Question

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Paris

Re: Question

Post by Paris »

ianegpf wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:50 pm No problem :)
I'm also assuming they used Prestwick as their alternate as it would possibly/probably be an overweight landing and they have a nice long runway to use and if it was going to be blocked for any reason would limit the impact on other movements...presuming as always ;)

IB
At under 3000m PIK has hardly got a ‘nice long runway’ :roll:
ianegpf

Post by ianegpf »

I stand corrected :o ;)

IB
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

hads wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:41 pm I assume that means "problematic" ?
Squawking 7700 is the Emergency code, and gets you the immediate attention of the controller, who then gets everything out the way to get on the ground as soon as possible. 7600 for Radio Failure is similarly guaranteed to attract the controller's attention, although it doesn't necessitate an immediate landing.
sanderling

Post by sanderling »

Smoke problem traced to a faulty oven
rjon

Post by rjon »

McG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:08 pm Smoke in the cockpit would explain why they went to PIK if it was the nearest airport.

Otherwise PIK would have been a strange choice given there's a NOTAM out saying aircraft stands are available, however limited or no passenger handling or terminal building services.
It's an easy choice if you have smoke in the cabin and could either choose a straight in approach to 12 at PIK or getting vectored half way to Edinburgh for a 23 approach at GLA...

Listened to the atc, everyone sounded dead calm.
Paris

Post by Paris »

sanderling wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:03 pm Smoke problem traced to a faulty oven
Beefy bakes & pies survived the emergency I hope :D :D
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Paris wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:48 am
sanderling wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:03 pm Smoke problem traced to a faulty oven
Beefy bakes & pies survived the emergency I hope :D :D
Yes although I believe they jettisoned the vegan sausage rolls just west of Cumbrae in order to maintain altitude. Police have warned anyone in the area to stay clear of the beaches until chemical hazard teams have sanitised the zone.