Post Covid-19:What does the future look like?

Moderators: bill, Clive

big ears

Re: Post Covid-19:What does the future look like?

Post by big ears »

When you mention Sweden, that can be debunked right away.......

"Coronavirus cases have exploded in Sweden as authorities try to keep hold of twin battles – containing the virus and controlling the narrative.
The breakaway Nordic nation divided experts by refusing to lock down its citizens when the virus swept through the country earlier this year.
But a devastating second wave has forced a dramatic rethink as infections threaten to derail any gains that were achieved by taking a now notoriously relaxed approach to the pandemic.
Regions have been effectively locked down to contain a doubling of COVID-19 cases in just three weeks."

I am equally sure that no Government anywhere has got the answer to Covid. Wait till there is a vacine seems to be the consensus, but for how long will a vacine last? Will it be effective? Will we need one every year? and so on.

All governments are struggling with the conundrum - Fix Covid OR Keep the economy running. Governments who try to do both have been simgularly unsuccessful. Lockdown and screw the economy? Protect the economy and screw the public? Personally I dont know what the answer is, but the present piecemeal approach is not working. Partial lockdowns are not viable as there are too many "get outs". Too many people are just ignoring the rules. Whilst schoolkids may not get as sick as older people, nevertheless they are catching Covid and spreading it. Partial and piecemeal lockdown are just prolonging the agony.

It all very well saying pour money at it, furlough, etc, but at some point in time all the money borrowed is going to have to be paid back. What then? Put 10p on the income tax? Any governemnt that does that will be booted out at the next election, and our children, grand and great grand children will be paying for this pandemic for the rest of the century.
bill

Post by bill »

Wait till we get the third wave of Covid-19 in February 2021.On a scale with Spanish flu apparently. ;) According to some social media bloggers anyway.What do they know?
baystate

Post by baystate »

bill wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:27 pm Wait till we get the third wave of Covid-19 in February 2021.On a scale with Spanish flu apparently. ;) According to some social media bloggers anyway.What do they know?
It depends.

In an admittedly off topic example, if they're getting facts from the same 'sources' alleging for example that 138,000 ballots were discovered dumped in a lake in Michigan, and that dead people were recording as voting in Pennsylvania, then they must of course be 100% correct.

From some of the actual science I've read (supported by people involved in strategic planning for the NHS) there is genuine debate as to whether the first wave of COVID has actually ended. Which is arguably scarier than seeing random forecasts saying a third wave is due in February.

For anything related to COVID-19, I'd enthusiastically encourage anyone to read _reputable_ sources which are easily available online. The Lancet, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, and so on. Distrust anything which doesn't have an attributed source. Have a quick read about the principle of Occam's Razor. And then form your own opinions.

All of which, imho, is good news hygiene at any time, not just in the middle of a pandemic.
bill

Post by bill »

GKirk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:34 pm The age of the off-licence is back :shock:
Got myself a Philips Perfect Draught beer machine.Best £200 ever spent.Dispenses your drink at 3 degrees temperature and with a perfect head.The days of the pubs are well and truly numbered now.
bill

Post by bill »

Ah well,back on furlough for me. We had to stop the click and collect service we offered and to be honest I'm thankful.Was fed up running the gauntlet of people not wearing masks on trains or wearing the fecking things under their chins. Need to get a new keg in that beer machine,it's going to take a pasting methinks. :lol:
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

bill wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm Ah well,back on furlough for me. We had to stop the click and collect service we offered and to be honest I'm thankful.Was fed up running the gauntlet of people not wearing masks on trains or wearing the fecking things under their chins. Need to get a new keg in that beer machine,it's going to take a pasting methinks. :lol:
Quite right Bill. That draught beer machine is your lockdown friend. And this gives you time to look at the bass for that song I sent you 🤪

My best new gadget is a UBL Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker which sounds amazing at high volume. 😎
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
big ears

Post by big ears »

Clive wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:25 pm
bill wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm Ah well,back on furlough for me. We had to stop the click and collect service we offered and to be honest I'm thankful.Was fed up running the gauntlet of people not wearing masks on trains or wearing the fecking things under their chins. Need to get a new keg in that beer machine,it's going to take a pasting methinks. :lol:
Quite right Bill. That draught beer machine is your lockdown friend. And this gives you time to look at the bass for that song I sent you 🤪

My best new gadget is a UBL Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker which sounds amazing at high volume. 😎
Stupid question really, but where do you get the beer to fill your beer machine? Has somebody discovered powdered beer and never told me?
bill

Post by bill »

big ears wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Stupid question really, but where do you get the beer to fill your beer machine? Has somebody discovered powdered beer and never told me?
I order mine online from a company called Beerhawk. Approx £30 for a 6 litre keg and the machine chills it down to a perfect 3 degrees. Pours just like a pint in the pub bigears. Also, you get £5 credited to your account for every empty keg you send back.
bill

Post by bill »

Yep, checked out the track you mentioned and it's no problem mate. As soon as we're able to travel again we'll get it done.
big ears

Post by big ears »

bill wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 pm
big ears wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:12 pm

I order mine online from a company called Beerhawk. Approx £30 for a 6 litre keg and the machine chills it down to a perfect 3 degrees. Pours just like a pint in the pub bigears. Also, you get £5 credited to your account for every empty keg you send back.
How quickly do you have to drink the 6L before it goes off?