Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus and its effects on GLA

Post by Clive »

dav3 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:50 am my wife and i have stuck to the guidelines rigidly up till now but if i'm told it will be 2022 before we can have a holiday in the sun i wont be happy.surely the vaccine rollout is going to kick in soon regarding new cases and deaths.last year from july i think cases fell away and we had a while with no deaths,surely the vaccine will stop a surge in cases if we can all go on holiday late summer or autumn.like someone said there will soon be no airlines to use.jet2 just had to raise over 400m to stay afloat.many others will have done the same.
The vaccine passport is an interesting concept. I can see that allowing holidays in the EU this summer.

I don’t think anyone should be in doubt - while it’s dangerous to travel or receive visitors, it’s a no go. As soon as it’s safe enough to travel without incubating a third wave and another year of lockdown then that’s what will happen.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Clive wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:10 am
atuk wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:14 pm
sunflyer wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:33 pm Just announced with youngest kids going back to school, don’t expect overseas holiday this summer. Staycations might be available but not guaranteed
No need to worry sunflyer. There will be damn all left in aviation by the time this administration has finished its job. I’d dearly love to know exactly where and when our beloved elected representatives do actually spend their holidays! Rockall?
They don’t have any holidays during this public health emergency and if they had a day off it would be spent at home.

By your derisory tone aimed at our government do we assume you think international travel should be available as normal at this time? You’ll be the only person in Scotland if you do.
Clive, part of the joy of being in government is the need to take criticism from all corners. You are clearly a huge supporter of the current administration. Not all are. There is no need to jump on every criticism directed towards the Government.

Unbelievable as it may seem to you not everyone in Scotland finds all their decisions wonderful. Part of a healthy democratic society is healthy debate not the shouting down of dissenting opinions which do often seems to happen on here.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

buddyboy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am
Clive wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:10 am
atuk wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:14 pm

No need to worry sunflyer. There will be damn all left in aviation by the time this administration has finished its job. I’d dearly love to know exactly where and when our beloved elected representatives do actually spend their holidays! Rockall?
They don’t have any holidays during this public health emergency and if they had a day off it would be spent at home.

By your derisory tone aimed at our government do we assume you think international travel should be available as normal at this time? You’ll be the only person in Scotland if you do.
Clive, part of the joy of being in government is the need to take criticism from all corners. You are clearly a huge supporter of the current administration. Not all are. There is no need to jump on every criticism directed towards the Government.

Unbelievable as it may seem to you not everyone in Scotland finds all their decisions wonderful. Part of a healthy democratic society is healthy debate not the shouting down of dissenting opinions which do often seems to happen on here.
Thankfully the numbers are going in the right direction but even so, the UK reported 800 Covid deaths in the last 24 hours. That’s ONE DEATH EVERY TWO MINUTES.

I was actually wondering on a scale of one to ten how thoroughly embarrassed all the vested interests are who complained about stringent lockdown measures. They must be feeling pretty contrite by now.

Whether they are millionaire hotel owners, the clown who runs Weatherspoons, football club directors and radio pundits or even airport bosses. Had any one of these sectors been allowed to carry on regardless everyone would be dead by now and there would never be any business ever again.

Food for thought.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Nobody but nobody is saying carry on regardless. That said business leaders and their staff need clarity, timescales and workable solutions. They should be included along with other experts who make these sometimes unworkable and unachievable decisions.

Businesses do not run on fresh air. They cannot simply magic millions out from thin air; unlike some fiscal authorities. The plain fact is with vaccines kicking in, R rates decreasing and once the majority of folks have been given jags then you can’t keep everyone in lockdown Ad Infinitum.

The best way forward is to prepare this path out of lockdown now, not simply yet another week, month, six months...... it’s vital to the economy, our mental health, our family wealth and to fund all those public services which all our hard pressed tax payers will be tasked to pay for.

The simple truth is that it’s not just the data which counts- the dates are vitally important too.
Last edited by atuk on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
hads

Post by hads »

just wait till the kids get back to school. Within a Month the curve will once agian be upwards. Just sayin..
atuk

Post by atuk »

hads wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am just wait till the kids get back to school. Within a Month the curve will once agian be upwards. Just sayin..
So what do you suggest? I say vaccinate all teachers, police, firemen/women, all those serving and dealing directly with the public. We now have a failed generation; blended learning, no exams and what qualifications will they leave school with?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:39 am Nobody but nobody is saying carry on regardless. That said business leaders and their staff need clarity, timescales and workable solutions. They should be included along with other experts who make these sometimes unworkable and unachievable decisions.

Businesses do not run on fresh air. They cannot simply magic millions out from thin air; unlike some fiscal authorities. The plain fact is with vaccines kicking in, R rates decreasing and once the majority of folks have been given jags then you can’t keep everyone in lockdown Ad Infinitum.

The best way forward is to prepare this path out of lockdown now, not simply yet another week, month, six months...... it’s vital to the economy, our mental health, our family wealth and to fund all those public services which all our hard pressed tax payers will be tasked to pay for.

The simple truth is that it’s not just the data which counts- the dates are vitally important too.
As has been seen, it’s quite unpredictable. I’m sure hoping the more we are vaccinated the less unpredictable it will be until the virus is defeated. We’ll soon be getting some indicative dates which will be back to the tier levels and all will be subject to change depending on the situation but it’s never going to be good enough for any commercial venture vested interest when public health is the overriding priority.

Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:43 am
hads wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am just wait till the kids get back to school. Within a Month the curve will once agian be upwards. Just sayin..
So what do you suggest? I say vaccinate all teachers, police, firemen/women, all those serving and dealing directly with the public. We now have a failed generation; blended learning, no exams and what qualifications will they leave school with?
With respect, “failed generation” could be a bit OTT. The youngsters will still go to Uni or whatever career path they were going to take. As long as their family has survived, the pandemic will have no lasting effect on their futures. Teachers are doing an outstanding job.

atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:03 am [quote=atuk post_id=3177 time=<a href="tel:1613558604">1613558604</a> user_id=75]
[quote=hads post_id=3176 time=<a href="tel:1613558409">1613558409</a> user_id=150]
just wait till the kids get back to school. Within a Month the curve will once agian be upwards. Just sayin..
[/quote]

With respect, “failed generation” could be a bit OTT. The youngsters will still go to Uni or whatever career path they were going to take. As long as their family has survived, the pandemic will have no lasting effect on their futures. Teachers are doing an outstanding job.
[/quote]

I agree teachers are doing a fantastic job: my cousin’s daughter is one of them! What I’m saying is that with no proper exams, added to the stramash of last year’s results fiasco, what exactly do these qualifications represent and how will potential employers view them? I can see the situation where folks leave school to go to college to beef up subjects where breadth and depth are found lacking. Teachers can only do so much and I’m sure they would rather teach a class in class rather than online. It’s not the way to go.

On a brighter note I get my vaccination next Tuesday. Hopefully onwards and upwards as I can’t feel any Don in the depths than I am right now.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Teachers behind retail workers i am afraid ... i deal with 10000 people each week , teachers moan and complain .. we dont but wasnt for us things will be loads worse ...