GLA’s plummeting success

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

bill

Re: GLA’s plummeting success

Post by bill »

McG wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:54 pm Another thing to look at is Google Flights.

Anytime I load this, it automatically selects Edinburgh as the default outbound airport based on location data.

I would suggest that EDI are paying Google to influence this.
They may well be and that's acceptable. However, are Glasgow even at the races in instances like these? That has always been my point. By Glasgow I don't just mean the airport. I include Glasgow City Council, North Lan/South Lan councils and Renfrewshire. Do they ever get together to promote the regions to anyone,anytime? Rhetorical question btw.
atuk

Post by atuk »

bill wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:17 pm [quote=McG post_id=4215 time=<a href="tel:1629287673">1629287673</a> user_id=97]
Another thing to look at is Google Flights.

Anytime I load this, it automatically selects Edinburgh as the default outbound airport based on location data.

They may well be and that's acceptable. However, are Glasgow even at the races in instances like these? That has always been my point. By Glasgow I don't just mean the airport. I include Glasgow City Council, North Lan/South Lan councils and Renfrewshire. Do they ever get together to promote the regions to anyone,anytime? Rhetorical question btw.
[/quote]

Bill they certainly USED to. I still have Amanda’s letter thanking me for feedback and suggestions along these lines which Team GLA as thy were started to implement.

Like you I’m gutted by the decline which is due to but not exclusively down to Covid. The big issue here is that many other airports have begun to wake up from the Covid coma and initiate fruitful discussions regards improved frequency, new services and new airlines.

GLA hasn’t even left the starting blocks and will be left lagging with a handful of hub schedules and outbound leisure routes.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:35 pm
bill wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:17 pm [quote=McG post_id=4215 time=<a href="tel:1629287673">1629287673</a> user_id=97]

Bill they certainly USED to. I still have Amanda’s letter thanking me for feedback and suggestions along these lines which Team GLA as thy were started to implement.

Like you I’m gutted by the decline which is due to but not exclusively down to Covid. The big issue here is that many other airports have begun to wake up from the Covid coma and initiate fruitful discussions regards improved frequency, new services and new airlines.

GLA hasn’t even left the starting blocks and will be left lagging with a handful of hub schedules and outbound leisure routes.
[/quote]

Not sure how everyone in here thinks GLA bosses haven't started talking to airlines. That would indeed be a schoolboy error quite unheard of in the industry. It just isn’t true.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:44 pm
atuk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:35 pm

Not sure how everyone in here thinks GLA bosses haven't started talking to airlines. That would indeed be a schoolboy error quite unheard of in the industry. It just isn’t true.
[/quote]

Well our track record of going to route development meetings are poor as it is so chances of chatting to airlines i wouldn't count on it ... and if they are , other airports probably 10 steps ahead ...
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:44 pm [quote=atuk post_id=4228 time=<a href="tel:1629318901">1629318901</a> user_id=75]
[quote=bill post_id=4227 time=<a href="tel:1629317841">1629317841</a> user_id=71]
[quote=McG post_id=4215 time=<a href="tel:<a href="tel:1629287673">1629287673</a>">1629287673</a> user_id=97]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whether they are or aren’t there is little sign or indication of any progress. As said before EDI has not just grabbed a slice of cake it’s grabbed the vast majority leaving the crumbs for GLA/PIK to peck at.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:52 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:44 pm
Whether they are or aren’t there is little sign or indication of any progress. As said before EDI has not just grabbed a slice of cake it’s grabbed the vast majority leaving the crumbs for GLA/PIK to peck at.
Like TUI for example?

Would we rather have the VS Orlando flights or Scotland’s TUI base?

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:13 pm [quote=atuk post_id=4232 time=<a href="tel:1629319922">1629319922</a> user_id=75]
[quote=Clive post_id=4230 time=<a href="tel:1629319493">1629319493</a> user_id=2]

[/quote]

Like TUI for example?

[/quote]

Clive right now I wouldn’t bank on any TUI base in Scotland. They have already reduced GLA to a single unit recently and given their financial state would not rule out moving everything to third party flying on EZY.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

atuk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:13 pm [quote=atuk post_id=4232 time=<a href="tel:1629319922">1629319922</a> user_id=75]
[quote=Clive post_id=4230 time=<a href="tel:1629319493">1629319493</a> user_id=2]

Like TUI for example?

[/quote]

Clive right now I wouldn’t bank on any TUI base in Scotland. They have already reduced GLA to a single unit recently and given their financial state would not rule out moving everything to third party flying on EZY.
[/quote]

Oy 1 unit due to pandamic ... next year theres a large increase
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ekally1 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:49 pm
atuk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:13 pm
Like TUI for example?

Oy 1 unit due to pandamic ... next year theres a large increase
And nobody in here knows the discussions that took place between GLA and TUI to win this particular battle. No one gave it a moment’s thought. Just like the blog post.

atuk

Post by atuk »

Folks when I said one based TUI cast your minds back to 2018. A single 757 based with some 787 long haul rotations.

Yes there is a single 737 based right now due to the impact of Covid and there are departures pencilled in for 2022 based on three/ two 737 plus one 787. Right now TUI finances are parlous. They have just renegotiated a two year delay on loan repayments originally scheduled for April 2022 and have sold their 49% stake in RIU Hotels, a sister company, to raise further cash. Not to reduce debt but to generate cash to keep operating. If you ask me it has all the shades of BCal and Dan-Air back in the eighties and nineties. Any company in this mode isn’t in good shape. The German fleet is 16 aircraft..... down from 39!

Despite the “how good we are, boom, boom” rhetoric you hear from their CEO life is anything but good in TUI land. In house long haul flying from Germany has been shelved; third party flying will be used instead. Therefore, if these GLA flying can be redeployed elsewhere earning better returns then third party flying will provide seats for a reduced operation. TUI have many 737-800 older aircraft; ideal for the booming freighter conversion market leaving more fuel efficient MAX aircraft for a reduced operation with 787s being used on more short/medium haul flying providing back up capacity from LGW, BHX, BRS, MAN and NCL. I can see a radical base overhaul coming up soon.

So Clive exactly which battle has been won? I strongly suspect there were no meetings, deliberations or incentives on the table. TUI had a proposed flying programme in place for S22 anyway which had nothing to do with AGS tabling any offer or incentive.

The acid test will be whether it actually operates as planned or TUI pull their own metal out of Scotland.