Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:37 am They used to serve both airports and as demand is high I don’t see why not.
The problem is that both United and Delta have built sizeable operations at EDI at least in the summer months (UAL B757 2 x EWR, 1 x IAD & 1 x ORD and DAL B767 1 x JFK, 1 x BOS & 1 x ATL) supported no doubt by 'exclusive' deals and now by traffic volumes which give them substantial buying power in handling, crew accommodation, transport etc plus some flexibility if an aircraft goes unserviceable

The only change on the horizon is the aircraft choice after the B757 & B767
hads

Post by hads »

It seems to some that talking about Edinburgh is the same as me talking about Celtic. I despise them but they exist. They won the league last year. They need to be removed from top spot.
In any walk of life you need to know and understand who the enemy or biggest threat to your KPI s are.
Edinburgh is no longer a threat to GLA. That horse has bolted and is lying on a Beach drinking Tequila.
We should discuss Edinburgh because its actions will continue to have an adverse affect on Glasgow.
PIK is the vennue where every one of you should be throwing custard pies at.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:14 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:37 am They used to serve both airports and as demand is high I don’t see why not.
The problem is that both United and Delta have built sizeable operations at EDI at least in the summer months (UAL B757 2 x EWR, 1 x IAD & 1 x ORD and DAL B767 1 x JFK, 1 x BOS & 1 x ATL) supported no doubt by 'exclusive' deals and now by traffic volumes which give them substantial buying power in handling, crew accommodation, transport etc plus some flexibility if an aircraft goes unserviceable
Being well aware of all that I still said I don’t see why not.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Darren10

Post by Darren10 »

Clive wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:12 pm
Is there a reason UAs flights are all operated on 752s yet DL can support widebody 767s on all of their flights? I'm aware that distance becomes an issue for ATL but I am genuinely unsure of any further reasons. It could be that UAs flights don't often require bigger equipment. I always assumed that Chicago and Washington were served with 767s. Just goes to show how little I know!
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

Darren10 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:53 pm

Is there a reason UAs flights are all operated on 752s yet DL can support widebody 767s on all of their flights? I'm aware that distance becomes an issue for ATL but I am genuinely unsure of any further reasons. It could be that UAs flights don't often require bigger equipment. I always assumed that Chicago and Washington were served with 767s. Just goes to show how little I know!
Its the smallest a/c DL has for Transatlantic. The 757s are now dedicated to US transcons.
Darren10

Post by Darren10 »

jetblue497 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:32 pm
Darren10 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:53 pm

Its the smallest a/c DL has for Transatlantic. The 757s are now dedicated to US transcons.
Ah that makes lots of sense, thanks for the speedy reply! DL must be filling them regardless.
VS71

Post by VS71 »

Darren10 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:21 pm Just read a post on another rather popular airline forum claiming that there was some serious congestion issues at EDI today. 5 737s waiting on the taxiway for a stand at one point. One of Uniteds flights was also severely impacted waiting a reported 40 mins for a stand. As much as I applaud the meteoric rise of EDIs offerings, it also seems that the busy summer season has overtaken EDIs infrastructure and is now causing major issues.

I do wonder if the US Legacies in particular will be asking questions.
This would tie up with our experience.

Landing from Orlando on the 15th, there was a Westjet 787 on the taxiway with another aircraft in front. We had a 15 minute wait for a stand.

The inbound aircraft to operate our flight July 1st had 30 minute wait for a stand. Other aircraft did too from keeping an eye on adsb, but I didn't pay attention to any wait they had.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Because the airlines' accountants will say no - only two things will change the outcome (a) EDI's next 'exclusive' deals aren't so generous and/or (b) GLA 'buy' the business hoping to make returns out of ancillary income streams
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:56 pm

Because the airlines' accountants will say no - only two things will change the outcome (a) EDI's next 'exclusive' deals aren't so generous and/or (b) GLA 'buy' the business hoping to make returns out of ancillary income streams
Hoping to? This is what all airports do, and no doubt GLA bosses will have deals ready to strike.

The airlines’ accountants will say no? So you’re saying there is no business case for a GLA-NYC hub service. That’s quite sad to be honest.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

You guys have short memories. There is definitely a case for GLA - NY, at least daily ALL summer, although the loads are poor Jan- April money can be made with appropriate schedule. In 2019 at GLA you had US and DL daily 757’s. From EDI, 2 UA 757, DL 757, AA 757 ( may have changed from JFK to Philadelphia in 2019 ) plus year before 5th daily EDI NY was Norwegian 737max.

2024 has The Open at Troon, so massive potential demand for premium passengers at GLA, not just then but all summer if GLA appropriately sold to golfers too. Most west coast traditional golf courses such as Old Prestwick, Turnberry, Dundonald, ALREADY got record bookings from American+ Canadian tour companies in 2024.

Obvious airline for GLA is Aer Lingus A321 but BA probably want to protect Dublin, look at their departures c21 direct American flights every day. Plus I’m sure BA will push AA to reinstate Philadelphia at EDI in 2024 to “ put the cat amongst the pigeons” direct flights disrupting their LHR services.

I was working last Saturday but had Plane Finder on from c 8am to 16.00 in the background, showing the live on ground chaos at EDI. It was great watching and is a God send for GLA. You can all watch it by resetting the date etc on Plane Finder and run it on a quick replay speed. The sales team at GLA should be doing this, plus monitoring the EDI Spotters page on Facebook, where you actually have EDI air traffic controllers complaining about the situation they are having to deal with…too many slots sold and not enough gates/ handling capacity etc.