VS moving to EDI?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

GKirk

Re: VS moving to EDI?

Post by GKirk »

Best thing you can do, awwdabaaby, is to book a flight from GLA.

Looking forward to flying out of GLA again in a couple of weeks, currently scheduled to be a first A320Neo for me 😀
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

awwdabaaby wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:04 am In regards to my comment on the Virgin Atlantic Post on Facebook, someone who must be on here, has indicated I have a hatred of Scotlands East Coast and anything positive that comes of it and I'm well known for it, firstly, Glasgow is my airport, always has, always will be, so when things go east, of course I'm going to get angry, and secondly if you know me as well as you claim to, my aunt lives in the East Coast of the country, albeit further north.

At the end of the day, 99% of us are here for Glasgow and the surrounding area and get hurt when things like Thursdays news brought.

Bill, Clive, remove this post if you wish but I am standing my ground on this
I know who the troll is. He’s a relic from the old days and still active in EGPH Forum and around the fence at EDI.

He is not in here so don’t worry about that, John.

He has a case of mistaken identity.

On the FB post, he thinks you are someone else, someone who was equally as notorious as himself back in the day. I can name names in private.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
kenneth1

Post by kenneth1 »

I directly responded to their CEO expressing my anger and disgust as a loyal passenger who used the service every year and saw it grow to four 747 flights a week at it’s peak (2000 seats a week) with about 70%-75% from the West of Scotland, this loyal customer felt insulted by their claim that this was a New Service and an exciting new chapter for the Scottish customers, I pointed out that they were in fact reducing the capacity by up to 75% and that had I proposed such a strategy to my employers I would have been dismissed. As an ex loyal passenger I also highlighted the Edinburgh IS NOT SCOTLAND!
There is an opportunity for other carriers to step in here, I have used Icelandair at times and been very satisfied with their service, of course Aer Lingus via Dublin provide pre customs clearance at Dublin and a domestic arrival at Orlando.
I see that Ferovial appointed Lysa Scully as a consultant, with her previously being the CEO of La Guardia perhaps we may be given the opportunity of using her many contacts in the aviation world.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Think VS will regret the move ... EDI have a poor record with florida services .. its not there market ..
kenneth1

Post by kenneth1 »

I got a reply from them stating that my comments were submitted to the Executive committee and also was told that the move would provide Scotland with a great opportunity!!
I responded that the reply was as expected and that Edinburgh was not Scotland!
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

kenneth1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:08 pm I got a reply from them stating that my comments were submitted to the Executive committee and also was told that the move would provide Scotland with a great opportunity!!
I responded that the reply was as expected and that Edinburgh was not Scotland!
Tui run florida from both GLA and EDI so i think they can judge who is better for that market , they clearly think GLA has a better market and have prioritised over edi .. just my humbles off course ..
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Sorry to bring back the thread with just an opinion.

But does anyone else think given the fact that UA did not announce EWR flights from GLA today that this VS/DL move will maybe not be as big as they think it is.

In 2019 NYC had around 87k passengers on it, now it has 0 seats available. Orlando had around 91k, now its around 12k seats available next year.

DL/VS consolidating at GLA would allow DL to run to JFK and have the whole market to themselves, VS could run MCO and maintain the majority of the market. Barbados would have also been a welcome addition, and even if necessary the VS aircraft could do winter flights to JFK whilst DL operate elsewhere.

Just a thought.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 pm Sorry to bring back the thread with just an opinion.

But does anyone else think given the fact that UA did not announce EWR flights from GLA today that this VS/DL move will maybe not be as big as they think it is.

In 2019 NYC had around 87k passengers on it, now it has 0 seats available. Orlando had around 91k, now its around 12k seats available next year.

DL/VS consolidating at GLA would allow DL to run to JFK and have the whole market to themselves, VS could run MCO and maintain the majority of the market. Barbados would have also been a welcome addition, and even if necessary the VS aircraft could do winter flights to JFK whilst DL operate elsewhere.

Just a thought.
Don't get what you mean
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:40 pm
GeorgeNTravels wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 pm Sorry to bring back the thread with just an opinion.

Just a thought.
Don't get what you mean
VS and DL are partners and consolidated operations at EDI.

GLA now has a market of 87k people to NYC that is now unserved and a market of 91k to Orlando that is now massively underserved.

If VS and DL stayed at GLA rather than EDI then they would essentially have both markets with little competition.

DL fly to JFK during the summer and VS to MCO, then during the winter VS take over the JFK route alongside Barbados.

If that is any clearer
atuk

Post by atuk »

I’ve been reading these posts with interest. In a previous role the GLA-MCO/SFB flights carried many folks from Dundee, Perth, Fife, Edinburgh and Lothians. Yes there were plenty passengers from Greater Glasgow and Ayrshire too.

What is being overlooked is the critical mass of “Alliance” carriers: Oneworld, Star Alliance and Skyteam all of whom have multiple operations at EDI.

GLA has KLM the only Skyteam airline; Lufthansa the sole Star Alliance carrier and BA representing Oneworld.

Given that Emirates, Air Transat and Westjet aren’t members of any alliance it must be an uphill task to promote the airports profile.

As I and many others have said. It’s back to the 1970s. A few schedules to hubs and a large basket of holiday charters.