Personal highlights

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Personal highlights

Post by atuk »

So travel remains out of bounds again for the foreseeable future so I can only reminisce about some of my favourite trips from yesteryear. Here goes.

Aug 1974 day trip to LGW on BCal returning via NCL on a Dan Air Comet before another 1-11 flight back to GLA.
Sep77-Oct 78 various Viscount trips and a couple of 748s up and down to LSI.
Jun 1978 my first ever flight abroad: LHR to MUC on board LH 737-100 D-ABEA climbing like a Stuka out of LHR. I flew on the successor D-ABEA to GLA from FRA some years ago and mentioned to the hostie who told the Captain who had flown it too. The return was on 727-200D-ABQI. Condor were flying from MUC-Dakar, Senegal via LPA; how exotic.
Feb 81 honeymoon flights GLA-PMI-GLA on the late, great, Britannia Airways. G-AVRN and G-BAZI 737-200s.
Jan 85: PMI again this time by BY 767-200s. First time I flew on a wide body, now it’s me who has the wide body! :lol:
Sep 87 first time on a 747 PIK -STN on Highland Express.
Oct 88: first ever long haul holiday to the Far East MH 747 via CDG and DXB to KUL and return. Outbound series 200, return series 300. Internal flights were on MH 737, AB3, including a lease machine from AF F-BVGN which looked like a cheap,tatty, plastic version compared to the spacious, sumptuous MH version plus a TG AB3.
Oct 93 First trip to the USA, UA from GLA. Thanks to the Station manager who upgraded us to J Class to IAD on the 762. An elderly 741 to SFO, an elderly 737-200 SFO-SEA-YVR. A 733 YVR-ORD then 722 ORD-MCO, 752 MCO-IAD then 767 home again. And yes this was an inclusive tour holiday by Kuoni.
Nov97: Australia by BA and QF plus a couple of internal flights on long gone Ansett. 747,762, 763,733,732 and ATP! Return flight was SIN-BKK,FRA,BHX,GLA. A long, long trip.

That’s all for now I’ll do a part two later as I don’t want to bore folks. What memorable flights have you made over the years.
Sharpal7

Re: Personal highlights

Post by Sharpal7 »

Highlights for me have to be pottering about in PA28s G-ATOM, G-ATVO and G-AVUS with Mrs S after she obtained her PPL in 1990.

Flights to Mull, Gigha, and Islay were particularly memorable.
ianegpf

Post by ianegpf »

One of my personal highlights was around 7 years ago on a C150 out of Cumbernauld....on board was my dad, me, my son (pilot) and my grandson :D
It was a cracking summers day and we managed to get a photo of the 4 generations of the 'Broons' in front of the Cessna :mrgreen:

IB
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

ianegpf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:17 pm One of my personal highlights was around 7 years ago on a C150 out of Cumbernauld....on board was my dad, me, my son (pilot) and my grandson :D
It was a cracking summers day and we managed to get a photo of the 4 generations of the 'Broons' in front of the Cessna :mrgreen:

IB
I would suggest a Ce172 - there are only two seats in a Ce150
ianegpf

Post by ianegpf »

Bearsden wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:28 pm
ianegpf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:17 pm One of my personal highlights was around 7 years ago on a C150 out of Cumbernauld....on board was my dad, me, my son (pilot) and my grandson :D

IB
I would suggest a Ce172 - there are only two seats in a Ce150
Cheers, the 150 would have been the one my son took me up on for a wee flyabout and a shot at some flying :D

Went Cumbernauld/Stepps/Glasgow City Centre/Kingston Bridge/GLA/Erskine Bridge/Alexandria/Balloch (low level orbit round the house)/Cameron House/Luss/Stirling/Falkirk Wheel/Cumbernauld where I flew the circle to land approach (with a lot of help :lol: )

Absolutely brilliant it was :D :D :D

IB