Moderators: bill, Clive

big ears

Edinburgh

Post by big ears »

New York JFK – Edinburgh eff 02JUL20 Service resumption, 1 daily 757-200
McG

Re: Edinburgh

Post by McG »

These are the last set of full year accounts on the Edinburgh Airport Website.

https://edinburghairport.s3-eu-west-1.a ... ements.pdf

They have since spent a further £70m on capital projects. The full year 2019 accounts are not available on their website.

Anyone able to figure out how highly leveraged EDI is?

There was talk on the Lufthansa thread about making sure that routes aren't lost from GLA to EDI as a result of EDI adopting an aggressive strategy to retain routes. I have a suspicion that their debt levels and amounts owed due to the amount of expansion they have carried out since GIP took them over that they may not be able to offer any incentives to retain routes as they will need to raise as much cash as possible to service their debts.

Here's the latest set of AGS accounts for comparison purposes.

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/docu ... b20e1b07f9
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

AA are bringing their 787s to EDI from next Summer
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Oceanic wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:13 pm AA are bringing their 787s to EDI from next Summer
Qatar restart EDI 3 x weekly from June 1st, 4 x weekly from July and 5 x weekly from August. 787 operating instead of A350
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Oceanic wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:13 pm AA are bringing their 787s to EDI from next Summer
Presumably because the 757's and 767's are being retired ? I imagine the A321NeoLR might appear on these types of routes eventually too ?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

BACF to close EDI base

Release date: 12/05/2020

The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) has announced that it was formally notified of proposed redundancies at BA CityFlyer this afternoon. The airline operates British Airways branded flights out of London City and Edinburgh Airports.

72 potential pilot redundancies were notified out of 248, mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing ending operations. In addition, the company warned that its whole future remained uncertain as British Airways, its parent company, was still reviewing its own future.

Brian Strutton, BALPA General Secretary, said: “CityFlyer had been a successful part of BA so this is yet more shocking and devastating news. While the Chancellor fanfares his Job Retention Scheme the aviation industry continues to haemorrhage jobs.

“The Government is making this crisis worse for aviation by imposing restrictions on flying and forcing airlines into a death spiral.

“BALPA will fight for every job in CityFlyer at London City and Edinburgh Airports which rely on this important and efficient airline.”
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Clive wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 pm BACF to close EDI base

Release date: 12/05/2020

The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) has announced that it was formally notified of proposed redundancies at BA CityFlyer this afternoon. The airline operates British Airways branded flights out of London City and Edinburgh Airports.

72 potential pilot redundancies were notified out of 248, mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing ending operations. In addition, the company warned that its whole future remained uncertain as British Airways, its parent company, was still reviewing its own future.

Brian Strutton, BALPA General Secretary, said: “CityFlyer had been a successful part of BA so this is yet more shocking and devastating news. While the Chancellor fanfares his Job Retention Scheme the aviation industry continues to haemorrhage jobs.

“The Government is making this crisis worse for aviation by imposing restrictions on flying and forcing airlines into a death spiral.

“BALPA will fight for every job in CityFlyer at London City and Edinburgh Airports which rely on this important and efficient airline.”
I'm probably not the only one who's surprised to hear they are closing the EDI operation. Especially given the relatively 'niche' nature of their business. Was the LCY-JFK service also BACF or mainline ? I gather that's to go too. Sad times for all in aviation right now.
McG

Post by McG »

The LCY-JFK flights are mainline BA and were crewed by a small group of Airbus Shorthaul pilots based out of LHR and I think by LGW Cabin Crew.

As for Cityflyer, Willie Walsh said to the Transport Select Committee the other day that LCY will probably be the last airport to start to resume ops due to the profile of the passengers there.

BA are also interested in removing the scope clause in the mainline pilots contracts that currently prevents Cityflyer operations at LHR or LGW.
G-WATP

Post by G-WATP »

Allen McL wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 am I'm probably not the only one who's surprised to hear they are closing the EDI operation. Especially given the relatively 'niche' nature of their business. Was the LCY-JFK service also BACF or mainline ? I gather that's to go too. Sad times for all in aviation right now.
You (and others) would be right to be surprised if they were indeed "closing the EDI operation". Although the post from poster 'Clive' includes the text "..mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing ending operations.." the actual press release on the BALPA website (https://www.balpa.org/Media-Centre/Pres ... -Chancello) says "mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing closing its crew base" (my emphasis).

So presumably BACF flights EDI<>LCY will continue, albeit perhaps at a lower frequency.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

G-WATP wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 pm
Allen McL wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 am I'm probably not the only one who's surprised to hear they are closing the EDI operation. Especially given the relatively 'niche' nature of their business. Was the LCY-JFK service also BACF or mainline ? I gather that's to go too. Sad times for all in aviation right now.
You (and others) would be right to be surprised if they were indeed "closing the EDI operation". Although the post from poster 'Clive' includes the text "..mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing ending operations.." the actual press release on the BALPA website (https://www.balpa.org/Media-Centre/Pres ... -Chancello) says "mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing closing its crew base" (my emphasis).

So presumably BACF flights EDI<>LCY will continue, albeit perhaps at a lower frequency.
The proposal is to close the EDI base, not end flights. Presumably EDI (and GLA) flights will continue from LCY.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.