VS moving to EDI?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Ekally1

Re: VS moving to EDI?

Post by Ekally1 »

2 years ago we had all USA and canadian legacy carriers .... we will be luckybto hold onto AC , WS ,TS .... i can weevat least WS moving .. AC rouge being dropped as EDi have the max ... TS may stay
hads

Post by hads »

we have been over this topic 6 trillion times. But now as we look into the post Covid Tunnel of doom, ask yourself..
As I always...
Why have two bases (overheads) when you get better return from one?
Same gene pool
Same customers
Same destinations
Same aluminium tubes

I think it could all get a bit Lionel Messi.
And dont say that they are two different , separate markets. They aint.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

hads wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:11 pm And dont say that they are two different , separate markets. They aint.
100% agree.

Enormous loss for GLA. A lot more I could say, but won't.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Yes, and COVID-19 has made EDI's strategy of total dominance much easier - simply compare the European destinations being served today . . . the deals for based aircraft with Ryanair and easyJet pre COVID-19 are underpinning recovery

It is certainly not 'brown envelopes' but a much stronger commercial proposition
bill

Post by bill »

Allen McL wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:41 pm Yes but why switch to EDI as this is not even an inbound tourism thing ? More brown envelopes being passed around ?
More likely a case of AGS sitting with their collective thumbs up their arses. Horrendous news and just another dagger in the heart of GLA.
danairs

Post by danairs »

I'm RAGING..!! at this rate we'll be lucky to hold onto anything but domestic flights and holiday charters at GLA, although there not even safe now looking at the holiday destinations outta EDI these days..!!
So what's EDI plans re its terminal cause pre covid it's an over cramped S**t hole and I for one will not be going near it, although might not have an option in the not to distant future. GLA being suffocated now by both PIK and EDI. Jeeze.., not good..!!
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

From what i understand from a friend of mine at another large UK airport who is in route development and former PIK financial director . Here is his understanding of the GLA management -

* No drive - mainly as they are rarely at Route development meetings, EDI are the in all there glory with large stands , bagpipes etc etc , kilts etc etc ... GLA are absent .
* Knew EDI where speaking to VS and made no attempt or a pitiful attempt to keep them . Vs where doing well at GLA as they where going year round last year before covid on A332 over winter months and growing summer so cant be performace related .. So i can only guess EDI offered some amazing discount as they have a poor track record of MCO and Florida . But no attempt from team GLA.

* GLA CEO is weak ... My friend worked with him during BAA days and he is not the man to run the airport . NO DIRECTION , no plan and no accountablity

*Airlines do not like dealing with owner and route development as other airports are more flexible , accomodating and more welcoming . GLA has an arrogance they do not like . Many airlines have commented this to my friend .

* many inexpericed people in important positions ..
bill

Post by bill »

danairs wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:35 pm I'm RAGING..!! at this rate we'll be lucky to hold onto anything but domestic flights and holiday charters at GLA, although there not even safe now looking at the holiday destinations outta EDI these days..!!
So what's EDI plans re its terminal cause pre covid it's an over cramped S**t hole and I for one will not be going near it, although might not have an option in the not to distant future. GLA being suffocated now by both PIK and EDI. Jeeze.., not good..!!
Your summary of EDI is exactly how I found it. Cramped,confusing and annoying, however, if things don't change soon we'll have two choices if we want to fly. Join the heards heading towards London airports or jump through to EDI. We need FR to pitch up asap but given Provan's attitude towards lo-co I'm not holding my breath. Closing PIK to passengers would potentially help but then FR would just head east as it stands.
Hialflyer

Post by Hialflyer »

AGS need to sell GLA and fast otherwise there will be nothing left. If GLA had been sold instead of EDI most of the airlines in the east would be operating from GLA.

BAA were hopeless at keeping airlines and AGS are basically them in a new name. Same dont care atitude and no fight. Heads would be rolling in any other company if their track record was so embarrassing.
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

Ekally1 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:57 pm From what i understand from a friend of mine at another large UK airport who is in route development and former PIK financial director . Here is his understanding of the GLA management -

* No drive - mainly as they are rarely at Route development meetings, EDI are the in all there glory with large stands , bagpipes etc etc , kilts etc etc ... GLA are absent .
* Knew EDI where speaking to VS and made no attempt or a pitiful attempt to keep them . Vs where doing well at GLA as they where going year round last year before covid on A332 over winter months and growing summer so cant be performace related .. So i can only guess EDI offered some amazing discount as they have a poor track record of MCO and Florida . But no attempt from team GLA.

* GLA CEO is weak ... My friend worked with him during BAA days and he is not the man to run the airport . NO DIRECTION , no plan and no accountablity

*Airlines do not like dealing with owner and route development as other airports are more flexible , accomodating and more welcoming . GLA has an arrogance they do not like . Many airlines have commented this to my friend .

* many inexpericed people in important positions ..
All of which is a complete reversal of the 2007-2017 era with a dynamic team who went to the route conferences, and were actively building relationships with commercial people at airlines. Ok, it didn't always work, but at least an effort was being made. It looks like all of that team have now gone, or not getting support.

Combine this with a new, more pro-active management in the east, with lots of new stand space and a terminal extension to sell, and an approach to keeping costs down for the airlines, is making life very difficult for GLA. Difficult to see where they go from here, but maybe that analyst job that was being advertised might attract someone with a real drive and passion to grow the business.