Corona virus, is the endgame upon us ?

Moderators: bill, Clive

Allen McL

Corona virus, is the endgame upon us ?

Post by Allen McL »

With seemingly positive news coming today of a 90% effective vaccine being developed by Pfizer which may (or may not) be in a position to roll out to NHS frontline staff and the most vulnerable groups by year end, is the end in sight to all of this, finally ?

Shares in various businesses, not least airlines, have rocketed on the back of today's announcement. Whilst there's no room for complacency of course, are we looking set for a normal or indeed near normal future, going ahead ?

I'm looking at this as a glass half full scenario...
BobbyMhor

Re: Corona virus, is the endgame upon us ?

Post by BobbyMhor »

My thought is more what the future will be like even with an 100% vaccine..
Life now is a constant wash hands, rinse repeat.
The postie delivers a letter, you wash your hands, parcel delivery the same..
Shopping is mask on and gel on hands as you come out.
Stepping out of the way of anyone too close etc

Will we adapt the mask on when shopping at all times?

I'd love to think normality will return as was.
I miss just heading out wherever whenever..
I missing seeing family on the spur of the moment,
heading away for a short break..

Let's hope, eh?
bill

Post by bill »

I hope the endgame is upon us, like we all do.This pandemic has made me think that the constant washing/sanitising of hands is something we should have been doing prior to the outbreak.It's amazing the amount of things you touch in your daily routine that other unknowns have touched before you,money being an obvious example.One lesson I would like to think we will keep going forward is social distancing in stores. It's brilliant. :D
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

bill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:29 pm I hope the endgame is upon us, like we all do.This pandemic has made me think that the constant washing/sanitising of hands is something we should have been doing prior to the outbreak.It's amazing the amount of things you touch in your daily routine that other unknowns have touched before you,money being an obvious example.One lesson I would like to think we will keep going forward is social distancing in stores. It's brilliant. :D
Yes, washing of hands and sanitisation protocols, will undeniably slowly slacken off once we consider ourselves to truly be within the 'end game' but I do wonder what impact these practices will have on the stats for winter colds and flu this year ?

In aviation terms, today's news seems to have boosted the IAG share price somewhat and I wonder if the predicted sluggish return of air travel will in fact be accelarated and passengers come back sooner than expected ? It's all going to depend on how the next 6 months go with these new vaccines I suppose ? I'm quite enjoying seeing an enthusiastic scientist on tv calling this the most significant medical breakthrough in 100 years. It makes me wonder what else could be 'cured' if the global economy depended on it..?
baystate

Post by baystate »

bill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:29 pm I hope the endgame is upon us, like we all do.This pandemic has made me think that the constant washing/sanitising of hands is something we should have been doing prior to the outbreak.It's amazing the amount of things you touch in your daily routine that other unknowns have touched before you,money being an obvious example.One lesson I would like to think we will keep going forward is social distancing in stores. It's brilliant. :D
So Bill, I'm right there with you. I've always held the belief that if someone is close enough that I can punch them squarely in the jaw they're too close...although other people tend to view this as proof I'm not fit for normal human interaction. :lol:
dav3

Post by dav3 »

Allen McL wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:04 pm
Yes, washing of hands and sanitisation protocols, will undeniably slowly slacken off once we consider ourselves to truly be within the 'end game' but I do wonder what impact these practices will have on the stats for winter colds and flu this year ?

In aviation terms, today's news seems to have boosted the IAG share price somewhat and I wonder if the predicted sluggish return of air travel will in fact be accelarated and passengers come back sooner than expected ? It's all going to depend on how the next 6 months go with these new vaccines I suppose ? I'm quite enjoying seeing an enthusiastic scientist on tv calling this the most significant medical breakthrough in 100 years. It makes me wonder what else could be 'cured' if the global economy depended on it..?
been told by a friend in australia that cases of flu were down this year.its down to hand washing.gel, masks etc.hopefully same will apply here
atuk

Post by atuk »

I’ll happily mask up, hand gel and distance till the cows come home. Just let me out and back to work again. And be free to make my own decisions for myself.