Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus and its effects on GLA

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:39 pm Oh dear, indeed! Not!

I have to say I agree with JetBlue and his balanced reply.

Why is it that on this forum any opposite viewpoint is always trashed, treated in a condescending manner or simply deleted by the Moderator(s)?
It’s not. But Trumpian viewpoints tend to not go down well in Scotland so may solicit a reaction.
atuk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:39 pm
We are vaccinating as many people as we can in the UK; at least those who bothto turn up!

We are in real danger of having no aviation industry left in this country. First it was the anti Heathrow brigade, despite it being the number one airport in the country. Secondly we have the green brigade who are anti fossil fuels! Does this extend to diesel lorries delivering to supermarkets who feed the vast majority of the population or farmers whose diesel tractors plough the fields to sow the seeds be it grain or vegetables.

I laughed this morning when the Former Transport Minister being interviewed regards new electric busses for Glasgow said “we must eradicate diesel from allScottish transport”. Does that include Scotrail whose “new” 125s operate through Dundee to Aberdeen and to and from Glasgow or the Sprinters which provide the stopping service from Glasgow to Arbroath?

Or take the much vaunted, much cancelled Caledonian Macbrayne who, quite frankly couldn’t run a ménage, let alone avreliable ferry service.

And so it goes on. Now Covid is here and it’s here to stay. We have to learn to live with it. After all what did we do during epidemics before Risk Management took over and the tail wags the dog. We took care, got on with life and coped even if through gritted teeth.

I’m quite frankly sick of the U.K.,their inept politicians in all four countries and the fact that somehow, somewhere the Public Sector in this country has become the be all and end all; a type of sacrificial cow to be retained at all costs despite the damage to every other sector and folks livliehoods. Rather like PIK against EDI/GLA!

If it was my choice the bloated, overpaid, underworked Public Sector would form a maximum 30% of GDP with private covering the remaining 70%. And that is just for starters.

Now. An we please have a sensible approach adopted to travel consulting and consorting with those in the industry who actually know how it works and how it can be controlled in a realistic way.
Oh dear. See my earlier reply about epidemiology, virology and public health protection.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive

You’re correct to say few of us, if any, have knowledge of epidemics, scientific data etc however the quid pro quo is those who do have zero business acumen!

I’m not Trumpian, have ever supported Mr Donald Trump or his cohorts but business experience yes shedloads; certificates to prove it no problem; decades of knowledge I tick the box.

It’s just a pity science can’t/won’t meet business but then those in these well padded positions really don’t need to worry about where the next salary payment, final salary pension pot accrual or contract comes from.

Is it really all for our benefit or their self aggrandisement ?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:01 pm Clive

You’re correct to say few of us, if any, have knowledge of epidemics, scientific data etc however the quid pro quo is those who do have zero business acumen!

I’m not Trumpian, have ever supported Mr Donald Trump or his cohorts but business experience yes shedloads; certificates to prove it no problem; decades of knowledge I tick the box.

It’s just a pity science can’t/won’t meet business but then those in these well padded positions really don’t need to worry about where the next salary payment, final salary pension pot accrual or contract comes from.

Is it really all for our benefit or their self aggrandisement ?
I’ll stick to the real experts for my Covid control advice.

The airport bosses with their joint letters and Dewar’s anti- government celebrity vox pops must be feeling very stupid given all they’ve said during the first, second and now third waves. Thank goodness they only run airports and not our nation’s public health response.

Really they should be apologising and saying how wrong they got it IMO.

The good news is we will get through this, when the vaccine has fully reached enough of the population at both ends of an international flight thus making travel safe between the two countries. Many of our popular destinations countries are behind us in this endeavour to get over 70% with both doses so it won’t be just as quick as every last one of us would wish and desire.

Until then it’s essential travel only, enabled only by all of the appropriate mitigation’s at each of the traffic light levels.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Clive wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 pm Derek Provan is at it again

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/airport- ... k-24264725
Totally agree with him
atuk

Post by atuk »

Ekally1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:36 pm [quote=Clive post_id=3712 time=<a href="tel:1623067564">1623067564</a> user_id=2]
Derek Provan is at it again

Totally agree with him
[/quote]

We may be the only two on the same page. Right now I see industry leaders speaking sense of how everything is and will be if there is no chance for scientists and politicians to meet and discuss what proactively help can be given until travel can freely function once more.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Way i see it , 70% have had vaccine , 50% had 2 vaccines ... 75% of american adults had it too ... lets move on and get moving ... governments are being cautious because they will get the blame if anything negative happens , however with zero deaths now and with the success of the vaccine program thanks to the uk conservative government , think its time to think about travel moving , at least some sort of plan or we will be left in limbo , people will lose jobs and tourist destinations and economys will further nose dive ....
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ekally1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm Way i see it , 70% have had vaccine , 50% had 2 vaccines ... 75% of american adults had it too ... lets move on and get moving ... governments are being cautious because they will get the blame if anything negative happens , however with zero deaths now and with the success of the vaccine program thanks to the uk conservative government , think its time to think about travel moving , at least some sort of plan or we will be left in limbo , people will lose jobs and tourist destinations and economys will further nose dive ....
It’s too early. The effect of “herd immunity” starts kicking in two weeks after 70-75% of the population has had both doses according to the experts in that field. And this needs to be at both the origin and destruction.

So now is not the time.

But it soon will be. We are getting there.

But none of this is what Provan was saying so we don’t know what parts of what he was saying you and atuk agree with.

Over the past year he had wanted international travel kept open. He was not qualified to state that it was safe to do so and he was wrong.

Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Ekally1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:36 pm
Clive wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 pm Derek Provan is at it again

Totally agree with him
Utter, utter self interested tosh from Provan once again. The pandemic is far from over yet and Scottish connectivity is at no more or less risk than connectivity anywhere else is. As we have seen in recent years, the biggest threat to regional connectivity is lethargy and inaction on the part of airport bosses. Conveniently deflecting the blame for years of mismanagement is fooling nobody.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Clive wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:42 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm Way i see it , 70% have had vaccine , 50% had 2 vaccines ... 75% of american adults had it too ... lets move on and get moving ... governments are being cautious because they will get the blame if anything negative happens , however with zero deaths now and with the success of the vaccine program thanks to the uk conservative government , think its time to think about travel moving , at least some sort of plan or we will be left in limbo , people will lose jobs and tourist destinations and economys will further nose dive ....
It’s too early. The effect of “herd immunity” starts kicking in two weeks after 70-75% of the population has had both doses according to the experts in that field. And this needs to be at both the origin and destruction.

So now is not the time.

But it soon will be. We are getting there.

But none of this is what Provan was saying so we don’t know what parts of what he was saying you and atuk agree with.

Over the past year he had wanted international travel kept open. He was not qualified to state that it was safe to do so and he was wrong.
Ill agree to disagree