Could United be returning??

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Could United be returning??

Post by Clive »

They can’t win. If they had refused to build the A380 capable stand and lounge everyone in here would he giving them pelters. I believe it did keep EK sweet for a very long time and protected the airport’s prized partnership with EK. Nothing’s static though. Change is the only certainty in this industry.

And the stand/airbridges are not just for the A380. It was designed as a flexible multi use facility that can accommodate any aircraft type or two medium sized aircraft. I wouldn’t think DUB is a fair comparison as it is in a monopoly position in the Dublin area and handles around 32 million pax pa. It’s more than an easy sell to airlines interested in serving the Ireland market.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:19 pm They can’t win.
You’re absolutely right. It’s just a pity they don’t seem able to fight back.
pushingtinonceagain

Post by pushingtinonceagain »

Clive wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:19 pm They can’t win. If they had refused to build the A380 capable stand and lounge everyone in here would he giving them pelters. I believe it did keep EK sweet for a very long time and protected the airport’s prized partnership with EK. Nothing’s static though. Change is the only certainty in this industry.

And the stand/airbridges are not just for the A380. It was designed as a flexible multi use facility that can accommodate any aircraft type or two medium sized aircraft. I wouldn’t think DUB is a fair comparison as it is in a monopoly position in the Dublin area and handles around 32 million pax pa. It’s more than an easy sell to airlines interested in serving the Ireland market.
Building the lounge, extension and airbridges was the correct decision in 2016/2017 or whenever that was decided. If it weren’t for COVID and how much of a reset that was for the aviation sector in the UK & EU, I would be supportive of the “special relationship” GLA seem to have with EK……but, I’m no longer of that opinion.
EK seem to get what they want out of Glasgow and give virtually nothing in return as far as I can tell. Prices are sky high and passengers are being rinsed on this route. The A380 is an absolute pain in the arse and the amount of time and effort that’s spent continuing to make it work at the expense of the other airlines seems unjustifiable at this point. Loyalty is great but I’m of the opinion that goes both ways, and adding another Scottish route at the expense of our 2nd flight was a particularly low blow. So, it’s high time GLA sought out competitors. EK go up against multiple similar airlines all over the world at similar airports, time to put business first. That’s what EK do. 2 years of record profits were not achieved by being nice and rewarding loyalty, they’re ruthless (ask the thousands of crew they sacked with no notice in early 2020). They go where the money is and where they get the margins they want. Simple as that.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Undoubtedly we're looking at it with the benefit of hindsight, the decision to build those facilities a number of years ago was quite possibly the correct one at the time. However, looking back now it appears more debateable.

What I think was always questionable is the failure to get in any other middle eastern airlines to compete, as there was surely always a risk of EK not paying back any loyalty.

Of the top of my head, I can only think of GLA, NCL, BLQ and MLA as airports in Europe that have EK, but no other ME3 service - and only GLA and NCL have EK, but no other ME3 or TK.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:29 am Undoubtedly we're looking at it with the benefit of hindsight, the decision to build those facilities a number of years ago was quite possibly the correct one at the time. However, looking back now it appears more debateable.

What I think was always questionable is the failure to get in any other middle eastern airlines to compete, as there was surely always a risk of EK not paying back any loyalty.

Of the top of my head, I can only think of GLA, NCL, BLQ and MLA as airports in Europe that have EK, but no other ME3 service - and only GLA and NCL have EK, but no other ME3 or TK.
No doubt that is because our market is shared with EGPH which does have those services.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

NCL and GLA have both been touted for future TK services though
bill

Post by bill »

Some good debating on here, well done chaps. :D Should I change the thread title to Could EK be leaving? Seriously, just asking.
If anyone wants me to start a United thread and merge these posts, let me know. Happy to do so. :D
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

GKirk wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:53 pm NCL and GLA have both been touted for future TK services though
Yes, certain to happen. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

pushingtinonceagain

Post by pushingtinonceagain »

bill wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:40 pm Some good debating on here, well done chaps. :D Should I change the thread title to Could EK be leaving? Seriously, just asking.
If anyone wants me to start a United thread and merge these posts, let me know. Happy to do so. :D
At this rate the only way Glasgow is going to get a NY route is if someone here starts an airline and does it themselves. Anyone want to chip in for a lightly used A330 or similar? 😂
GLAEWR

Post by GLAEWR »

It’s not all rosy down the other side of the motorway though. JetBlue loads sub 30% since launching, according to our own GeorgeNTravels over on X.