Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus and its effects on GLA

Post by Clive »

Well said Big Ears. It’s not often I agree with you on non aviation matters but all of that is spot on. ✅
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

egpffqtv wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:33 pm GLA & EDI working collaboratively

https://www.glasgowairport.com/media-ce ... -strategy/
How embarrassing for them releasing this on the day that everything re the virus gets considerably worse. Same with football clubs trying to get fans back. Don’t be so bloody ridiculous.

As I said about Dewar last week, they should stick to airports and leave the virology to the experts.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
McG

Post by McG »

Clive,

Unfortunately all aspects of life are intertwined with the virus at the moment. Look at what's happening around relaxation of rules at Christmas as cases head upwards again. Wales have announced a level 4 lockdown at the end of the Christmas relaxation period. The BMJ, HSJ and virologists are calling for the Christmas relaxation to be scrapped. The politicians know if they scrap it people are going to do their own thing.

The airports are looking after the airports. They see a political decision taken in England to allow quarantine to be reduced to 5 days if the person in quarantine pays for a Covid Test and gets a negative test result, while those arriving in Scotland require to quarantine for 10 days to be detrimental to their long term business interests.

As for the football, it is surely safer to sit outdoors, socially distanced from others than it is to sit in a cinema watching the game on the giant screen. This is the exact scenario that occurred at the Celtic v Rangers game where one of the cinemas in Glasgow city centre was screening the match at the same time as fans were not permitted to attend.

The only way the virus could have been fully contained in the UK would have been to do a full NZ / Australia style lockdown and close the borders and enforce strict quarantines. There wasn't the political will to do that on a national level.

Mark
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

McG wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:21 pm Clive,

Unfortunately all aspects of life are intertwined with the virus at the moment. Look at what's happening around relaxation of rules at Christmas as cases head upwards again. Wales have announced a level 4 lockdown at the end of the Christmas relaxation period. The BMJ, HSJ and virologists are calling for the Christmas relaxation to be scrapped. The politicians know if they scrap it people are going to do their own thing.

The airports are looking after the airports. They see a political decision taken in England to allow quarantine to be reduced to 5 days if the person in quarantine pays for a Covid Test and gets a negative test result, while those arriving in Scotland require to quarantine for 10 days to be detrimental to their long term business interests.

As for the football, it is surely safer to sit outdoors, socially distanced from others than it is to sit in a cinema watching the game on the giant screen. This is the exact scenario that occurred at the Celtic v Rangers game where one of the cinemas in Glasgow city centre was screening the match at the same time as fans were not permitted to attend.

The only way the virus could have been fully contained in the UK would have been to do a full NZ / Australia style lockdown and close the borders and enforce strict quarantines. There wasn't the political will to do that on a national level.

Mark
Yes, I advocate the final paragraph.

But I’m not interested in what other countries are doing to control the virus. This isn’t England just as it isn’t France or Germany and we have a government who are trying to keep people as safe as possible. As you will know there is a different balance struck between life/death and commerce between left leaning and right leaning governments.

As people at the airport cite what’s going on in England, if they are advocating that kind of irresponsibility in Scotland they can get tae.

There was Dewar stating that the vaccine roll out was bound to be a disaster. What the hell would he know about that? He’s just making a fool of himself. I wouldn’t want Derek to fall into that trap.

McG

Post by McG »

Now that is an area that Dewar should have kept out of.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Today is potentially the busiest day in months - it is the first time since March that I've seen GLA Arrivals or Departures managing to get onto Page 4 at this time in the morning
atuk

Netherlands

Post by atuk »

Just heard on the news that the Dutch Government has announced a ban on flights to/from the U.K.

No KLM or easyJet then. Further announcements to be made on Tuesday regards international travel from The Scottish Government.

Future isn’t looking good at all. Not sure if 2021 will be the year things get better:looks like there is a lot worse to come beforehand.
Clive
Site Admin

Re: Netherlands

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:22 am Just heard on the news that the Dutch Government has announced a ban on flights to/from the U.K.

No KLM or easyJet then. Further announcements to be made on Tuesday regards international travel from The Scottish Government.

Future isn’t looking good at all. Not sure if 2021 will be the year things get better:looks like there is a lot worse to come beforehand.
The new measures will be short term - if they work.

They’ll only work if people stay in their houses.

I’ve said it since day one.

Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

I’ve merged this into the Coronavirus GLA thread so we don’t get dozens of overlapping discussions about the same thing.