GLA’s plummeting success

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: GLA’s plummeting success

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:19 am Folks when I said one based TUI cast your minds back to 2018. A single 757 based with some 787 long haul rotations.

Yes there is a single 737 based right now due to the impact of Covid and there are departures pencilled in for 2022 based on three/ two 737 plus one 787. Right now TUI finances are parlous. They have just renegotiated a two year delay on loan repayments originally scheduled for April 2022 and have sold their 49% stake in RIU Hotels, a sister company, to raise further cash. Not to reduce debt but to generate cash to keep operating. If you ask me it has all the shades of BCal and Dan-Air back in the eighties and nineties. Any company in this mode isn’t in good shape. The German fleet is 16 aircraft..... down from 39!

Despite the “how good we are, boom, boom” rhetoric you hear from their CEO life is anything but good in TUI land. In house long haul flying from Germany has been shelved; third party flying will be used instead. Therefore, if these GLA flying can be redeployed elsewhere earning better returns then third party flying will provide seats for a reduced operation. TUI have many 737-800 older aircraft; ideal for the booming freighter conversion market leaving more fuel efficient MAX aircraft for a reduced operation with 787s being used on more short/medium haul flying providing back up capacity from LGW, BHX, BRS, MAN and NCL. I can see a radical base overhaul coming up soon.

So Clive exactly which battle has been won? I strongly suspect there were no meetings, deliberations or incentives on the table. TUI had a proposed flying programme in place for S22 anyway which had nothing to do with AGS tabling any offer or incentive.

The acid test will be whether it actually operates as planned or TUI pull their own metal out of Scotland.
Yes it will be. :roll:
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
big ears

Re: GLA’s plummeting success

Post by big ears »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:41 pm Don't agree fully with what Dewar is saying given this year so far:

New service with Air Baltic

Taking Virgin Atlantic from GLA, and getting more routes than we did.

Aer Lingus stepped in Immediately to save EDI flights and left GLA for over a month with no service

BA CityFlyer added new domestic flights from EDI to SOU and GCI

2022:

UA have announced a return

AA have announced a return

DL have announced a return

AC have announced a return

Bigger Jet2 expansion at EDI than at GLA

Ryanair plan to increase based aircraft
I have to agree. Every airline lost to Edinburgh is a "considerable loss" If the trend continues Glasgow will be a charter only airport with little services.....if you want to go anywhere, you will be forced to use that tawdry little airport out east where there is insufficient decent parking at reasonable cost. We get humped all ways.