Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus and its effects on GLA

Post by Clive »

buddyboy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:43 am Yesterday the first minister had the chance to offer a wee bit of hope and put her money where her mouth is re being "data driven not dates driven". Why she didn't actually use data such as when we hit
X figure for infections we will look to release y, when the transmission rate drops below X we will do y is beyond me. Instead we basically were promised a return to the tiers for who knows how long. It would allow people to have some idea of where we are going rather than essentially never ending restrictions.

In terms of differences between Scotland and England. We currently have a lower infection rate. The public will find the restrictions impossible if England open at a faster rate. That's just human nature.

Finally the positive news. There have been 2 studies in Israel (most vaccinated country) showing that the vaccines are reducing transmission by around 90%. That's the important bit. If data in the UK backs this then I imagine things will speed up.
Well after admitting it’s beyond you, as it is for all of us if we’re honest, you nailed it in the last sentence. The easing of restrictions will indeed accelerate if the figures allow. And it stands to reason that the virus will be largely defeated as the vaccine reaches the majority of people in Scotland.

Yesterday’s announcement of timescales was cautious rather than unrealistically gung-ho. Remember Boris’s Xmas free for all only to be changed to total lockdown the day after? Remember seeing Xmas shopping the crowds in Oxford Street? A lot of those in the pictures died as a result of those decisions and 3 or 4 months of lockdown resulted.

But personally I’m no more interested in the way out for Scotland. It’s what happens here that is important to us IMO, not what what governments in other countries are doing.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Sorry clive you cant say boris had a free for all , nic had the same , i work in retail now and it was just as mental . Think your being selective to suit your own agenda there
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ekally1 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:45 am Sorry clive you cant say boris had a free for all , nic had the same , i work in retail now and it was just as mental . Think your being selective to suit your own agenda there
The figures speak for themselves. It’s ten time worse in England than it is in Scotland. That’s why we don’t follow the lead of Boris and his crew here in Scotland. Our government has its own expert advisors. Ergo we will be opening up the economy more cautiously as the virus prevalence dictates.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Exasperated

Post by Exasperated »

Clive wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 am
Ekally1 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:45 am Sorry clive you cant say boris had a free for all , nic had the same , i work in retail now and it was just as mental . Think your being selective to suit your own agenda there
The figures speak for themselves. It’s ten time worse in England than it is in Scotland. That’s why we don’t follow the lead of Boris and his crew here in Scotland. Our government has its own expert advisors. Ergo we will be opening up the economy more cautiously as the virus prevalence dictates.

I just can't let this go without comment

How about looking at the numbers properly rather than the party line

Last week reported (to 23 Feb)

Cases per 100k population by date reported

England 95.89
Scotland 90.57

It should be noted that England carried out nearly 3 times as many tests per 100k population as compared with Scotland. This will pick up many more asymptomatic cases so the England number is inflated.

Deaths per 100k population by date reported

England 4.85
Scotland 4.43

England is worse but is within the margin of error so not significant.

Ten time worse claim completely rubbish

Ex
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

For the last seven days, the rate per 100,000 people testing positive is 104.7 in Scotland and 122.7 in England. Both went into lockdown at the same time in early January. Restrictions have been virtually the same since March 2020. Are you telling me that data is a result of better leadership?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:41 pm

For the last seven days, the rate per 100,000 people testing positive is 104.7 in Scotland and 122.7 in England. Both went into lockdown at the same time in early January. Restrictions have been virtually the same since March 2020. Are you telling me that data is a result of better leadership?
Ok I shouldn’t have said ten times worse. I’m only trying to impart that our government doesn’t follow what England does because our government is responsible for public health control here, and vice versa. It’s not as if we bother ourselves with Covid control restrictions in Belgium or Belize.

So far in England 107k or 0.191% of the population have died from having the Covid 19 infection.

The figure for Scotland is 7k or 0.127% .

Still far too many. I think we should have closed borders and had a total lockdown right at the start. If borders had remained closed we’d have domestic normality like they do in New Zealand. They can’t go abroad on holiday but they are still alive and can do everything else that they normally do.

BTW what Exasperated was trying to say is disingenuous. He said more people in England get tested so more cases are found. For most of the last year one only went to get a test if they felt they had symptoms. The fact that fewer people per head of population in Scotland had symptoms so never went for a test cannot be used as SNPBaad fake news.

Finally, it’s funny how party political revelations are exposed among our members when surely we all want the same things - to not lose loved ones and for the country to get out of Covid as unscathed as possible and return to normal all the sooner.

hads

Post by hads »

Any of you bothered to look at deaths from Flu in the last 12 months?
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Clive wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Ok I shouldn’t have said ten times worse. I’m only trying to impart that our government doesn’t follow what England does because our government is responsible for public health control here, and vice versa. It’s not as if we bother ourselves with Covid control restrictions in Belgium or Belize.

So far in England 107k or 0.191% of the population have died from having the Covid 19 infection.

Still far too many. I think we should have closed borders and had a total lockdown right at the start. If borders had remained closed we’d have domestic normality like they do in New Zealand. They can’t go abroad on holiday but they are still alive and can do everything else that they normally do.

BTW what Exasperated was trying to say is disingenuous. He said more people in England get tested so more cases are found. For most of the last year one only went to get a test if they felt they had symptoms. The fact that fewer people per head of population in Scotland had symptoms so never went for a test cannot be used as SNPBaad fake news.

Finally, it’s funny how party political revelations are exposed among our members when surely we all want the same things - to not lose loved ones and for the country to get out of Covid as unscathed as possible and return to normal all the sooner.
Clive, several things.

Firstly, I think it's testament to most members on here that they keep their party political stance to themselves for the most part. Especially in the face of what can only be described as constant cheerleading from you re the SNP and an inability to engage in any debate that involves criticism of the dear leader and her policies. I think it speaks for itself that so many have commented on this thread re politics.

It's disingenuous of you to mention covid restrictions in Belgium or Belize. We don't share a border with either of these countries nor do we share covid tackling resources with them. I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here.

Lastly you mention New Zealand. It's a bit of a pointless comparison. New Zealand have a pop density of 18/km squared. Scotland's, 65, UK 275. Pop density massively drives viruses. Regardless of shutting borders you aren't comparing apples with apples. In addition because of the history and geography of these islands shutting internal borders is a tad tricky to say the least.

All of course imho
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:35 pm Any of you bothered to look at deaths from Flu in the last 12 months?
I’d leave it to the experts.

Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

buddyboy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:45 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Clive, several things.

Firstly, I think it's testament to most members on here that they keep their party political stance to themselves for the most part. Especially in the face of what can only be described as constant cheerleading from you re the SNP and an inability to engage in any debate that involves criticism of the dear leader and her policies. I think it speaks for itself that so many have commented on this thread re politics.

It's disingenuous of you to mention covid restrictions in Belgium or Belize. We don't share a border with either of these countries nor do we share covid tackling resources with them. I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here.

Lastly you mention New Zealand. It's a bit of a pointless comparison. New Zealand have a pop density of 18/km squared. Scotland's, 65, UK 275. Pop density massively drives viruses. Regardless of shutting borders you aren't comparing apples with apples. In addition because of the history and geography of these islands shutting internal borders is a tad tricky to say the least.

All of course imho
It’s not just me. The FM has the high approval and trust ratings and is judged to have handled the crisis well.

BTW this is not about me so don’t make it personal.

It’s about Coronavirus and its effect on GLA. Even so, it’s weird and pretty telling seeing some of you implying Scotland should be doing whatever Boris says.