VS moving to EDI?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: VS moving to EDI?

Post by Clive »

GKirk wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:48 am
Ekally1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:20 am
southflyer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:31 am

I don't recall LPL ever having an extensive US portfolio.
They never but we did ... US, AA , UA AC , VS , DL etc etc ... all gone as well as other portfolios ... time for a change .. If we are setting our sights as being LPL , we have a low bar
TBF, PIK also had an extensive long haul network. The market changes, sadly.
Aye, EDI wasn’t an option when PIK lost its monopoly on tx flights. The airlines served Scotland through GLA. If they were just wanting to serve the Glasgow area they would use GLA but if they can serve Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland through EDI they will.

Thankfully the likes of Emirates appreciate the demographic specifics for their market and serve Glasgow and beyond through GLA.

For shorter haul flights this notion of serving Scotland as a whole diminishes so that the likes of BA, KL, LH, etc, use both airports to capture the market.

If we extend Bearsden’s argument to holiday dsy flights in England we will see that in general the further or more niche the destination the more the airlines focus solely on MAN and LGW and the mass market Euro beaches are available from many more local airports.

It’s to do with economics, not poor management of individual airports.

Sadly Covid, on top of everything else, has shaken the tree and the weaker fruits have fallen. Things may settle differently after recovery and that is a real shame for everyone involved at GLA.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Clive wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:23 am

If Bearsden is correct, and I suspect he is, then no airport management could alter the business case.

We can teleport his explanation to LPL and MAN. Any global airline will want to serve the NW England region from MAN, not LPL. Transferring MAN’s route development team to LPL could not alter that IMO.
They never but we did ... US, AA , UA AC , VS , DL etc etc ... all gone as well as other portfolios ... time for a change .. If we are setting our sights as being LPL , we have a low bar
Don’t get me wrong - I’d take a change in a heartbeat and grasp at any straw right now - but I don’t think that will alter the hard nosed facts that we have to face.

I still can’t see a great deal of growth coming from anywhere unless we land a Ryanair base.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
McG

Post by McG »

southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Ekally1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:20 amThey never but we did ... US, AA , UA AC , VS , DL etc etc ... all gone as well as other portfolios ... time for a change .. If we are setting our sights as being LPL , we have a low bar
I think you missed the point...
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

That was because there was an government embargo stopping flights ex gla and edi
Paris

Post by Paris »

Ekally1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm

That was because there was an government embargo stopping flights ex gla and edi
Yup & as soon as this ridicules Imposed ruling was rescinded …. All PIK transatlantic traffic switched to GLA + many more joined the party… GLA has now lost that niche it had to EDI & it is now way, way out in front as this countries premier airport destination for both outbound & inbound traffic. Lots of reasons of course for this, but in my mind past & present (mis) management, personnel, skills, experience, policy etc, etc is at the forefront of blame/reason. Doubt there are many on this forum not on same thinking…
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:56 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:20 amThey never but we did ... US, AA , UA AC , VS , DL etc etc ... all gone as well as other portfolios ... time for a change .. If we are setting our sights as being LPL , we have a low bar
I think you missed the point...
Yes, I was trying to explain the reality of how the airlines will view the situation when choosing which facility to use to access the Scottish market and destination Scotland.

Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Paris wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:15 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Yup & as soon as this ridicules Imposed ruling was rescinded …. All PIK transatlantic traffic switched to GLA + many more joined the party… GLA has now lost that niche it had to EDI & it is now way, way out in front as this countries premier airport destination for both outbound & inbound traffic. Lots of reasons of course for this, but in my mind past & present (mis) management, personnel, skills, experience, policy etc, etc is at the forefront of blame/reason. Doubt there are many on this forum not on same thinking…
It’s easy for us to say but the reality is probably far removed from that.

To me it’s more because EDI has woken up over the last 20-30 years.

To be fair, if it was the only airport in central Scotland (or if GLA was) we’d have as many pax and flights as DUB or MAN. But the market is split between 3 airports.

bill

Post by bill »

Clive wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:26 pm

It’s easy for us to say but the reality is probably far removed from that.

To me it’s more because EDI has woken up over the last 20-30 years.

To be fair, if it was the only airport in central Scotland (or if GLA was) we’d have as many pax and flights as DUB or MAN. But the market is split between 3 airports.
Ergo GLA hasn't in my opinion. I also think we all agree that there should really only be 2 pax airports in the central belt and not the third.
As we've all lamented before, one central Scottish hub would have been the best solution but it is what it is.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Globespan flew from LPL to EWR in 2006, I think. Needless to say it was a disaster and they lost shed loads of money. The route was complimented by a STN service too!