GLA’s plummeting success

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

GLA’s plummeting success

Post by Clive »

https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Bearsden

Re: GLA’s plummeting success

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:48 pm Some sort of blog piece analysis

http://georgentravels.com/2021/08/16/gl ... ng-success
An underwhelming piece of analysis!!
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

What was underwhelming about it, constructive feedback would have been nice!!
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:15 pm What was underwhelming about it, constructive feedback would have been nice!!
It states some of the services that have been lost in the last 3 years. It doesn’t given much in the way of context or drill down any of the reasons. Much of what happened also happens at other airports when their biggest airlines go bust or when the likes of Ryanair pack up their belongings.

It doesn’t offer any insight on how to reverse the situation going forward or how different management might have dealt with it differently. It brushes over the Covid crisis which of course knocked everything for six, not just here but everywhere.

The question will be for all airports how do they rebuild what is after all, their business.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Clive wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 amIt brushes over the Covid crisis which of course knocked everything for six, not just here but everywhere.
Except EDI have bounced back whereas GLA has been left to rot...
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

southflyer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 am
Clive wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 amIt brushes over the Covid crisis which of course knocked everything for six, not just here but everywhere.
Cant argue with that ... EDI had a plan , GLA seemed to be rudderless
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 am
Don’t agree. Even Dewar over at EDI will tell you his business has been set back by years. It’s not a local phenomenon. It’s global.

GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Don't agree fully with what Dewar is saying given this year so far:

New service with Air Baltic

Taking Virgin Atlantic from GLA, and getting more routes than we did.

Aer Lingus stepped in Immediately to save EDI flights and left GLA for over a month with no service

BA CityFlyer added new domestic flights from EDI to SOU and GCI

2022:

UA have announced a return

AA have announced a return

DL have announced a return

AC have announced a return

Bigger Jet2 expansion at EDI than at GLA

Ryanair plan to increase based aircraft
hads

Post by hads »

yes of course all countries have been affected. Aviation took a swift boot in the undercarriage. Thats not an arguable point. However, we now march towards normality.
Aircraft and humans will begin to travel again. Im trying to get to Marbs in the next month for example.

However, the cupboard with the big white sticker marked " Reasons Glasgow airport struggles for critical Mass" remains stocked to the ceiling with any number of reasons why it ( the airport) just cannot take progressive strides forward.
The excuses have been discussed on here ad finitum. Indeed, there is an excuse for just about every setback.

As the skies become busier I bet you a big Mac meal that in 12 months , members on here will be gazing Eastwards and rolling out the Groundhog day reasons why Glasgow huffs and puffs whilst Dewar and Edinburgh ragdoll them over the departure lounge floor.

I dont blame the management. Im assuming there are capable people at senior levels. You just cannot make airlines fly from here if they want to fly from there.

Glasgow will be left to hoover up crumbs from the Central Scotland aviation table. Sad, but i would be delighted to see evidence of my naievity.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

I agree with "hads" with the march towards normality covid has shook the market back the nothing, the market has shifted and its up to all airports to adapt and attract customers back.

GLA needs to act on the basis it will never get Ryanair back due to PIK.