Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Re: Edinburgh

Post by atuk »

Ekally1 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:19 pm Think it's WS to YYC
I know WS have signed a major code share deal with KLM.

I wonder if this is on the back of reduced KL AMS slots as EDI-AMS-YYC was a popular routing when I worked on AFKL.
atuk

Gordon Dewar interview

Post by atuk »

At Routes LAS an interesting listen on Routes News. He stated that EDI international traffic now surpassed that of pre Covid with additional routes and up scaling: 757 to767; 767 4*w to 787 6*w.

He stated that domestic traffic was down ; I wonder if that is why FR have returned on STN using EDI based as well as non based aircraft. He also mentioned that traffic would capitalise on existing networks and migrate to airports with a broad range of services.

I understand that next year TK goes double daily 332 and 737/321; QR have used 35K and77W as well as normal 788 and 359 flights and may also increase frequency; with scope for more services from existing carriers.

Our TUI 737 ski routes involve 3*737 on a Saturday afternoon all within twenty minutes of each other. Looks like no extra ski routes from GLA then!

Mod edit: moved to EDI thread.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Flew out of EDI at 11.00 , crazy busy for mid November all bar one security desk in operation and still queue’s. Although, Eurowings flight to Düsseldorf that I was on only 60% full.

Think I have the answer to the icelandair speculation. On the ground was a NIceair Northern Iceland A319, their only one according to Wikipedia which worth reading up, as expansion plans of this airline likely to include EDI ( although not specifically mentioned). flying to northern Iceland.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Ken1 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:13 pm Flew out of EDI at 11.00 , crazy busy for mid November all bar one security desk in operation and still queue’s. Although, Eurowings flight to Düsseldorf that I was on only 60% full.

Think I have the answer to the icelandair speculation. On the ground was a NIceair Northern Iceland A319, their only one according to Wikipedia which worth reading up, as expansion plans of this airline likely to include EDI ( although not specifically mentioned). flying to northern Iceland.
That may have been a pre Christmas shopping charter. Titan Airways used to operate these pre Covid. Yesterday’s FAE inbound was ram jam and my best friend tells me that Atlantic Airways are back in Aberdeen again - not that’s there are many shops left to shop in as he says.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Ken1 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:13 pm Flew out of EDI at 11.00 , crazy busy for mid November all bar one security desk in operation and still queue’s. Although, Eurowings flight to Düsseldorf that I was on only 60% full.

Security is a total mess at EDI and the fast track queue is no better. Once airside it's akin to a local shopping centre at Christmas.

As atuk mentioned, the Niceair flights are limited-time charters, nothing to do with Icelandair. Icelandair will be looking to capitalise on connections to North America, as well as O&D traffic to Iceland, as they do from GLA.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

EDI are applying for US pre-clearance facilities.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Clive wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:40 pm EDI are applying for US pre-clearance facilities.
Where exactly does Dewar plan on putting this?
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:35 pm
Clive wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:40 pm EDI are applying for US pre-clearance facilities.
I would imagine they have identified a location for the facility, probably by adding an extra floor somewhere around gates 16-20 which will have its own dedicated access to the airbridges on these gates. Careful scheduling will be needed though to make sure the gates can handle the planned services, but would certainly be a selling point. I expect EDI is looking at replicating Dublin's network in time, although at a lower level.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

PiperOne wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:12 pm
GeorgeNTravels wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:35 pm
I would imagine they have identified a location for the facility, probably by adding an extra floor somewhere around gates 16-20 which will have its own dedicated access to the airbridges on these gates. Careful scheduling will be needed though to make sure the gates can handle the planned services, but would certainly be a selling point. I expect EDI is looking at replicating Dublin's network in time, although at a lower level.
That would probably work, my initial thought was beyond gate 17 where the narrow extension corridor opens out into the seating area but didn't think that would work.
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

Other possibility could be on the north-east corner, where the extension was built, which would allow access to wide-body stands 9A/10A/14/15/16, again it would probably need to be an extra floor on top. Fair amount of comment on the "dried fruit network" questioning the viability of it, given the very peaky nature of US traffic and substantial cost of having to pay for a year-round US Customs and Border Patrol facility.