Emirates

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

G-WATP

Re: Emirates

Post by G-WATP »

There is no way (in my opinion) that EDI is starting on 1/12 daily, when larger or more-established EK markets will be operating then at lower frequencies. For example, BRU, CPH, DUS five-weekly, BHX and GLA four-weekly, BUD three-weekly.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-18sep20/

In fact, I'd be surprised if actually Emirates restart at EDI (my opinion, no knowledge either way). Especially as the article below mentions reductions in UK staff numbers as they have to "reduce the scale of the operation":

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 45893.html
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

NCL and EDI pushed back to March now
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

GKirk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:47 am NCL and EDI pushed back to March now

Indeed , did say last week edi and ncl are under review to be permanently discontinued ... shame about NCL
sunflyer

Post by sunflyer »

Glasgow now daily B777 for S21
Edinburgh not on sale at all
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

sunflyer wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:04 pm Glasgow now daily B777 for S21
Edi permanently dropped
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:55 pm
Edi permanently dropped
Probably return in a few years tbh
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

GKirk wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:26 am
Ekally1 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:55 pm
Edi permanently dropped
The arabs are very shrewd businessmen, if a route isn't paying, they cut it, never in 20 years of following aviation have I ever known Emirates to reinstate a route, their maybe a handful but they certainly won't bowdown to an upstart, who in his words, chased them for 10 years to get the route, if it takes you that long to get a route from them, clearly it was given to you to get rid of you and shut you up and your gamble failed #next
atuk

Post by atuk »

awwdabaaby wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:53 am [quote=GKirk post_id=1960 time=<a href="tel:1602221198">1602221198</a> user_id=86]
[quote=Ekally1 post_id=1949 time=<a href="tel:1602165307">1602165307</a> user_id=50]
[quote=sunflyer post_id=1947 time=<a href="tel:1602158648">1602158648</a> user_id=153]
Glasgow now daily B777 for S21
Edi permanently dropped
[/quote]

[/quote]

The arabs are very shrewd businessmen, if a route isn't paying, they cut it, never in 20 years of following aviation have I ever known Emirates to reinstate a route, their maybe a handful but they certainly won't bowdown to an upstart, who in his words, chased them for 10 years to get the route, if it takes you that long to get a route from them, clearly it was given to you to get rid of you and shut you up and your gamble failed #next
[/quote]

I honestly don’t think that this it how it works. There were quite a few visits to EDI before the service started, and bear in mind, it was at at time pre Covid when it’s main rival Qatar were operating double daily on certain days.

I was reading an article recently that Emirates are again working in close co-operation with FlyDubai to maintain service to cities dropped from their network. Who know what lies ahead in these very uncertain times.

On a personal note I’m so sorry to see my work colleagues lose their jobs with this closure: yet another nail in the coffin. Furthermore their are former work colleagues and friends who moved to Emirates before the service began. Their jobs also will be axed.

It’s not just a pants time for civil aviation right now, it’s hanging by a thread over a precipice. As I wrote in my recent letter to the press kickstart aviation and you can kickstart so many other sectors of the economy. Oil, travel and tourism, hospitality, ancillary services, logistics and many more.

What we really need are politicians to talk to, listen and learn about the daily challenges, the current landscape and what the future may/could hold. Until this happens it still remains final call.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Politicians speak to the industry (and all major industries) all the time so your closing remarks could be misplaced. Of course they do.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm Politicians speak to the industry (and all major industries) all the time so your closing remarks could be misplaced. Of course they do.
If I could see the proof then I would believe you emphatically. Why else did Derek Provan appear on TV saying that they had asked to meet but received no response?

I’m not saying this to cause trouble or disruption but simply through the care and passion I have for the industry I work in - when I’m allowed to!
Last edited by atuk on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.