Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Re: Corona virus and its effects on GLA

Post by atuk »

Ekally1 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:47 pm Teachers behind retail workers i am afraid ... i deal with 10000 people each week , teachers moan and complain .. we dont but wasnt for us things will be loads worse ...
Hope you’re okay during all this. Personally I think all public facing staff should be given priority for immunisation.

Anyway just read the recent vote ofNoConfidence regards SQAand not being fit for purpose.
Rather back up my earlier post regards this. One difficult question- if they’re not doing the day job and can’t produce new criteria then why aren’t they placed on furlough? Or dies that only apply to airline,airport, handling agents, travel and tourism and hospitality? Oh the joys of Teflon protection in the Public Sector and their large pension pots to boot!
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Ekally1 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:47 pm Teachers behind retail workers i am afraid ... i deal with 10000 people each week , teachers moan and complain .. we dont but wasnt for us things will be loads worse ...
My own personal opinion, teachers are the most protected species in the UK today. They want a pay rise, they get it. See there near 10% pay rise just over a year ago. They have the nuclear option of striking and forcing everyone to deal with their own little cherubs. No other public sector job has quite the same leverage. So the shout, stamp their feet and get what they want.

Some teachers have put inbherculean efforts some have done very little. In comparison to some parts of the public sector (emergency services for one) teachers have been at low risk of the virus.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm I agree teachers are doing a fantastic job: my cousin’s daughter is one of them! What I’m saying is that with no proper exams, added to the stramash of last year’s results fiasco, what exactly do these qualifications represent and how will potential employers view them? I can see the situation where folks leave school to go to college to beef up subjects where breadth and depth are found lacking. Teachers can only do so much and I’m sure they would rather teach a class in class rather than online. It’s not the way to go.

On a brighter note I get my vaccination next Tuesday. Hopefully onwards and upwards as I can’t feel any Don in the depths than I am right now.
In-school education for those not already attending begins a phased return on Monday. Not sure what you’re trying to say about the pandemic versus education. No one thinks the disruption has been ideal. But most agree the risk is real.

On the matter of prioritising different employment sectors - it would be great if we had an instantaneous unlimited supply of vaccination but we don’t. All of the people on the different deserving employment sectors, which amounts to everyone if you ask them, will get the vaccine as their age group gets covered.

Good news that yours is imminent.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Couldn’t read the article but yes, the business air market will have changed for good. No longer will employees have to fly down to London, for example, for a 90 minute meeting now that they have been doing their meetings remotely. Should result in quite a lot less domestic air travel once we are back to the new normal.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Boris talking about people in England potentially being able to take foreign holidays from 17 May.

Can only assume that Scotland will allow something similar if the virus control efforts keep going in the right direction.

For me there is also the prospect of live gigs from 21June and of course drinks in bars long before that.

Light at the end of the tunnel 👍

GKirk

Post by GKirk »

weefraz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:57 pm
Clive wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm Boris talking about people in England potentially being able to take foreign holidays from 17 May.

Can only assume that Scotland will allow something similar if the virus control efforts keep going in the right direction.
I hope you're right, but the current rhetoric from the Scottish Gov seems to be suggesting that won't be the case. If "managed isolation" continues in the current form, along with the huge loop holes, then many, many people will simply travel via England and Ireland and I fear all the airlines will simply move their current operations away from GLA (and Scotland as a whole). Hopefully there's some kind of sensible plan.
Aye,unless the SG follow suit with these dates, you'll see a mass movement of flights from GLA, and EDI to NCL and MAN.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

weefraz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:57 pm
Clive wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm Boris talking about people in England potentially being able to take foreign holidays from 17 May.

I hope you're right, but the current rhetoric from the Scottish Gov seems to be suggesting that won't be the case. If "managed isolation" continues in the current form, along with the huge loop holes, then many, many people will simply travel via England and Ireland and I fear all the airlines will simply move their current operations away from GLA (and Scotland as a whole). Hopefully there's some kind of sensible plan.
Don’t know where you get that from. The Scottish Government will set out their plan tomorrow for easing out of Covid restrictions between now and the summer.

GKirk

Post by GKirk »

TBF Clive, NS has consistently said summer holidays abroad are very unlikely from Scotland this year. People will just drive/take the train down to NCL/MAN/LPL
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

weefraz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:56 pm What GKirk says. Nicola Sturgeon literally said: "...for the summer, while it is still highly unlikely that overseas holidays will be possible or advisable, staycations might be."
We’d need the destination to be accepting UK visitors but you are both right that unless we close our border we can’t stop Scots holidaying from English airports and risking bringing back the virus and forcing us back into lockdown which no one wants.

We’ll see what the Scot Govts latest plan is tomorrow for the gradual easing of lockdown over the next few months. And whatever it is it will be heavily caveated in the state of the pandemic. That’s why ScotGov wouldn’t recommend booking too soon.

You guys may have misunderstood if you thought we were never coming out of lockdown. The plan has always been to gradually open everything as soon as it is safe and responsible to do so.