CAA Q3 Report

Moderators: bill, Clive

GeorgeNTravels

CAA Q3 Report

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

The CAA Aviation Trends Report is out now and has some interesting figures in it.

Section 2 highlights terminal pax compared to Q3 of 2019, GLA is down by 0.6 million, this was the only Scottish Airport mentioned

Section 6 highlights Flight Punctuality, flights are considered on time if they depart within 15 minutes of their scheduled departure time, 25 airports are listed, 3 of which are in Scotland
  • Aberdeen tops the Scottish Airport with 68% of flights on time in Q3, putting it in 8th place, well above the quarter average of 56%
    Glasgow is right behind it at 9th place with 66% of flights on time
    Edinburgh is in 24th place with 51% of flights on time, with LGW closing the list with a measly 39%
On-Time Performance was up on last year in July and September, but dipped in August, although not confirmed NATS ATC disruption will have played a major role in this.

Section 7 lists the Quarterly Terminal Passengers, again 25 airports are featured, with 5 Scottish Airports featured.
  • Edinburgh is 6th on the list with 4,397,000
    Glasgow is 9th on the list with 2,200,957
    Aberdeen is 16th on the list with 632,789
    Inverness is 21st on the list with 242,260
    Prestwick is 24th on the list with 188,835
The top 25 international destinations are also featured, listed from 1st to 25th below.

DUB, PMI, AMS, AGP, ALC, FAO, DXB, BCN, TFS, AYT, DLM, JFK, IBZ, CDG, DOH, FRA, LIS, MAD, ACE, CFU, NCE, CPH, IST, RHO, GVA.

ABZ has services to 9 of these
EDI has services to 24 of these - DXB missing
GLA has services to 18 of these - JFK, DOH, MAD, NCE, CPH, IST, GVA* (*Not served in Q3)
INV has services to 3 of these
PIK has services to 8 of these

EDI has the most connections, but GLA is the only Scottish Airport with services to the top 10.

Link to the report: https://www.caa.co.uk/media/akqfqyxo/av ... 023-q3.pdf
bill

Re: CAA Q3 Report

Post by bill »

Interesting post George, thanks for posting.
It's madness to think as we approach 2024 GLA has no flights to JFK,MAD and CPH. It really boggles the mind. FR would certainly take care of the MAD/CPH in my opinion.Not sure who'd do JFK now with all the alliance airlines gathering to the east of us.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

bill wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:19 pm Interesting post George, thanks for posting.
It's madness to think as we approach 2024 GLA has no flights to JFK,MAD and CPH. It really boggles the mind. FR would certainly take care of the MAD/CPH in my opinion.Not sure who'd do JFK now with all the alliance airlines gathering to the east of us.
More or less what I was going to say. It certainly cements the notion that those are the primary routes GLA needs to secure - we knew that already. Come on Ryanair, it’s an easy win. For JFK we should be looking at Aer Lingus and once Virgin return on the Orlando route, Delta might follow on JFK. Never say never. Things have consolidated at airports before only to give way to change in time. No reason to thing todays is the endgame in the evolution of Scottish air services.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Clive wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 pm
bill wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:19 pm Interesting post George, thanks for posting.
More or less what I was going to say. It certainly cements the notion that those are the primary routes GLA needs to secure - we knew that already. Come on Ryanair, it’s an easy win. For JFK we should be looking at Aer Lingus and once Virgin return on the Orlando route, Delta might follow on JFK. Never say never. Things have consolidated at airports before only to give way to change in time. No reason to thing todays is the endgame in the evolution of Scottish air services.
I would chuck Nice into the discussion as a possible Jet2 route fuelled by Jet2 Holidays bookings given it is already served from BHX, LBA, STN & MAN with them.
bill

Post by bill »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:45 pm

I would chuck Nice into the discussion as a possible Jet2 route fuelled by Jet2 Holidays bookings given it is already served from BHX, LBA, STN & MAN with them.
NCE has been tried several times from GLA iirc,and it's always chopped again sooner or later. Can't remember if EZY have ever tried it tbh. I think they could make it work as The Cote d'Azur is a very good holiday destination,perfect for 3 day plus breaks.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Davieboy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:52 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 pm For JFK we should be looking at Aer Lingus and once Virgin return on the Orlando route, Delta might follow on JFK.
When are Virgin returning?
Sooner than you’d wish.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Davieboy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:52 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 pm For JFK we should be looking at Aer Lingus and once Virgin return on the Orlando route, Delta might follow on JFK.
Rumoured to be this summer but nothing more at this point.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Davieboy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:48 am [quote=southflyer post_id=11087 time=<a href="tel:1702291073">1702291073</a> user_id=201]
[quote=Davieboy post_id=11077 time=<a href="tel:1702223575">1702223575</a> user_id=401]
[quote=Clive post_id=11058 time=<a href="tel:1701891650">1701891650</a> user_id=2]
For JFK we should be looking at Aer Lingus and once Virgin return on the Orlando route, Delta might follow on JFK.
[/quote]

Rumoured to be this summer but nothing more at this point.
[/quote]

Doesn't seem to be happening for this coming summer:

https://corporate.virginatlantic.com/gb ... -2024.html
[/quote]

I’m not in the least surprised. I never thought that would happen given the JV operation is centred in EDI.

Clive partially echos my sentiments: I’ve always said that GLA should pursue Aer Lingus UK as a trans Atlantic operator.

The biggest kick in the teeth to GLA was United. Huge celebrations to mark the fifteenth anniversary of CO service to EWR - followed by the launch of ORD ….. from EDI!😡
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Davieboy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:26 am
atuk wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:54 am I’m not in the least surprised. I never thought that would happen given the JV operation is centred in EDI.
The first quoted statement is unequivocal that Virgin's return is simply a matter of when. Presumably S25 is the now the earliest that their return can be expected.
Maybe they’ll serve both lowland airports. What will be will be and there’s nothing any of us can do about it. As we’ve learned over the decades in this industry the only certainty is change.