GLA’s plummeting success

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

southflyer

Re: GLA’s plummeting success

Post by southflyer »

Clive wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:46 pmBut alas, half the people in here say it’s all the one market.
If they are different markets then why has Virgin just dropped GLA to start EDI?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:51 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:46 pmBut alas, half the people in here say it’s all the one market.
If they are different markets then why has Virgin just dropped GLA to start EDI?
Apparently Delta want them there and new start rates on offer from EDI will have made it a no brainier. Can’t see BGI lasting though.

Personally I think it’s largely 2 separate markets GLA/EDI west/east with about 30% in the middle who could go either way. Inbound probably more like 80/20 to the Edinburgh city region.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

My point is that if they were different markets, starting EDI should have little to no effect on GLA but in reality it does. GLA previously served Scotland and now they'll do that through EDI.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:55 pm My point is that if they were different markets, starting EDI should have little to no effect on GLA but in reality it does. GLA previously served Scotland and now they'll do that through EDI.
Exactly. This thing about whether a service serves Scotland or is more localised depends on the destination and reach of the airline/tour operator.

Things are always more nuanced than stated in here, and that would very much extend to the blog post this thread is about IMHO. As I said at the start, it only scrapes the surface of the topic it’s exploring.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:42 am
southflyer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:55 pm My point is that if they were different markets, starting EDI should have little to no effect on GLA but in reality it does. GLA previously served Scotland and now they'll do that through EDI.
Exactly. This thing about whether a service serves Scotland or is more localised depends on the destination and reach of the airline/tour operator.
So you agree that they are the same market? Your earlier post implied that people were wrong to think that. Of course there will be localised demand but for the most part the catchments overlap. Granted the case has been made before about EDI being closer to Glasgow than GLA is to Edinburgh but the balance is still shifting increasingly east, to the point that people from Glasgow will travel to EDI for flights to leisure destinations that are already served from GLA.

From an inbound traffic perspective, the coach link from EDI to Buchanan St should be mirrored from GLA, IMO. They've missed a trick there. The tram link is also a huge advantage for EDI, both from a business and leisure traveller's perspective. Frankly without a sizeable operation from Ryanair or easyJet, none of this matters. Both bring hoards of tourists from all over Europe to EDI at highly competitive prices and frequencies. GLA just isn't in the picture.
McG

Post by McG »

Another thing to look at is Google Flights.

Anytime I load this, it automatically selects Edinburgh as the default outbound airport based on location data.

I would suggest that EDI are paying Google to influence this.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

McG wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:54 pm Another thing to look at is Google Flights.

Anytime I load this, it automatically selects Edinburgh as the default outbound airport based on location data.

This was brought up on the old forum. It's likely based on how long it thinks it will take you to get to either airport via the fastest mode of transport. Are you in the east of Glasgow per chance?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:35 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:42 am
So you agree that they are the same market? Your earlier post implied that people were wrong to think that.
Depends on the destination and proliferation of cheap flights. Again it’s more nuanced.
southflyer wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:35 pm
Of course there will be localised demand but for the most part the catchments overlap. Granted the case has been made before about EDI being closer to Glasgow than GLA is to Edinburgh but the balance is still shifting increasingly east, to the point that people from Glasgow will travel to EDI for flights to leisure destinations that are already served from GLA.

From an inbound traffic perspective, the coach link from EDI to Buchanan St should be mirrored from GLA, IMO. They've missed a trick there. The tram link is also a huge advantage for EDI, both from a business and leisure traveller's perspective. Frankly without a sizeable operation from Ryanair or easyJet, none of this matters. Both bring hoards of tourists from all over Europe to EDI at highly competitive prices and frequencies. GLA just isn't in the picture.
Indeed.

McG

Post by McG »

southflyer wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:21 pm
McG wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:54 pm Another thing to look at is Google Flights.

This was brought up on the old forum. It's likely based on how long it thinks it will take you to get to either airport via the fastest mode of transport. Are you in the east of Glasgow per chance?
No, Bearsden. So I am 20mins through the tunnel to the airport. With the changes to Maryhill Road, it can take me that long to reach the M8.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

McG wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:44 pm
southflyer wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:21 pm

No, Bearsden. So I am 20mins through the tunnel to the airport. With the changes to Maryhill Road, it can take me that long to reach the M8.
Or 20 minutes via the Erskine Bridge.