Question

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

hads

Question

Post by hads »

Not on FR24 much. But today I am looking at a red aircraft icon heading to Glasgow. Whats that all about?
ianegpf

Re: Question

Post by ianegpf »

Appears to be a KLM677 A330 from Amsterdam to Calgary squawking 7700 diverting to Prestwick...reason unknown as yet.

IB
hads

Post by hads »

I assume that means "problematic" ?
ianegpf

Post by ianegpf »

It is used for Medical emergencies or technical problems etc however in this case, as it has landed on runway 12 and exited at the end onto shorter runway 21 and pulled up and shutdown, looks to be technical.

IB
McG

Post by McG »

Given where it's been parked, I don't think it's technical or medical.
hads

Post by hads »

ianegpf wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:53 pm It is used for Medical emergencies or technical problems etc however in this case, as it has landed on runway 12 and exited at the end onto shorter runway 21 and pulled up and shutdown, looks to be technical.

IB
thanks for clarifying. Now I know!
ianegpf

Post by ianegpf »

No problem :)
I'm also assuming they used Prestwick as their alternate as it would possibly/probably be an overweight landing and they have a nice long runway to use and if it was going to be blocked for any reason would limit the impact on other movements...presuming as always ;)

IB
McG

Post by McG »

McG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:00 pm Given where it's been parked, I don't think it's technical or medical.
Just been sent a message saying technical issue.

I assumed due to it being parked on the cross runway away from the terminal that it may have been security related rather than technical.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Posted elsewhere that smoke reported in the cabin/cockpit
McG

Post by McG »

Smoke in the cockpit would explain why they went to PIK if it was the nearest airport.

Otherwise PIK would have been a strange choice given there's a NOTAM out saying aircraft stands are available, however limited or no passenger handling or terminal building services.