Loganair

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Ekally1

Re: Loganair

Post by Ekally1 »

PiperOne wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:20 pm Saab possibly too big for the Carrickfin/Donegal route, perhaps more suited to Twin Otters.
Surely not with the large irish community from west of scotland ... saying that probably cheaper flying U2 from BFS .... LM seem lost in this world
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:32 pm
PiperOne wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:20 pm Saab possibly too big for the Carrickfin/Donegal route, perhaps more suited to Twin Otters.
Surely not with the large irish community from west of scotland ... saying that probably cheaper flying U2 from BFS .... LM seem lost in this world
Think back to when Malinair started the route. They operated up to 10 rotations a DAY with the Islanders, although the schedule was normally 1 per day. It was a case of just keep taking the bookings.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Perhaps Donegal could be taken over by that Swedish outfit on the F50 who are running the PSO to Dublin
Saabdriver

Post by Saabdriver »

Ekally's perpetual negativity back in force!

The overall LM S22 schedule is an increase at GLA - the 340 which flew to CFN is now doing extra SYY services in their place and LSI is going from 7 to 10 per week.

Aer Lingus Regional couldn't make CFN work on an ATR42 (even as Aer Lingus Regional) and given that's where the LM fleet is headed, if the passenger numbers won't grow to support the capacity then there is no long-term prospect. Given the history, which Ekally seems quite happy to ignore in a rush to be critical, you can see why.

There are apparently some more bits yet to come although not sure whether GLA will feature in that.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Saabdriver wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:37 pm Ekally's perpetual negativity back in force!

The overall LM S22 schedule is an increase at GLA - the 340 which flew to CFN is now doing extra SYY services in their place and LSI is going from 7 to 10 per week.

Aer Lingus Regional couldn't make CFN work on an ATR42 (even as Aer Lingus Regional) and given that's where the LM fleet is headed, if the passenger numbers won't grow to support the capacity then there is no long-term prospect. Given the history, which Ekally seems quite happy to ignore in a rush to be critical, you can see why.

There are apparently some more bits yet to come although not sure whether GLA will feature in that.
Not negativity at all ... LM have a recent history of starting and stopping routes even before covid , thats my point , easy to check and its all over its network , and BTW you dont know me , far from a negative person and I am aloud an opinion
Saabdriver

Post by Saabdriver »

Indeed, you don't know me either, and we are both entitled to an opinion. Mine just happens to be that all I ever see is an unrelenting stream of negativity in your postings!

So we have DUS and EMA dropped at the start of the pandemic and not to return. SEN as an experiment simply didn't work out from GLA or ABZ. BHD was going to turn into a fight with Stobart before its demise (as was NQY with easyJet) and so Loganair chose not to go into an expensive fight that it probably wouldn't win on either count. CFN - which didn't work under the Aer Lingus brand - has reached the end of the road as it won't support growth to the same type of aircraft that Aer Lingus Regional flew. If you'd rather that Loganair hadn't tried the likes of DUS and SEN, then fine - sorry that we tried and upset you for years to come in doing so.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

They havent upset me ... they clearly have the wrong aircraft types for the routes they are doing .. evident to everyone
Gla1

Post by Gla1 »

It’s a shame Loganair didn’t give Belfast City another bash when Stobart went under as the BA city flyer replacement is a bit poor in comparison.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Genuine question. Apart from the Scottish domestic services and the contract work, can or do Loganair make money on any routes? (Industry wide Covid downturn notwithstanding)
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Saabdriver

Post by Saabdriver »

I'm surprised Ekally can say they're not being negative and then come out with a sweeping statement like that. Exactly what aircraft type(s) should Loganair have, then? I'd be fascinated to know how and why the airline has got it so wrong and what it should be doing instead.

Clive, the answer to your question is yes. The recent steps to cut NCL/ABZ and take out a couple of destinations for next year are aiming to protect the returns and not allow a number of non-performing routes to eat away at the returns made elsewhere.

GLA/BHD is an interesting one. I suppose it really all depends on whether BACF turn their BHD-UK regions presence into a long-term venture, whether Emerald step in once they're up and running or if neither happen, that leaves a gap.