RIAT 2024

Moderators: bill, Clive

big ears

RIAT 2024

Post by big ears »

Hi guys, looking for some advice - other than dont go.....lol.
I am 78 yr old geezer with an aneurysm behind my right knee with blood clots. Medication keeps it at bay, but i can only walk about 500m before i need a rest. Looking for advice about parking, walking distances, park and ride, public transport etc. Its on my bucket list before i croak.....i have portabble chair, trolly etc. I have done Duxford several times and went down to Cosford last year as my granson was based, but he has now moved to Lossie.
big ears

Re: RIAT 2024

Post by big ears »

I should have said my daughter lives in Oxford and looking at the Friday as i have other plans for the saturday....
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Hi Big ears. Sorry I totally forgot to reply to this. I was down last year. I did the park and ride from Cheltenham which was about an hour on the bus. I believe the park and ride from Swindon is far shorter about 20 mins or so.... Normal service double deckers so not much room or great comfort.

There's a lot of walking with RIAT naturally due to the size of the airfield. The static displays are over an area of around a mile and a bit. There is a shuttle bus that runs within the static display to cut down the walking.

I'm fairly sure there will be areas for those who need extra support etc to view the displays. I'd imagine it's doable but would need some planning. Hope that helps.
sanderling

Post by sanderling »

I know someone who hired a mobility scooter at last year’s show and it was a great help as the person is unable to walk very far
The static aircraft line is long and if it is a hot day then it is even more of a challenge to walk along but worthwhile
Also massive crowds of people
If mobility is an issue I would certainly consider a form of motorised assistance
big ears

Post by big ears »

Thanks guys. Yes, I need to do some more research I'm not sure I could handle that but never say never.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

I went a few years ago .. alot of walking involved tbh ..
Tob

Post by Tob »

Why not go with Caledonian travel the bus leaves from Buchanan street on Friday to a hotel somewhere in the midlands then takes you to the airshow first thing Saturday morning.lots of people take fold up chairs with them would be handy if you have walking difficulties.hope you get something organised it’s a brilliant airshow.
big ears

Post by big ears »

If attending I need to go on the Friday as I am attending another event near Oxford on the Saturday but thanks for the information.