Double EA courtesy of LH

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Double EA courtesy of LH

Post by atuk »

Well folks whilst updating my old logs, now I’m officially a retired old fogie lol: , (my words for myself) I came across one of my trips in August 2011.

Using my bmi miles and starting in EDI with LH on 733 EF I flew to FRA and onwards to DUS on 735 JH. Flights were using my “Diamond Class” miles in Lufthansa Business Class. A delayed departure due weather from EDI meant a later arrival in FRA however thunderstorms there meant more circling d a very late arrival with an mis connect for my onward flight to DUS. Nothing to worry about as LH had already booked me on the late DUS departure with a quick 35 minute hop complete with meal, gin and tonic, tea and ice cream all served ( as Mr LeClerc would say “swiftly and with style”).

A overnight in DUS with time next day to see Air Berlin, Condor, Lufthansa, TUIfly, XL Germany and Sun Express Germany , all home town carriers. The next leg was on Air Berlin from DUS-VIE-ZRH on Niki 320 OE-LEU then Belair 320 HB-IOO all operated with AB flight numbers!

A quick transit stop in VIE provided lots of Austrian Airlines aircraft followed by two nights in Zurich with Swissair and ,big surprise, an AF 343 on maintenance. Another surprise was AB A330-300 D-AERQ operating the inside legs of a DUS-PMI-ZRH-PMI-DUS operation. This was a former LTU operation before being subsumed by air berlin.

The return flights were LH again ZRH-FRA operated by 320 AIQF then 733 D-ABEA from FRA to EDI.

So, why double EA then? Well I noticed the registration whilst boarding and smiled remembering my first ever flight on LH from LHR-MUC on 737-130 D-ABEA! It climbed out of LHR like a homesick angel (or a Stuka pilot, if being xenophobic!). The climb out also brought back memories of school holidays when LH074/075 operated a weekday service from GLA-MAN-FRA, I mentioned to the hostile that I had flown on the first EA and she returned later to say she told the captain who said he also flew that aircraft back in the day.

So every trip has a backstory of its own; happy days.