Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Re: Edinburgh

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:32 pm [quote=atuk post_id=10746 time=<a href="tel:1698425105">1698425105</a> user_id=75]
[quote=Iain post_id=10744 time=<a href="tel:1698424280">1698424280</a> user_id=379]
[quote=Clive post_id=10740 time=<a href="tel:<a href="tel:1698404480">1698404480</a>">1698404480</a> user_id=2]
Without a rail link to Glasgow and the national rail network and without even a bus to the popular city of Edinburgh the bosses at GLA are on a hiding to nothing.
Last time I checked, EDI doesn't have a link to the national rail network either (and neither does DUB afaik).

Wrt to the paucity of bus services from GLA (including to Edinburgh), this is something that those in charge at GLA could I think influence and improve. Yet despite repeated prompting over a number of years they've failed massively.

I think it's unlikely EDI will ever catch up with DUB and have the same level of services and pax. DUB is up around 30m pax currently. How is EDI going to more than double it's pax numbers?.....and if that's easily achievable in Central Scotland then GLA should be also able to easily add millions of pax too.

It also seems unlikely that Edinburgh City population will overtake Glasgow within 5 years......and as Clive already mentioned the city boundaries come with many caveats for many reasons that have been discussed previously.
[/quote]

2023 stats City of Edinburgh 552K City of Glasgow 612K.

Given the large housing projects (there are currently three underway) at Ratho Station, WestCraigs and Edinburgh West close to the airport and Gogarburn it’s not inconceivable that its when not if Edinburgh will outstrip City of Glasgow : probably within the next five years.

I understand and appreciate the comments regards The Greater Glasgow area but many of that population travel from EDI every day.believe I hear them, serve some and get feedback “ I usually fly from GLA but it’s too expensive/ can’t get flights/ more convenient….

When EDI as a city outstrips GLA, as it surely will do so unless City Council pull up their socks and up their game, it will simply add value to EDI marketing of Scotland’s largest city and largest airport.
[/quote]

Oh dear now it’s “my city’s bigger than yours”. Glasgow’s city boundaries are political lines on a map which don’t affect air travel.
[/quote]

No it’s not. It’s all about leakage from east of Glasgow to Edi. Aren’t all boundaries political?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Going forward, if this thread is to remain open at all - and that’s 100% at the discretion of Admin, we will not have debate about EDI, EDI v GLA, city v city, etc, nor the minutia of schedule changes, busses, customer service, how hard colleagues work, etc, etc.

We can discuss relevant route developments to keep abreast of the situation just exactly as we would such news at other airports such as ABZ, DND, INV, NCL, etc. From now on in this forum that is the level of coverage EDI will have.

It doesn’t hold special status in this forum and will be treated the same as any other non-GLA airport.

For those seeking in depth news and views about that airport there is an online forum here https://forums4airports.com/forums/485/

None of the above is up for debate.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

SAS removing OSL-EDI, Norwegian still operate 9x weekly at peak.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Read somewhere sas having a purge at unprofitable routes .. kinda overkill anyway with DY
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

On the subject of JetBlue, they have been refused AMS slots for S24, will be interesting to see how this affects their plans for next summer. Would be nice to see GLA and EDI operate in tandem akin to AC Rouge a few years ago. Some market shake up might just entice United/Delta to resume ops to GLA. Wishful thinking, perhaps.
Planeenthusiast

Edinburgh - Westjet

Post by Planeenthusiast »

Could Westjet be about to do a u-turn and resume long-haul flying from the east coast? ACL slots indicate they appear to considering resuming the Toronto route and perhaps introducing Halifax also to/from Edinburgh. One to watch.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Who cares
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Davieboy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:13 am
Ekally1 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:03 pmWho cares
Surely everyone who cares about GLA should care? An operator whose first foray into the Scottish market was to GLA, operated successfully for years, ups sticks to EDI and then - potentially as we all know slot applications ≠ route will start - could be adding to EDI routes they had at GLA (including their successful initial route). It would be worrying if folks here don't care about that.
Let us know if it happens. Until then we are not interested in speculating about gossip on other airports.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Surely everyone who cares about GLA should care? An operator whose first foray into the Scottish market was to GLA, operated successfully for years, ups sticks to EDI and then - potentially as we all know slot applications ≠ route will start - could be adding to EDI routes they had at GLA (including their successful initial route). It would be worrying if folks here don't care about that.
If an airline that flew from GLA well for years then decides to turn its back on us and move east I am not interested in them anymore .. unless they land on runway 5/23 at GLA I simply don't care .. I care about the ones who are at GLA and the ones who want to come .. Simple as that sorry to say
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Ekally1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:49 pm
If an airline that flew from GLA well for years then decides to turn its back on us and move east I am not interested in them anymore .. unless they land on runway 5/23 at GLA I simply don't care .. I care about the ones who are at GLA and the ones who want to come .. Simple as that sorry to say
Then why read a thread specifically for EDI?