First ever flight

Moderators: bill, Clive

dav3

Re: First ever flight

Post by dav3 »

cant remember mine as i was all of 2 years old but reliably informed by family that it was a BEA DC-3 from glasgow to campbeltown.must have been 1956.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

GLA/ALC with BY, October School week 1978. Can still remember it felt like a wall of heat stepping out on arrival.
Aerecosse

Post by Aerecosse »

Northwest Orient Airlines 747 PIK - JFK 13 October 1985. Brought up in Drumchapel and literally watched planes flying over three high rise flats at the end of my street day In day out...don't know if I had actually saw a jumbo flying over before I actually got go go on one...great trip!
Flown: BA, BD, BE, BY, DA, AMM, MT, XL, JN, EI, FR, LH, JK, BV, NW, HP, US, CO, AC, DL, QF, AN, NZ, TN, RAR, MH, CX, FM, SA, EK, EY
ianegpf

Post by ianegpf »

First flight was in 1968 PIK-IOM as a 10 year old on a Dan Air HS748 returning again a week later on a Dan Air Viscount and picked up by an uncle as the rest of the family were travelling by car...a 2 door black "moggie" as I recall...reg UGD 90 :lol:

Aerecosse - whereabouts did you stay...I was in Keal Drive on the North bank of the canal between the 2 lock gates....before they built these flats and blocked my view of the threshold of 24 as it was then :( :D

IB
bill

Post by bill »

1973 on BEA Trident 1 to LHR,on my way to Italy.Loved the acceleration and take off and then the descent into LHR but found everything else in between boring.Almost 50 years later I still feel the same. :lol:
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

bill wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:01 pm 1973 on BEA Trident 1 to LHR,on my way to Italy.Loved the acceleration and take off and then the descent into LHR but found everything else in between boring.Almost 50 years later I still feel the same. :lol:
Airline flying is very much a means to an end, getting somewhere quickly. Some airlines make that a relatively pleasant experience, others are not quite at that stage. Unfortunately the stampede to low costs has driven a lot of the differentiators out the industry, making the difference between BA and Easyjet, for example, minimal.

What really gave me the bug was flying with the RAF at Summer ATC camp, and at Turnhouse, the half-hour Chipmunk trips two or three times a year with hands on control really sold me on flying as an activity, which for me was over 40 years of fun. Such memorable things as flying over Germany at 500 feet in a Wessex with the door open, or map reading at 5000' from the navigator bay underneath a Varsity, and circuit bashing at Brize Norton in a VC10, were absolutely addictive.

So, I can cope with a winged bus as a means of transport, but real flying can really be a blast.
atuk

Post by atuk »

I absolutely love a window seat and a view on a clear day. Some of my happiest in flight memories are of seeing the topography and following it on the moving map.

PS it’s even better whilst drinking a g and t while doing it!
Paris

Post by Paris »

BIA Herald-Dart GLA -IOM maybeeez around 1973/74 (ish)
jcanuck

Post by jcanuck »

Renfrew to Turnhouse, BEA Pionair (DC-3), summer 1958. Long time ago...
J
ianegpf

Post by ianegpf »

"BIA Herald-Dart GLA -IOM maybeeez around 1973/74 (ish)"

First flight for the brand new Mr and Mrs B was also a BIA Dart Herald GLA - IOM August 1981. Came back the 'long and slooow' way by sea to Southampton and train back to Glasgow Central where we were picked up and taken home to Cumbernauld where we had bought our first house...that was a journey you don't want to repeat very often :roll: :lol:

IB