Alaska Air to Glasgow?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

egpffqtv

Alaska Air to Glasgow?

Post by egpffqtv »

GKirk

Re: Alaska Air to Glasgow?

Post by GKirk »

:o :o :o
Iain

Post by Iain »

It may not be anything to do with the launch of a route - one of the replys says it might be to do with their sustainability strategy and it's being discussed in Glasgow because of cop26.

If they did open a route it would be very left field imo. Apart from anything else all their hubs are on the west coast and the longest range aircraft they have are A321neos and 737 Max 9s which wouldn't appear to have the range even to get to SEA, which is the closest hub by GC distance.

If you look at the major east coast airports and cities which the aircraft do have the range to serve from GLA, the only services they have from these is their west coast hubs so a GLA service to the likes of NYC or BOS wouldn't be able to provide much in the way of connections (although I guess there's maybe AA connections if you're talking about oneworld) and they're also probably not particularly strongly known in these markets, especially for international flights.

With respect to oneworld as well it's surely the case that EI UK has been set up to serve UK regions-USA so you would have thought they would maybe let them take the lead rather than an American airline like Alaska operating it.

Unfortunately I suspect we're doing 2+2=5 here.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Be something to do with COP26, no doubt.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Iain

Post by Iain »

A further tweet from the original source:
Getting more details on the #aviation event in Glasgow next week. Exciting, involving #Boeing and the first minister no less 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍
Would be surprised if Sturgeon would turn out for some sober announcement about an American airline's sustainability strategy tbh, so maybe there is something more to it. Not counting on it though!
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Does Sturgeon know anything about a new transatlantic service to Glasgow...? Wait n'Alaska... :D
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

jetblue497 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:57 pm Its this: https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/boe ... r-program/

nothing more
Is it the flying lab thats comfirmed ?? All i am saying cop 26 is next month not next week as per communicated in tweet ... Anybody else heard of an aviation event neek week ?... surely there would be more info on it
ExAirways

Post by ExAirways »

Maybe something to do with the proposed Boeing Research plant in Renfrew in conjunction with Strathclyde University.
I believe there is a joint statement next week.
McG

Post by McG »

Boeing / Alaskan are bringing the Max 9 Ecodemonstrator over ahead of COP26.