Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Iain

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Iain »

Bearsden wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:55 pm
It was interesting to see EDI's comments about the Wizzair move - frankly not bothered
Perhaps, but they weren't exactly going to publicly say they were really upset about it!
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

pushingtinonceagain wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:29 pm Edinburgh are just cramming in airlines to inflate their sale price.
It was interesting to see EDI's comments about the Wizzair move - frankly not bothered, (our key based airline) Ryanair already serve both cities (so their yields will improve making the value proposition of expanding at EDI more attractive) (my comments in brackets)
They had a similar view when TUI pulled metal and routes out as well. Vueling have yet to put their EDI flights on sale and it looks like its the only UK route not loaded for next summer, although I may have missed one.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

It's incredibly concerning to see that this gloating culture on this forum still exists in such dire circumstances. GLA has managed to (re)poach a carrier with two routes to Eastern Europe meanwhile EDI has landed yet another US carrier. I'm not sure why EDI management would be losing any sleep over it :?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ekally1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:36 pm We just need to accept this is how is going to be from now on
Indeed.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

DPNC96 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:08 am
Clive wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:19 am
Ekally1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:36 pm We just need to accept this is how is going to be from now on
Indeed.
It has been the norm for years now. AGS are useless.
Not sure there is much they can do if the airlines prefer EDI over GLA
viscount

Post by viscount »

Iain wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:20 pm
It was interesting to see EDI's comments about the Wizzair move - frankly not bothered
Perhaps, but they weren't exactly going to publicly say they were really upset about it!
I don’t think they are really bothered, they are more interested in long haul, they see themselves as the LHR of Scotland.
They have all the European flights they need.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Hainian dirch edi again apparently
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:52 pm Hainian dirch edi again apparently

S24 not loaded yet. Manchester in same position.
atuk

Post by atuk »

viscount wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:08 am [quote=Iain post_id=10706 time=<a href="tel:1698265214">1698265214</a> user_id=379]
[quote=Bearsden post_id=10705 time=<a href="tel:1698263711">1698263711</a> user_id=72]

[/quote]

I don’t think they are really bothered, they are more interested in long haul, they see themselves as the LHR of Scotland.
[/quote]

They may see themselves as that but in reality it’s becoming a mini version of LHR. You may well laugh but although there is much talk of US Pre Clearance what is really required right now is a proper seemless Flight Connection for International to International with a fast becoming critical mass of Alliance carriers feeding to from each other.

Much more worrying for folks is the capital city syndrome borne out by JetBkue whose services are all from capitals - London,Paris and Amsterdam.

Nobody is allowed to forget that Edinburgh is Scotland’s capital and Glasgow its largest city. Given the massive housing developments within the Edinburgh city boundary the population gap is closing fast and it won’t be too long - say five years before Edinburgh claims the title of both capital and largest city.I’m sure that also plays in their marketing approach too.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:13 am
viscount wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:08 am [quote=Iain post_id=10706 time=<a href="tel:1698265214">1698265214</a> user_id=379]
[quote=Bearsden post_id=10705 time=<a href="tel:1698263711">1698263711</a> user_id=72]

[/quote]

They may see themselves as that but in reality it’s becoming a mini version of LHR. You may well laugh but although there is much talk of US Pre Clearance what is really required right now is a proper seemless Flight Connection for International to International with a fast becoming critical mass of Alliance carriers feeding to from each other.

Much more worrying for folks is the capital city syndrome borne out by JetBkue whose services are all from capitals - London,Paris and Amsterdam.

Nobody is allowed to forget that Edinburgh is Scotland’s capital and Glasgow its largest city. Given the massive housing developments within the Edinburgh city boundary the population gap is closing fast and it won’t be too long - say five years before Edinburgh claims the title of both capital and largest city.I’m sure that also plays in their marketing approach too.
[/quote]

City boundaries don’t come into it. Greater Glasgow is far bigger than Greater Edinburgh. The inner city areas are more of interest to city councils who provide services, etc, not to the airline ticket-buying residents or inbound visitors.

But the way JetBlue did EDI and DUB in tandem - I think that is right. EDI really is going to be the equivalent of DUB on the world stage and it will develop a route network very similar because many of the market attributes and selling points are the same for both cities and both airports.

If we detach ourselves from the tribal aspect then we have to ask ourselves why not? GLA bosses have to work in this real-world reality even if aviation enthusiasts don’t and EDI reached a pivotal point many years ago which I trace back to the day they secured a Ryanair base. Seriously - the sky was the limit from that day on.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.