Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus and it’s effects on GLA

Post by Clive »

Gla1 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:26 pm Not looking good for Spain (Or at least certain parts) continuing to be on the green list of places to go in terms of the U.K. government for England anyway.
Awkward moment for the Scottish government to have suddenly do a u turn despite the infection rate over there in certain areas being worse than what it was initially when the decision wasn’t to allow Spain onto the list. The mind boggles!

It wasn’t a u turn. They said at the time they needed more time to consider travel from Spain rather than just wave through the English findings.

That’s exactly what they did.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:47 pm
Gla1 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:26 pm Not looking good for Spain (Or at least certain parts) continuing to be on the green list of places to go in terms of the U.K. government for England anyway.
Awkward moment for the Scottish government to have suddenly do a u turn despite the infection rate over there in certain areas being worse than what it was initially when the decision wasn’t to allow Spain onto the list. The mind boggles!

It wasn’t a u turn. They said at the time they needed more time to consider travel from Spain rather than just wave through the English findings.

As an example, there have been 10 Ryanair flights at Prestwick to/from Tenerife since July 1st - I wonder how many have or are self-isolating and if anybody has bothered checking up on arrivals?
atuk

Post by atuk »

Bearsden wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:59 pm [quote=Clive post_id=1165 time=<a href="tel:1595436476">1595436476</a> user_id=2]
[quote=Gla1 post_id=1164 time=<a href="tel:1595435205">1595435205</a> user_id=98]
Not looking good for Spain (Or at least certain parts) continuing to be on the green list of places to go in terms of the U.K. government for England anyway.

[/quote]

As an example, there have been 10 Ryanair flights at Prestwick to/from Tenerife since July 1st - I wonder how many have or are self-isolating and if anybody has bothered checking up on arrivals?
[/quote]

Just to give a comparison with MAN which was a market leader in IT traffic. Saturday TUI had three departures- IBZ, PMI and KGS. Jet2 looked to be the busiest with five flights and on Tuesday during my shift FR had 9 departures. There is a lot of expensive metal lying idle: TUI 787s which normally serve sFB, CUN and Caribbean Islands just not flying, Sardinia and Sicily both off limits together with Portugal although it didn’t stop the FR FAO on Tuesday.

For myself I’ve just booked for Munich in September staying in Freising for 5 nights and perhaps , if this situation improves, we shall go to Lisbon next spring.

I’ve come back home to the news that CMV have gone bust, three Fred Olsen cruise ships are berthed in Rosyth together with the Azamara ships in KGV.

The leisure industry is now broken: it just remains to see who will survive.

Summer 2020 simply isn’t happening; as the French say c’est totalement foutou! :evil:
sunflyer

Post by sunflyer »

Believe 700 from Swissport told surplus to requirements, 2 days ago in Glasgow.

Who do they handle at present?
ScotFlyer

Post by ScotFlyer »

sunflyer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:27 pm Believe 700 from Swissport told surplus to requirements, 2 days ago in Glasgow.

Air Canada Rouge (Not operating for S20)
Air Transat
BH Air (Not operating for S20)
Blue Air
Delta (Not operating for S20)
easyJet
Emirates
KLM
Ryanair
TUI
Virgin Atlantic
Wizz Air
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

ScotFlyer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:10 pm
sunflyer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:27 pm Believe 700 from Swissport told surplus to requirements, 2 days ago in Glasgow.

Air Canada Rouge (Not operating for S20)
Air Transat
BH Air (Not operating for S20)
Blue Air
Delta (Not operating for S20)
easyJet
Emirates
KLM
Ryanair
TUI
Virgin Atlantic
Wizz Air
How many of the 700 are employed full time versus seasonal ?
sunflyer

Post by sunflyer »

Dont know, but one person told me that he had been there for years, and was asked to go in on temp contract 3 weeks ago like others, now been told not got a job.
Said they have been told entitled to nothing as they went back under new terms
That doesnt seem right to me. (Something doesnt add up to me about this)
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

sunflyer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:47 pm Dont know, but one person told me that he had been there for years, and was asked to go in on temp contract 3 weeks ago like others, now been told not got a job.
Said they have been told entitled to nothing as they went back under new terms
That doesnt seem right to me. (Something doesnt add up to me about this)
After reading this thread, I asked our HR adviser at work if a company can do this . Basically redundancy is years of service normally and not necessary wouldn't change from a contract change . Obviously we are not privy to info but employee could have a chance at tribunal if comes to it
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

A bit academic perhaps but I haven't seen a post with the last few months' passenger numbers
Mar 293,928 -55%
Apr 4,059
May 2,790
atuk

Post by atuk »

Well that’s news to me too. As far as I know, and it’s not been updated, there are 421 redundancies at EDI and 320 in GLA. This compares with Menzies who gave 160 redundancies at GLA and 150 in EDI.

This is obviously a very unsettling time for everyone in ground handling: I know the breakdown of numbers by roles for the company I work for at the airport I work in.

These figures quoted by Sunflyer sound as they relate to both airports, not just GLA.

Folks will be having 1-2-1 meetings. I’m not going to discuss details or speculate on outcomes but it would be good to know that those outwith the industry are thinking about us rather than speculate and bandy numbers around.