1-11s,707s and DC-10s

Moderators: bill, Clive

GeorgeNTravels

Re: 1-11s,707s and DC-10s

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

bill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:45 pm Right, we're off on a thread drift but while we are I'm taking full advantage. :D . I wan't to know the answer to the upcoming question and if folks start throwing toys out the pram they'll be on a wee holiday until the Euro's are over, at least.
So, my question,(because I'm genuinely interested), how many airlines fly into EDI as a comparison to GLA?
For this summer;

EDI: 35
GLA: 15

EK will take EDI to 36 and SunExpress will take GLA to 16
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:04 pm
Clive wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:13 pmGiven that “it’s aw wan market BTW” it’s not really comparable as we have 3 airports splitting the prize.
It was "aw wan market BTW” as you so eloquently put it, 10 years ago when GLA had 25+ airlines. It was "aw wan market BTW” when GLA was Scotland's busiest airport.

Furthermore, GLA isn't the only airport in the world that has to compete with neighbouring airports. MAN shares a market with LPL and LBA to name just two. BRS shares a market with EXT and CWL.
Exactly. And without actually counting we all know that those secondary airports have few airlines compared to the dominant one in each area. Thanks for backing up my point for me. We should never have accepted that it’s all the one market because in doing so we sold GLA down the river.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Clive wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:29 pm
FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:04 pm
Clive wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:13 pmGiven that “it’s aw wan market BTW” it’s not really comparable as we have 3 airports splitting the prize.
It was "aw wan market BTW” as you so eloquently put it, 10 years ago when GLA had 25+ airlines. It was "aw wan market BTW” when GLA was Scotland's busiest airport.

Furthermore, GLA isn't the only airport in the world that has to compete with neighbouring airports. MAN shares a market with LPL and LBA to name just two. BRS shares a market with EXT and CWL.
Exactly. And without actually counting we all know that those secondary airports have few airlines compared to the dominant one in each area. Thanks for backing up my point for me. We should never have accepted that it’s all the one market because in doing so we sold GLA down the river.
GLA sold itself down the river. Or down the M8 to be precise.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:08 pmFor this summer;

EDI: 35
GLA: 15

EK will take EDI to 36 and SunExpress will take GLA to 16
Thank you for sharing.

Shocking stats and in no way a true reflection of demand for air travel from central Scotland. AGS need to go!
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

GLA shouldn't be the secondary airport in central Scotland. You're right, we should never have accepted this but until AGS are gone nothing will change.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

FlyGLA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:24 am
GLA shouldn't be the secondary airport in central Scotland. You're right, we should never have accepted this but until AGS are gone nothing will change.
AGS may be gone soon but that won’t alter the attractiveness of Edinburgh as a destination. We can’t deny it’s one of Europe’s top city break destinations and geographically EGPH sits perfectly to serve all this “wan market”. It has also attained a critical mass which ensures airlines will consolidate Scottish services there and not elsewhere.

I’m not being pessimistic but realistic. GLA bosses have had to work in the real world since BAA was dissolved. What I hope will change when AGS are gone is GLA will secure a Ryanair base instantly and an additional 2 million pax coming from 40 cities across every corner of Europe, and that we get Turkish Airlines, a couple of US hub services and Virgin to MCO and that punters will support these services in droves. We can’t expect parity with Turnhoose even after AGS but we must expect no less than realistic market share for GLA.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Massive thread drift but as usual members wanted to compare GLA to EDI.

For info for our younger viewers, back in the days from the mid nineties backwards, EDI never had big outbound IT ops so the effect of the consolidation of charter carriers over the decades didn’t impact it to such an extent.

Furthermore, many years ago I did some calculations and found that the majority of EDI pax were flying to/from London. That’s more than half of the total pax numbers. EDI supporters used to boast it was the businessman’s airport, full of pin stripe suits rather than shell suits. Scheduled international service could be counted on one hand even as recently as the early 1990’s.

But in the evolution of air travel those were early days. Mass holiday travel abroad by air only been going for about 20 years. And that brings us back to atuk’s original post. Although the cost of taking such holidays was far more expensive relatively speaking, so too would be the costs for all those individual tour operators and charter airlines. The inefficiencies involved make you wonder how any of them ever survived for as long as they did.

awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

It should also be noted that back then, GLA had multiple IT operators, operators that with ceased ops, merged into other airlines, or simply chose to move away from the IT operation.

Early 2000s we were looking at Airtours, Flying Colours, Caledonian (both merging to form JMC) Air 2000, Britannia, Monarch, if memory serves me right, we also had Leisure, Airworld, and possibly Virgin Sun (very limited) I'm not 100% sure about the last one, but we also had AIr Europa, Futura, Spanair, Iberworld, LTE, Nouvelair, Onur Air and Pegasus.

Times change sadly
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

awwdabaaby wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:47 am It should also be noted that back then, GLA had multiple IT operators, operators that with ceased ops, merged into other airlines, or simply chose to move away from the IT operation.

Early 2000s we were looking at Airtours, Flying Colours, Caledonian (both merging to form JMC) Air 2000, Britannia, Monarch, if memory serves me right, we also had Leisure, Airworld, and possibly Virgin Sun (very limited) I'm not 100% sure about the last one, but we also had AIr Europa, Futura, Spanair, Iberworld, LTE, Nouvelair, Onur Air and Pegasus.

Times change sadly
Yes we had all of them and many more. At times and some for longer than others between charters scheduled we’ve had Air Malta, Helios, Air Scotland, FlyGlobespan, Zoom, Canada 3000, Air Club International, Air Atlantis, Atlantic Airlines, Royal Airlines, SAS, Wideroe, a German co that flew ATR’s from DUS, and the list goes on.

FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

Air Scandic. I think they flew A300s from GLA to Florida.