Loganair drops Isle of Man to Heathrow.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Allen McL

Loganair drops Isle of Man to Heathrow.

Post by Allen McL »

Lack of Manx government support sees the LHR service dropped from August. Other routes will continue.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of- ... row-route/
Ekally1

Re: Loganair drops Isle of Man to Heathrow.

Post by Ekally1 »

Another one bits the dust for LM .. Can't seem to make these new routes work
hads

Post by hads »

Im certainly no expert on the subject. However, looking at Fr24, there is always a smorsgabord of LM jets flying all over the country. 30 minute flights. less in some cases. How is it possible to make £ out of that? pressure on margins must be insane.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:20 am Im certainly no expert on the subject. However, looking at Fr24, there is always a smorsgabord of LM jets flying all over the country. 30 minute flights. less in some cases. How is it possible to make £ out of that? pressure on margins must be insane.
Especially to LHR where costs and operating inefficiencies for such an aircraft/payload must be through the roof.

Said it many times before - aside from the BA feeder ‘shuttles’ it can’t work unless the pax, only interests in getting to London, are prepared to pay thousands for the dubious pleasure of landing at LHR.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

heathrow aside, I was really referring to Stornaway to Glasgow etc. On small jets?
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

hads wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm heathrow aside, I was really referring to Stornaway to Glasgow etc. On small jets?
Totally wrong aircraft type for them ... hopefully LM get more ATR's which would be a much better economical fit ...
bill

Post by bill »

hads wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm heathrow aside, I was really referring to Stornaway to Glasgow etc. On small jets?
Yes. Seems absolutely mental unless LM are charging £1k one way? :lol:
Don't know if there are rebates or whatever on certain routes though? Saabdriver may (or may not as the case may be) be able to shed some light.
P.S. You managed to retire yet mate?
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Loganair did appear to inherit these jets from the BMI Regional close down. I wonder what the actual effect on the balance sheet is ?

More ATR's is the plan though isn't it ? Somewhat delayed by Covid-19, presumably the Embraers will disappear at some point too ?
Gla1

Post by Gla1 »

I used SOU to GLA on Tuesday night and there were 14 people onboard. I can only imagine the losses being incurred there.
I would assume they would want to move on from these Embraer aircraft pretty quickly and condense to ATR? As much as I would love to see an E175 in a Loganair livery I would imagine that’s too big for them.
I’d imagine it won’t be helping to have EasyJet breathing down their necks in the domestic market,
Saabdriver

Post by Saabdriver »

IOM-LHR was always dependent on IOM Government support based on the costs of operating at LHR. It was started on that basis and is stopping because that support is being discontinued for reasons best known to the IOM Government. The economics of the jet haven't changed.

The jet works just fine on the routes like GLA-SYY and GLA-SOU. It's a lot faster than the ATR and an ATR couldn't do four rotations a day between GLA and SOU where the jet can. The running cost per hour on the Embraer is less than the ATR and you get a lot further in that hour.

Looks like Tuesday evening's SOU-GLA had 21 booked with 16 travelled. Same flight last night came north with 40 of 49 seats filled so.