Reminising

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

awwdabaaby

Reminising

Post by awwdabaaby »

In light of Bearsden's recent post, i did some reflecting of my own.

A few might be familiar with this post in previous forums but for those who are new, here goes.

Where did my love of aviation come from?

The novelty of flying on an aircraft was something I was later to, I was probably 10-11 before I took my first flight, then maybe 2 years later i started collecting model aircraft, my very first being an Air Europa 737-300, which I still have to this day, in amongst the 500+ models I have. Being on the flightpath for runway 23 just increased my love. I still remember standing out the back door looking for an Air 2000 757 from Reus before heading to high school. In 4th year, i partook in work experience, with British Airways Engineering, working on a 737 for about 2-3 days, before transferring to the ramp. I remember a US Air diverting in from possibly Frankfurt due to a medical emergency.

Every weekend that I wasn't at my mums (divorced parent child) I was down Farm Road with my dad watching the movements. This would be 1998/1999, which saw Loganair arriving on the now disused runway. Back then as you will be aware, there was a plethora of airlines, Flying Colours, Air 2000, Britannia, Caledonian and an A300 of Air Scandic that Caledonian had leased. One Saturday, saw the A300 sit longer on the runway than it should have, causing an Air 2000 757 to bank and go-around. I want to say we had Airworld to but i feel they were more Manchester.

2001, September 11th - we all know where we were when the events unfolded in the US, I was lying on the living room floor, watching the BBC afternoon comedy episode of Birds of a Feather, when the screen faded and the live footage of New York was broadcast.

2002 - June, Dad was nagging me about not finding a job, so I ended up at the airport, and on the spot was offered a spot with Aviance as a baggage handler for the summer season. During this time, i mainly worked on Air 2000 (we had a 757 and A320) based the first half of the week. I was on the inaugural return of the Banjul flight, retrieving the bags for the crew. We also worked on BMI British Midland (including the charter flights to Greece operated for Kosmar), Futura, Air Europa, Iberworld, British European (where I was the wingman), British Airways and Bmibaby. The inaugural East Midlands flight was cancelled. One Saturday, I just had my toes in the door and I was whipped back out to load 2 BMI British Midland to Heathrow, once these were down, back to the billet for 5 minutes to come back out to offload another BMI from Heraklion and load for Heathrow, back round to the billet. This time i didn't get my backside out the lorry as I was told to stay put to go to one of the two Iberworld from Palma. Once finished it was now 09.30, i started at 05.15. My next flight was Air Europa from Las Palmas, 2 hours later, so got to read my book. One Tuesday, we offloaded an Air 2000 from Dalaman, and loaded for Heraklion, went up the stairs at the side of the airbridge to collect the buggies, to be told, the aircraft might not be departing, due to a dent caused by air stairs in Dalaman. 4 hours later, we were still on the flight, eating the meals. Once the aircraft was cleared to fly, we were finished our shift. We also had a midnight Iberworld flight to Ibiza, which saw the passengers staring wondering what we were doiung. I felt like mouthing "I'm putting your effing bags on or you have nothing to wear!" By the end of October, my contract was up, but November saw me using Bmibaby down to East Midlands, my flight down was a Fokker 100, and came back up on Baby ET (737).

Over the years, I have flown on a variety of Airlines, Air Transat, Nouvelair Tunisie, Onur Air, Airtours, Air 2000, Flying Colours, First Choice Airways, Karthago Airlines, Air Europa to list a few.

As Bearsden had mentioned, the amount of Spanish Airlines we used to have in Glasgow operating charters was outstanding, most no longer operating or others changed their business model, such as Air Europa. We also saw Pegasus and Onur Air on turkish flights, apart from Sunways (which collapsed a few days before I was due to travel with them), there were no other Turkish airlines to my knowledge

Here's a test for you, you can either comment or pvt msg me your answer

Where did these two operate to?

KTHY
Sata Air Acores

Anyway I've ranted and reminisced long enough

So that is where my love for aviation and Glasgow Airport came from, onwards to the next step, some of you already know :D
Clive
Site Admin

Re: Reminising

Post by Clive »

KTHY flew to Ercan in Northern Cyprus for 2 or 3 seasons.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

Sata Air Acores flew to Faro in the Algarve. I think it was a charter on behalf of JMC.

Side note, I'm pretty sure we had Turkish airline Freebird flying to Bodrum in the early 00s.
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

FlyGLA wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:19 pm Sata Air Acores flew to Faro in the Algarve. I think it was a charter on behalf of JMC.

Side note, I'm pretty sure we had Turkish airline Freebird flying to Bodrum in the early 00s.
Incorrect in relation to Sata, but I believe you are right about Freebird
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

awwdabaaby wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:08 pm
FlyGLA wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:19 pm Sata Air Acores flew to Faro in the Algarve. I think it was a charter on behalf of JMC.

The Air Azores International (RZO/S4) B733 operation was summer '98 through to 2002, but was it possibly Funchal? Days of operation were Monday & Thursday in 1998. Summer 2003 saw it move over to EuroAtlantic, who used a Brazilian B733, PR-BRE, to operate most of the flights.

Summer 98 saw Air Europa operate 8 flights per week, Airworld did have a weekly Friday non-based trip, We also had multiple flights from Futura, Iberworld and Spanair. Orlando services were operated by Airtours, Leisure International, Caledonian, Monarch, and Britannia. Another feature of S98 was the 5 times weekly Wideroe Dash 8 to Stavanger.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

You might want to double check that as I actually flew on Sata from GLA to FAO. :lol: I might have the old boarding pass up in the loft somewhere but I remember it well. It was a Boeing 737-300 or 400 which looked tiny out on the west pier in a sea of 757s and it was an S4 flight number. This would have been around summer '97 or '98, possibly as late as '01 or '02.
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

FlyGLA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:06 am

You might want to double check that as I actually flew on Sata from GLA to FAO. :lol: I might have the old boarding pass up in the loft somewhere but I remember it well. It was a Boeing 737-300 or 400 which looked tiny out on the west pier in a sea of 757s and it was an S4 flight number. This would have been around summer '97 or '98, possibly as late as '01 or '02.
I stand corrected.
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

Answers were

KTHY were Antalya and Ercan in North Cyprus

Sata was Funchal (that's the one I was thinking of)

Hope you enjoyed reading my reminiscing
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

SATA used to be a split load with NCL on the 737-300 for Atlantic Holidays to Funchal. Believe it operated Monday or Wednesdays spring the winter .

KTHY as a Northern Cyprus/Turkish airline will have been Ercan via Antalya
viscount

Post by viscount »

Came across this on You Tube

https://youtu.be/dMYzVILeUlw