via DOH. BA, CX, MH and QR.
Aerecosse

Post by Aerecosse »

atuk wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:00 am
Ekally1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 pm Winter destination - calgary , Vancouver

Well and truly taken the plunge. August Lisbon, September London, February 22 Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur returning to EDI via DOH. BA, CX, MH and QR.
Good old One World there 😁
Flown: BA, BD, BE, BY, DA, AMM, MT, XL, JN, EI, FR, LH, JK, BV, NW, HP, US, CO, AC, DL, QF, AN, NZ, TN, RAR, MH, CX, FM, SA, EK, EY